Tiny Tenor vs Blackbird Clara

TobyDog

Reaction score
Can anyone speak to the sound similarities/differences between a solid wood Tiny Tenor and the Clara?

Thanks!

Totally different. I have a Clara and have played several examples of the tiny tenor. The Clara is loud. A tad boomy. The sound to me has a taint of too much echo that I had in my fluke or in an ovation guitar I used to have. That said the Clara is probably my favorite all around uke. The action is perfect. Intonation is spot on. I happen to prefer a concert neck.

Tiny tenors i’ve played varied a lot. Loud for the size but more like a typical solid wood uke. Of the several I’ve played I can’t remember a unique tiny tenor sound.

To me the Clara is more like a refined fluke. Tone is like a wooden uke with a pinch of fluke. For me I would take the Clara over almost any other uke for travel, playing out with groups and teaching. My second choice for all rounder is koaloha Opio concert - great sound and relatively inexpensive for replaceable. I think the upside of the tiny tenor is the tenor neck on the small body - and that has no appeal to me. Also
big tonal difference between the mass produced tiny tenor and the more expensive custom builds.

Again just considering the sound the Clara and the tiny tenor are both decent ukes. But they are inherently very different.

Are you looking for a louder uke?
I looked at both those as well before deciding on the Tiny Tenor. I needed a louder uke as I have started performing and my uke was not as audible as the others in my group.

Clara - very very loud. Not a pleasing tone to my ears but talented players can make it sound really good. Hard to destroy physically. Doesn't use endangered wood to create it. However, it is super obnoxious to sit next to someone playing one in a workshop where they keep playing poorly.

Tiny Tenor - i love mine. Beautiful tone. I have a solid wood one instead of a laminate. It is louder than most ukes the same size but not as loud as a Clara. In my limited and humble opinion, it isn't a good strumming uke. Great for more fingerstyle playing and picking.

I'm not necessarily looking for a louder uke. Just trying to do research before buying my next one. I've only heard them on the web, and they both sound good to me - it's difficult to pick up subtleties from a web recording.

I like concert size, and I mainly fingerpick. Right now I have a Pono concert mahogany and a Walnut Flea with upgraded fretboard and tuners.

Thanks for the info!

Yes the Clara is very loud. I teach ukulele classes so the volume is useful for me. It’s also good for playing leads in a group where standing out is needed. I have had many ukes and used to buy and try a lot. The player is more important so long as the uke has good intonation and good action. This website feeds an unhealthy focus on the instruments. That’s the main reason I don’t hang around here that much anymore.

If you buy off the web there is a good chance you will be disappointed unless you have a really clear idea. A uke really doesn’t have its own sound. The sound is the uke being played by the player.

What's more important than volume is tone, you can have a loud ukulele with a brash...tone which may be undesirable to your ears
Also every ukulele will
have its own voice, even in the same brands and models, choose your ukulele wisely, use your ears and fingers, they will Tell you the right one for you. Personal preference is a big factor too, get a great setup too

I agree with Stan's recommendations. While I have not owned a Tiny Tenor, I have played several and also heard in person Daniel Ho playing a stock production model. All of the ones I've played or heard were set up Low G. They are impressive.

I have owned a Clara and am a big fan. It works well High G or Low G. Strings make a big difference on the tone. I had Aquila Reds on mine (this 3 years ago) and it sounded fantastic. Some people find the shape a bit awkward to hold, so it would be good to check one out in person. I think they are outstanding, very versatile instruments.

Yep, they're definitely in different price ranges. I'm comparing them because from what I've seen and heard on the web, I like them both. For now, I'm concentrating on improving my playing, but in the spring (if I can hold out that long) I'll reward myself with a new uke.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Yep, they're definitely in different price ranges. I'm comparing them because from what I've seen and heard on the web, I like them both. For now, I'm concentrating on improving my playing, but in the spring (if I can hold out that long) I'll reward myself with a new uke.

Thanks for the input everyone!

I too have been thinking of waiting till spring to decide if I should get a Clara. Our climax is similar .

But let me tell you if I had an additional $1K or so fall into my lap, I would spring for a Clara to take with me on rock climbing trips because of how brutal the environment is. I'm sure it could survive being pitched off a ledge. I was watching videos of their construction and they seem very strong.

Kits - It's an easy decision for you because you already have a Tiny Tenor;)

I'm leaning towards the all mahogany TT today, luckily The Uke Site doesn't have any right now.

I don’t own either but have played both. I found the Clara to have a clear strong sound. A bit stronger than I care for. The Tiny Tenor had a sweeter sound but the different solid woods made a huge difference. The Koa gave me the best sound but they all sounded good. The Clara reminded me of a KoAloha in loudness. No humidity problems.

TobyDog, If you want a big sound (seems like you'll need it to play larger venues) go with the solid Koa Tiny Tenor. It is much louder than my solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor. Romero puts a reverse fan bracing with tapered ends in the Tiny Tenor. This, I believe, allows for a smoother and longer sustain. You can pound the Koa TT and it won't falter.

Tiny Tenor

I have the Tiny Tenor all solid Mahogany.
I have not tried many other all solid Tenor ukulele.
I just saw this brand and loved the look of it and bought it online without even trying it in person.
I think the size for me is great and the tone amazing.
I got the Hig version simply because Uke republic had a deal on it at the time.
How does the Tiny Tenor compare with comparable solid wood Tenor ukuleles for volume and tone if anyone knows please.?.
Is the volume good considering it’s Concert size, love to hear your opinions...

