PDA

View Full Version : Arthur Godfrey Uke Player

Ukecaster
12-10-2017, 04:02 PM
Saw this on eBay, made from bakelite, back in the 50s. Apparently you strap it on the uke, push a button, and it plays a chord. Seems kinda strange, but I guess folks liked their gizmos back then too. Looks kinda like a prehistoric effects pedal!

Patrick Madsen
12-10-2017, 06:28 PM
Yep, had one on a plastic banjo I think it was back in the early '50's. Perhaps a uke.

Rllink
12-11-2017, 05:09 AM
They are still being made. I saw one in a "beginner's ukulele kit" that I saw at a bookstore last weekend. $49 for a ukulele, a chord changer, and a song book.

I found this just a little while ago. https://www.ukechordchanger.com

Osprey
12-11-2017, 10:42 AM
I seem to remember that about 60 yrs ago, my Dad bought my brother and I a plastic ukulele with a chord player, similar to the above but made of plastic as well. My brother and I were not ready for sharing anything and I remember playing it some but I think I broke it over my brothers head or vice versa. Shame because it was only about 4 yrs ago I got back into playing ukuleles. Interesting find.

Ukecaster
12-11-2017, 12:06 PM
.....My brother and I were not ready for sharing anything and I remember playing it some but I think I broke it over my brothers head or vice versa....

Let me guess...you used to watch El Kabong? ;)