PDA

View Full Version : NUD Kimo tenor

DownUpDave
12-12-2017, 03:31 AM
I found this used tenor on FFM and had never heard of this brand. Kimo ukuleles are built outside of the San Diego area by Hank Johnson. I did some research before purchasing this tenor, he has a great website showcasing the many ukuleles he has built over the decades. But my trusted sources here knew very little about these. The person I bought it from ownes many high end ukes, spoke very well of this and gave a 2 day trial period. So I crossed my fingers and took a flyer on this.

This tenor has a curly koa top and flamed maple back and sides, a very unique wood combination. I have been on the look out for a curly koa tenor and a flamed maple tenor, I got both in one uke. I will be perfectly honest I took a gamble on this because I was buying with my eyes. I was NOT disappointed in the least. The workmanship is top notch, details are beautifully executed. It is light in weight, perfectly balanced with an excellent neck profile and radiused fretboard. It plays exceptionally easy. Comes with a side sound port, UPT tuners (standard features, no upcharge) and an optional installed Misi pick up.

The most important part is the sound and it scores full marks. It is on the warm side with good articulation, clairity and resonance. After playing this exclusively for about 5 days I pulled the big boys for a head to head. Against my 3 best, LfdM, I'iwi and Ko'olau the Kimo holds its own. No sonic weaknesses and a very pleasing tone, a keeper for sure. Simon, Brenda and Adam all played it this past week end and they liked it a lot. I think so much of this instrument that I have already commissioned a super concert from Hank. I can't give a better recommendation then that.

Alytw
12-12-2017, 03:38 AM
Congrats Dave. I liked the fulness of the sound- fat and round, not scratchy or harsh at all, and the woods are truly fantastic.

Adam

DownUpDave
12-12-2017, 03:39 AM
Some more pictures, note the burl overlay and purfling on the back of the headstock

DownUpDave
12-12-2017, 03:41 AM
Congrats Dave. I liked the fulness of the sound- fat and round, not scratchy or harsh at all, and the woods are truly fantastic.

Adam

Thanks Adam, you made it sound great. Like you do with all my instruments that you play.

M3Ukulele
12-12-2017, 04:07 AM
Nice looking Uke Dave. Do you have a link. The woods are fantastic looking. Glad it sounds good. You can tell the quality in the detail from the pictures. Congratulations.

SoloRule
12-12-2017, 04:21 AM
Congratulations Dave
This one definitely hold its own unique voice and look from your collection
You keep giving me the opportunity to try high end instruments!
It’s dengous living so close to you. I always end up buying after I left your party !
You are a bad bad influence!
Here is a picture I took when I was in San Diego two weeks ago. These are other Kimo ukes available at Hale music if you want one now

DownUpDave
12-12-2017, 04:26 AM
Nice looking Uke Dave. Do you have a link. The woods are fantastic looking. Glad it sounds good. You can tell the quality in the detail from the pictures. Congratulations.

Hey Monty, just google Kimo Ukuleles and you will be directed to his site.

For what you get his prices are reasonable.

Ukulele Eddie
12-12-2017, 04:48 AM
Thatís a realy beauty, Dave! I see why you took a gamble and happy it turned out to be a winner tonally!

Kyle23
12-12-2017, 05:57 AM
Consider me jealous! What a unique and great looking uke. Sound sample?

slackkey007
12-12-2017, 06:08 AM
CONGRATS my friend, on your new-to-you, unique looking and sounding uke! AWESOME acquisition!!!:drool:

LarryS
12-12-2017, 06:21 AM
Looks a beauty!

Nickie
12-12-2017, 06:51 AM
Wow, Dave, that uke looks like the best of both wood worlds! Congrats!
I just had a lengthy discussion with my local luthier, who told me that soon, there it won't be cost effective to build with tropical forest woods. He is building ukes and guitars with pecan, oak, and other indigenous woods now, so it's good that you snatched that (koa) baby up!

kvehe
12-12-2017, 07:39 AM
Beautiful! You were in the right place at the right time! Congratulations!

