Flashmob Venezuela

southcoastukes

Reaction score
Here's something I came across recently. It's shot in the Casco (old quarter) of Maracaibo, the second largest city in Venezuela. The first Europeans arrived at the old Arawak/Carib town in 1499. The Cuatro there is even more ingrained in the cultural fabric than the Ukulele in Hawaii.

The video begins with a solo street musician performing with his Cuatro. At the end of his short instrumental, a fellow in the crowd wearing a jacket in the colors of Venezuela asks if he can join him for a song; then asking if a friend can join in. What follows is the most elaborate flashmob I’ve ever seen, as well over 200 young people and children eventually make up the orchestra. They even made another video about how they made this video.

Maracaibo is in the province of Zulia on the western edge of the country. It was geographically separated from the rest of Venezuela through most of its existence and at various times they almost seceded, thinking they would be better off either as an independent country or as part of Colombia. But in tough times people often seem to rally together. Times in Venezuela are even worse than when this video was made in 2013, but it was obviously meant to inspire in a nation that needs all the hope it can muster. A reminder that a country is finally its people and not its government.

Hope you enjoy it.

Last edited:
Even though flash mobs aren’t as popular as they used to be, I always enjoy watching the power of music unite people in such a way. Thanks for the background information and historical significance of this well made video. Interesting to see that the flash mob appeared much bigger than the actual crowd!

That was cool! It was nice to see the smiles on the faces of the crowd AND the musicians, too!

Top Bottom