NUD Kimo tenor

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I found this used tenor on FFM and had never heard of this brand. Kimo ukuleles are built outside of the San Diego area by Hank Johnson. I did some research before purchasing this tenor, he has a great website showcasing the many ukuleles he has built over the decades. But my trusted sources here knew very little about these. The person I bought it from ownes many high end ukes, spoke very well of this and gave a 2 day trial period. So I crossed my fingers and took a flyer on this.

This tenor has a curly koa top and flamed maple back and sides, a very unique wood combination. I have been on the look out for a curly koa tenor and a flamed maple tenor, I got both in one uke. I will be perfectly honest I took a gamble on this because I was buying with my eyes. I was NOT disappointed in the least. The workmanship is top notch, details are beautifully executed. It is light in weight, perfectly balanced with an excellent neck profile and radiused fretboard. It plays exceptionally easy. Comes with a side sound port, UPT tuners (standard features, no upcharge) and an optional installed Misi pick up.

The most important part is the sound and it scores full marks. It is on the warm side with good articulation, clairity and resonance. After playing this exclusively for about 5 days I pulled the big boys for a head to head. Against my 3 best, LfdM, I'iwi and Ko'olau the Kimo holds its own. No sonic weaknesses and a very pleasing tone, a keeper for sure. Simon, Brenda and Adam all played it this past week end and they liked it a lot. I think so much of this instrument that I have already commissioned a super concert from Hank. I can't give a better recommendation then that.

2016-12-08-003-1024x577.jpg2016-12-08-001-1024x633.jpg15107437374781589874161.jpg2016-12-08-005-1024x577.jpgIMG_6392.jpg

Congrats Dave. I liked the fulness of the sound- fat and round, not scratchy or harsh at all, and the woods are truly fantastic.

Adam

Nice looking Uke Dave. Do you have a link. The woods are fantastic looking. Glad it sounds good. You can tell the quality in the detail from the pictures. Congratulations.

Congratulations Dave
This one definitely hold its own unique voice and look from your collection
You keep giving me the opportunity to try high end instruments!
It’s dengous living so close to you. I always end up buying after I left your party !
You are a bad bad influence!
Here is a picture I took when I was in San Diego two weeks ago. These are other Kimo ukes available at Hale music if you want one now
58F1C821-0AB8-4A50-9782-5F519DB652D3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking Uke Dave. Do you have a link. The woods are fantastic looking. Glad it sounds good. You can tell the quality in the detail from the pictures. Congratulations.

Hey Monty, just google Kimo Ukuleles and you will be directed to his site.

For what you get his prices are reasonable.

Last edited:
That’s a realy beauty, Dave! I see why you took a gamble and happy it turned out to be a winner tonally!

Consider me jealous! What a unique and great looking uke. Sound sample?

Looks a beauty!

Wow, Dave, that uke looks like the best of both wood worlds! Congrats!
I just had a lengthy discussion with my local luthier, who told me that soon, there it won't be cost effective to build with tropical forest woods. He is building ukes and guitars with pecan, oak, and other indigenous woods now, so it's good that you snatched that (koa) baby up!

Absolutely stunning Dave! So happy for you- always a treat to see what new treasure you have found.
Thanks for posting.

ooh, thanks so much for this report. I had contacted Hank a few years ago about a project and was just about ready to say "go" before we discovered the price list on his web site was, um, out of date. :) Even then it was over my budget and there was also the "unknown quantity" factor. Glad to hear that wasn't a concern.

@Solorule, Nice picture from Hales Ukuleles in SanDiego, Kimo even makes pineapples for you Brenda

@Ukulele Eddie, I thought you might like the maple on this one

@Kyle, I would put up a sound sample but I am having issues

@slackey007 Thanks, I thought it was unique looking as well

@ Larry S, Thank you, what looks a beauty is your new Avatar......nice

@Nickie, You are right about the exotic woods getting harder=more expensive to obtain. Getting this used was a nice find

Last edited:
@Kvehe, Hey Kathyrn it almost looks as good as our Enya frying pans :eek:

@Keod, Thanks Casey it does seem like a lucky score

@Jim Hanks, Hey Jim that is interesting that you had approached him a few years back. I am very pleased with this one.

@Camsuke, Thank you Campbell this one does have a nice fat-round tone as Adam put it. Sounds as good as it looks to me.

Top Bottom