SoloRule
12-12-2017, 07:46 AM
Beautiful! You were in the right place at the right time! Congratulations!

He is in the right place at the right time too often ! ;) He is dangerous

keod
12-12-2017, 08:01 AM
Absolutely stunning Dave! So happy for you- always a treat to see what new treasure you have found.
Thanks for posting.

Jim Hanks
12-12-2017, 08:26 AM
ooh, thanks so much for this report. I had contacted Hank a few years ago about a project and was just about ready to say "go" before we discovered the price list on his web site was, um, out of date. :) Even then it was over my budget and there was also the "unknown quantity" factor. Glad to hear that wasn't a concern.

DownUpDave
12-12-2017, 10:26 AM
@Solorule, Nice picture from Hales Ukuleles in SanDiego, Kimo even makes pineapples for you Brenda

@Ukulele Eddie, I thought you might like the maple on this one

@Kyle, I would put up a sound sample but I am having issues

DownUpDave
12-12-2017, 10:30 AM
@slackey007 Thanks, I thought it was unique looking as well

@ Larry S, Thank you, what looks a beauty is your new Avatar......nice

@Nickie, You are right about the exotic woods getting harder=more expensive to obtain. Getting this used was a nice find

DownUpDave
12-12-2017, 10:35 AM
@Kvehe, Hey Kathyrn it almost looks as good as our Enya frying pans :o

@Keod, Thanks Casey it does seem like a lucky score

@Jim Hanks, Hey Jim that is interesting that you had approached him a few years back. I am very pleased with this one.

@Camsuke, Thank you Campbell this one does have a nice fat-round tone as Adam put it. Sounds as good as it looks to me.

Osprey
12-12-2017, 12:19 PM
What a beauty, Dave! Congratulations! You have great taste in ukuleles.

rappsy
12-12-2017, 12:50 PM
As always, a great find. I especially like the string layout on the bridge, and that it is not laid out evenly and uniform. I love it when little things like this are added to make it something special.

Use it and play it well.

hollisdwyer
12-12-2017, 02:52 PM
A great looking instrument Dave. What I want to know is how you have the room to store your extensive collection, lol.

Patrick Madsen
12-12-2017, 03:20 PM
You did it again Dave. I tell myself;"Okay, this is the last instrument." Then, you post another acquisition and has me looking at "perhaps one more". Great find Dave. Great collection going; perhaps you'll catch up to Stan one day.

It went to the right person.

luv2uke
12-12-2017, 04:48 PM
Merry Christmas Dave. You got yourself a really nice looking Christmas present.

SoloRule
12-12-2017, 04:49 PM
Merry Christmas Dave. You got yourself a really nice looking Christmas present.

One of the many Christmas presents.... he is not done ! Two more weeks to go.

sam13
12-12-2017, 06:54 PM
This is a sweet instrument.

Dave let me play it and I would say that it holds its own with any of his custom Ukes.

Congrats on another fabulous purchase.

DownUpDave
12-13-2017, 01:11 AM
@Osprey Thanks Cliff, I usually don't like the looks of a dark top with a light back and sides but this one spoke to me.

@Rappsy, When you give a compliment about a find it means a lot because you are the King of Great Finds. Thanks Lenny

@Hollisdwyer, My collection isn't that extensive, under 20:p. But I do have to split them into different rooms in the house. How are you enjoying that beautiful Beau Hannam??

DownUpDave
12-13-2017, 01:22 AM
@Patrick Madsen, Thanks for the complimenets Patrick I appreciate it. I also always think I am done then something interesting pops up. Most of my purchases have been of used ukes. I sold the Pono UL4-20 so a spot became available, hahaha!!

