Fremont Soloist - KoAloha Nightmare

strat4me

Reaction score
In threads back a few years it was suggested that the Soloist low G (being a high tension string) could damage a Koaloha tenor due to the bracing system.
Anyone able to confirm or refute this from experience?

In threads back a few years it was suggested that the Soloist low G (being a high tension string) could damage a Koaloha tenor due to the bracing system.
Anyone able to confirm or refute this from experience?

Got the link to the original/previous threads in question?

If not, there's going to be an inordinate amount of re-hashing and re-treading, which we can avoid by looking at the previous conversations BEFORE revisiting the issue.

Having said that, in the 4.5 yrs I am on UU, I've not seen these threads pop up, so this issue in question is news to me.

Got the link to the original/previous threads in question?

If not, there's going to be an inordinate amount of re-hashing and re-treading, which we can avoid by looking at the previous conversations BEFORE revisiting the issue.

Having said that, in the 4.5 yrs I am on UU, I've not seen these threads pop up, so this issue in question is news to me.

With all due respect Booli if we didn't rehash topics we would have very little to talk about. As they say "there is nothing new under the sun". Bringing up any topic gives the opportunity for fresh experience and feed back. I would not have contributed to the prior thread but I can now.

*My sister owns a KCM-00 strung low G with the Fremont for at least a year with no issues.
*A friend and fellow UUer came to my house with a KTM-00 it had a florocarbon low G and we switched it to the Fremont and it sounded great. It's been probably 6 months and he has had no issues at all.
* I can't image there is much difference in tension between the Worth low G that it comes with at .0358" diameter and .030" of the Fremont wound low G. Maybe someone that knows tensions can answer this.

Last edited:
With all due respect Booli if we didn't rehash topics we would have very little to talk about. As they say "there is nothing new under the sun". Bringing up any topic gives the opportunity for fresh experience and feed back. I would not have contributed to the prior thread but I can now....

No worries about any of that, nor am I disrespecting the want to bring up old topics as I agree with you.

My point was meant that when referring to something else, whether it a conversation on UU, a product on a web site, a photo, or a video, without a LINK to said reference, we have little context upon which to respond.

"everything old is new again" fer sure, but maybe I am asking too much for links to be included for the intended point(s) of reference?

If so, then my bad. I'll submit to my thrashings now :) and please carry on as normal...

Last edited:
No worries about any of that, nor am I disrespecting the want to bring up old topics as I agree with you.

My point was meant that when referring to something else, whether it a conversation on UU, a product on a web site, a photo, or a video, with a LINK to said reference, we have little context upon which to respond.

"everything old is new again" fer sure, but maybe I am asking too much for links to be included for the intended point(s) of reference?

If so, then my bad. I'll submit to my thrashings now :) and please carry on as normal...

I completely agree with you about supplying links to the threads that have been referenced. That way we know what has been said and maybe will learn something that we not not know before.

I would never thrash you my brother, you're too good a person and too valuable a member for that:D

I completely agree with you about supplying links to the threads that have been referenced. That way we know what has been said and maybe will learn something that we not not know before.

I would never thrash you my brother, you're too good a person and too valuable a member for that:D

Thanks Dave!
:smileybounce:

My memory is foggy on this. Many months ago when I asked some folks (not on UU) about adding a low G to one of my ukes, someone suggested putting a Fremont Soloist on my KoAloha concert because of the bracing, not in spite of the bracing. I never put it on, so I have no experience with it.

Last edited:
With all due respect Booli if we didn't rehash topics we would have very little to talk about. As they say "there is nothing new under the sun". Bringing up any topic gives the opportunity for fresh experience and feed back. I would not have contributed to the prior thread but I can now.

*My sister owns a KCM-00 strung low G with the Fremont for at least a year with no issues.
*A friend and fellow UUer came to my house with a KTM-00 it had a florocarbon low G and we switched it to the Fremont and it sounded great. It's been probably 6 months and he has had no issues at all.
* I can't image there is much difference in tension between the Worth low G that it comes with at .0358" diameter and .030" of the Fremont wound low G. Maybe someone that knows tensions can answer this.

Thanks. This seems to confirm my hopes as I too found the Soloist preferable to the many other options I tried.

Top Bottom