Hawaii, Here I Come!!

FANaddic(t)

Reaction score
I just booked a flight to Hawaii! I haven't visited in four years and I can't wait to see my best friend and have her daughter call me "Auntie". She's on Oahu and we'll probably make an inter-island trip to Kauai. Yay! I plan on playing as many ukuleles as possible. (And more than likely, my UAS will kick in and I'll buy another. Thus far, I have Kamaka, Pohaku, Martin, and a Flea [all concerts]...what else do I "need"?!

Does MGM have an actual store?

Also, does anyone want to jam? I haven't played with another ukulist...well, EVER. :( Living in Louisiana kind of secludes me. Everything I've learned has been self-taught and thanks to UU staff + Aldrine. I'll be on Oahu Aug 5 - 21 and making a few days trip to Kauai somewhere in there. Let me know if you're up for it!!

Other things I'm looking forward to: L&L Chicken Katsu, Ono on Kapahulu, shave ice, papayas, and longboarding!!!!!!

:shaka:

I just booked a flight to Hawaii! I haven't visited in four years and I can't wait to see my best friend and have her daughter call me "Auntie". She's on Oahu and we'll probably make an inter-island trip to Kauai. Yay! I plan on playing as many ukuleles as possible. (And more than likely, my UAS will kick in and I'll buy another. Thus far, I have Kamaka, Pohaku, Martin, and a Flea [all concerts]...what else do I "need"?!

Also, does anyone want to jam? I haven't played with another ukulist...well, EVER. :( Living in Louisiana kind of secludes me. Everything I've learned has been self-taught and thanks to UU staff + Aldrine. I'll be on Oahu Aug 5 - 21 and making a few days trip to Kauai somewhere in there. Let me know if you're up for it!!

Other things I'm looking forward to: L&L Chicken Katsu, Ono on Kapahulu, shave ice, papayas, and longboarding!!!!!!

:shaka:

Be SURE to do a Koaloha Factory TOUR!! check out my video on my youtube page.. youtube.com/dominicfoundthemoon and the Koaloha website.. they will show you around.. play a song or two for you.. it is a small shop.. but just made amazing by the family of people.. one of the best things about my trip to hawaii.. and it was FREE!! GREAT PEOPLE! a MUST DO!

and when you go looking for the factory.. don't get lost.. its kind of hidden back in this industrial looking cove.. with a small door..

go go go!

Not as of late last year...I called him when I was in Kaneohe between Christmas and New Year and he said he only did business over the internet.

Oh, and make sure you check out Shimazu in Honolulu (not far from the airport) for shave ice!

Last edited:
Hey! Aloha to you...I leave for Hawaii tomorrow. I'm so excited. I'm going to tour the Kanile'a factory in Oahu, and I already mapped out the stores I can't wait to hit (Aloha Ukulele, Bob's Ukulele, Easy's Music Center, Island Guitars and Ukulele Puapua on Oahu, and Larry's and Scotty's in Kauai).

I wish I could succumb to UAS but I think I'll have to stick to SAS (string acquisition syndrome) while I'm there.

What do you need? How about a tenor while you are there?

I think I read Musicguymic will set up an appointment with you out by him in Kaneohe, but he doesn't have a retail store.

Have a great time!

imma be in hawaii next month hopefully june 9th-23rd. :) come early and we can jam

i am so freaking upset.. i had the chance to live in hawaii.. my GF job there offered her an extension.. but i had to come back to missouri to finish my teaching contract.. had that not happened.. i would be in hawaii right now!! we want to go back.. but chances are slim to none that she will get offered another travel nurse job in hawaii..

so calie it looks like it might be.. still wont know for a bit..

Whenever I have a crappy day at work I come home and tell my wife that I'm going to quit my job and move us to Hawaii... and that's three out of five days, usually :)

She promised me that we'd go ASAP, probably next summer (with the actual wedding ceremony in August and my gainful employment not so gainful since my contract is up after this year, this summer's only trip will be our honeymoon to Nantucket).

I'm going to try to save up my UAS money to get a nice uke from an actual uke shop when I go... and enjoy being able to say "ookoolaylee" instead of "youkoolaylee" and not have to repeat myself and explain why I said it funny.

Gotta love the Bible Belt.

That was totally unrelated.... but oh well. I'm still trying to graduate from PW Padawan to PW whatever comes after padawan...

To the OP -- have a great time in Hawaii. Terrific place and I also would love to live there.

Question: How will you be able to go to all those ukulele places and not get UAS?

Lucky You! I wanna go to Hawaii so badly ;-)
But.. :p In 1.5 years approx I am considering applying for a school there so who knows ;-)

I have a warehouse and private showroom by appointment only...located close to Windward Mall.....We are generally to busy to have regular store hours....call for appoinments

I'll be contacting you! For sure!

It's a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live here. ;)

It's a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live here. ;)

I don't live there but I would agree. It's really a special place for my wife and I and we'd like to keep it that way. I am sure the locals are happier that way too....

Sad thing is I had a Great Uncle that lived in Honolulu and didn't know it until he passed away. I would have visited.... and no I would not have asked to stay with him....

If you have a rental car while you are there, take a drive on the H3 to Kaneohe or Kailua. From Honolulu it's pretty uneventful and then you go through a tunnel and it's spectacular. They have a great beach over in Kailua and then you can drive around the East end of the island back to Honolulu. It's a great drive and doesn't take too long. It's not a pretty as the "Road to Hana" but it's a lot more fun to drive.... Probably Safer too...

Just recently returned from waikiki.Stayed for 11 nights.One of the most friendly and helpful ukulele shops I went to was Ukulele Pua Pua 2490 Kalakau ave .If I remember correctly it was in the Pacific Beach Hotel.

Just recently returned from waikiki.Stayed for 11 nights.One of the most friendly and helpful ukulele shops I went to was Ukulele Pua Pua 2490 Kalakau ave .If I remember correctly it was in the Pacific Beach Hotel.

I completely agree. I visited Aloha Ukulele, Bob's Ukulele and Ukulele Puapua today. Aloha was fine, and I found the customer service totally lacking at Bob's. The folks at Puapua though were amazing! Even though I wasn't buying a uke, the guy was incredibly friendly and helpful. We also had a long discussion about strings. I can't afford a new uke but if I could, I would absolutely buy it at Puapua. They also had an amazing selection of ukes!

Top Bottom