Trade secret revealed?

sequoia

Reaction score
One thing I love about Gorden at Mya-Moe Ukuleles is that he has always shared everything he does building ukes. He holds nothing back. I've learned so much watching his videos.

Now I've been carving necks which always tax's me to the max. Always an adventure since it really is sculpture and not wood working. I was watching a video of Gorden finishing out a neck with an orbital sander and he said watch this: He ran the orbital sander up the side of the fret board to create a 30 degree angle relief. He went hard on the edge. Now everybody knows to cut back the frets to 30 or 40 degrees and I use a file to do this, but taking an orbital sander and actually cutting into the fretboard sides is way more than I can deal with. Guess what? It works a trick and makes fret drag disappear even before they are dressed. I think this is real secret revealed. You definitely don't want to over do this step or it would be disaster. Zip zip and you are done. About 22 seconds, Pictures below:

DSCN8015.jpg

DSCN8017.jpg

DSCN8019.jpg

Birth of a Mya Moe. Agreed, great video series and learning source. I too have learned so much from them. The one "trade secret" that I found particularly helpful was the application of Truoil using the blue shop towels. They work a treat.

Top Bottom