Great Thread. I have a TT - solid top that has surpassed my expectation. Excellent sound and build. I'm a tenor player, I wasn't sure I'd like the shape after having a FLUKE but I love it. The TT has effectively replaced my FLUKE. It will be going up for sale. Everything about TT I like. so much so , that I now want a TT in all solid wood. Thanks for recommendation on Koa. It will either be a KOA or perhaps a Spruce/Walnut. I'm taking my TT solid for 7 month tour of Australia. I figure , it plays goods, the case is light and protects uke well and its not a big investment. The humidity and elements I will be in had me thinking about a Clara. Perfect thread. As I'm tenor, I just email Blackbird to see if they would make a long neck Clara. I haven't heard back yet I do like the Farallon so on the fence between the two so the comments about PLAYING is important to me. Even going to a solid wood TT, I want to play a few. So far, all my Tenors (5 - still own 4) have been purchased on line from HMS. Dealer is everything. I will wait until AFTER my trip to get a new UKE. So, at some point I can let everyone know how a TT solid top fairs abroad. By the way, for concert players, there is the NEW RT Concert - by Romero Creations. Concert scale, tenor body, length of a soprano. I'd like to play one also. Good luck and post what you get.

Hi I was at Elderly Instruments in February. I had the privilege of trying the new Tiny Tenor AND a new Clara for about an hour.
Please remember this is not a fair comparison because they are not in the same price range.
While the Tiny Tenor projects a nice sound (it was a solid mahogany ) but I personally prefer the Clara because of the strings response and zero maintenance .
I did not buy neither of these instruments because I already owned a few custom plus the Farallon. If I was to make a purchase that day, Clara would be my choice.
I hope this new review helps !

I have a like-new spalted mango Tiny Tenor for sale for $550, shipped with a hard arch top case. Keeping my Clara. The mango tenor has a wonderful sound and so beautiful in person but I prefer my actual tenor-size tenors. Also I agree the TT is really great for picking.

I've been reading such good things about the Tiny Tenors that I couldn't help myself when the most recent one came up for sale on the Marketplace. It happened to be all-mahogany, the one that most attracted me, the pictures were of a gorgeous example, it was in great barely used condition, and the price was decent. It arrived yesterday! I am very pleased at the attention to detail on this instrument, and such a nice sound in a small package. It is now becoming accustomed to fifths tuning. (Perhaps I am the only TT owner to play it this way - who knows?) I can't speak to its volume so much, because I play by myself and not in groups, but the tone is beautifully and smoothly elegant, well intonated, and it is very responsive and easy to play. A keeper, for sure. Not better or worse than my others, but a different and new voice to play with. It came with no strap buttons, and I'm not sure I want any. The TT is closer in shape to a mandolin or mandola (on which I never use straps) than a typical uke, on which I find them helpful due to their balance issues.

I primarily bought the TT to have something to travel with when need arises, and I only wish the case were a bit slimmer.. It's super light, but looks a bit "chunky", and is obviously meant to fit the laminate TT, which is deeper bodied, as well as the all-solid models I'm a bit paranoid, because after the last time I flew with an instrument, I said "never again!" It was a mandola, transported in my viola case, and the airline gave me grief on the way home, wanting me to check it, as they had overbooked the flight and were only allowing passengers one carry-on (is that really my problem?). I objected strenuously, and finally got to carry it on, but only after an hour of uncertainty and sweating. Anyway, I wish there were a more streamlined snug-fitting and hard case to fit this unusually shaped uke! Other than that, I love it!

(Somebody please stop me from clicking on ads, though - this is getting out of control!)

bratsche

I've been reading such good things about the Tiny Tenors that I couldn't help myself when the most recent one came up for sale on the Marketplace. It happened to be all-mahogany, the one that most attracted me, the pictures were of a gorgeous example, it was in great barely used condition, and the price was decent. It arrived yesterday! I am very pleased at the attention to detail on this instrument, and such a nice sound in a small package. It is now becoming accustomed to fifths tuning. (Perhaps I am the only TT owner to play it this way - who knows?) I can't speak to its volume so much, because I play by myself and not in groups, but the tone is beautifully and smoothly elegant, well intonated, and it is very responsive and easy to play. A keeper, for sure. Not better or worse than my others, but a different and new voice to play with. It came with no strap buttons, and I'm not sure I want any. The TT is closer in shape to a mandolin or mandola (on which I never use straps) than a typical uke, on which I find them helpful due to their balance issues.

I primarily bought the TT to have something to travel with when need arises, and I only wish the case were a bit slimmer.. It's super light, but looks a bit "chunky", and is obviously meant to fit the laminate TT, which is deeper bodied, as well as the all-solid models I'm a bit paranoid, because after the last time I flew with an instrument, I said "never again!" It was a mandola, transported in my viola case, and the airline gave me grief on the way home, wanting me to check it, as they had overbooked the flight and were only allowing passengers one carry-on (is that really my problem?). I objected strenuously, and finally got to carry it on, but only after an hour of uncertainty and sweating. Anyway, I wish there were a more streamlined snug-fitting and hard case to fit this unusually shaped uke! Other than that, I love it!

(Somebody please stop me from clicking on ads, though - this is getting out of control!)

bratsche

You might try looking at cases for pineapple concerts. Mine is in a Reunion Blues Continental, but I doubt that is any smaller than what you have. I'd be interested to hear what you learn.

Top Bottom