@luv2uke, A Christmas present from me to me, what a great way of looking at it, thanks. A very Merry Christmas to you as well. By the way I luv your user name.....see what I did there;)

@sam13, Hey buddy I am so glad you were impressed with it. Simon has a GREAT ear and if he gives it his stamp of approval then I know I have a good one. He can detect a bum note from a mile away. He is not affraid to tell the truth and I appreciate that.

wildfire070
12-13-2017, 07:27 AM
Congrats! The wood is gorgeous! I'm a fan of koa/maple. Very nice combo.

SoloRule
12-13-2017, 12:40 PM
Dave
You do not have a cherry and a mango!
I am going to beat you to it. ;)

DownUpDave
12-13-2017, 01:01 PM
Congrats! The wood is gorgeous! I'm a fan of koa/maple. Very nice combo.

Thank you.......this is my first exposure to koa and maple and I am really impressed with the sound. I am sure the builder has a lot to do with it as it usually does

DownUpDave
12-13-2017, 01:02 PM
Dave
You do not have a cherry and a mango!
I am going to beat you to it. ;)

That's ok Brenda I will play yours when you get it.

good_uke_boy
12-13-2017, 01:09 PM
After playing this exclusively for about 5 days I pulled the big boys for a head to head. Against my 3 best, LfdM, I'iwi and Ko'olau the Kimo holds its own. No sonic weaknesses and a very pleasing tone, a keeper for sure.

How does your Farallon rank among these instruments?

DownUpDave
12-13-2017, 01:38 PM
How does your Farallon rank among these instruments?

To be honest the Farallon is a step down in personal preference. My buddy Tim would tell you different and would buy my Farallon in a heart beat. But it is going up against very stiff competition, ukes costing much more. My personal preferences are #1 LfdM and I'iwi, #2 Ko'olau, #3 Kimo, #4 Webber and Farallon. These can change order depending on the mood I am in, sometimes I want bright other times warm.

Are you still performing on stage with yours? I know "Mezcalaro" loves his so much he has two and uses them almost exclusively on stage

good_uke_boy
12-13-2017, 02:04 PM
Are you still performing on stage with yours? I know "Mezcalaro" loves his so much he has two and uses them almost exclusively on stage

Yes! Played holiday songs with one of my uke groups last weekend outside at a local town center over two days for about 4 hours. It was nice to have an instrument that plays great but presents no worries with respect to being exposed to extreme cold and snow.

zztush
12-14-2017, 09:37 PM
Hi, Dave, Congrats! And hi, Brenda!

You keep giving me the opportunity to try high end instruments!
It’s dengous living so close to you. I always end up buying after I left your party !
You are a bad bad influence!
[/ATTACH]

I know living so close to Dave is dangerous.

https://s33.postimg.org/4pl1l6g7j/image.png (https://postimages.org/)

DownUpDave
12-15-2017, 12:48 AM
Hi, Dave, Congrats! And hi, Brenda!

I know living so close to Dave is dangerous.

https://s33.postimg.org/4pl1l6g7j/image.png (https://postimages.org/)

Thanks ZZ, I just like to help spread the joy. We are lucky for the good friends we have made in our area because of ukulele. Here on this site as well. Brenda said it best "We are so lucky to be so excited about something at this stage in life".

SoloRule
12-15-2017, 01:59 AM
Ha ha ha ha
I am the lazy bunny riding on Dave - the turtle !
It should be the other way around with the bunny holding a whip because he tells me to move faster whenever he spotted an opportunity to a good uke!
Thanks for the cartoon!
We are all very excited whenever Dave buys a uke because that usually leads to a happy gathering!

deznuchs
12-19-2017, 10:29 PM
To be honest the Farallon is a step down in personal preference... My personal preferences are #1 LfdM and I'iwi, #2 Ko'olau, #3 Kimo, #4 Webber and Farallon. These can change order depending on the mood I am in, sometimes I want bright other times warm.

I have been checking out his website for months but have been wanting to hear what his ukes sound like. The ones on youtube haven't had the best recording quality. Hopefully I could get down to Hale one of these days to check'em out in person. Congrats on an awesome uke!

DownUpDave
12-20-2017, 02:35 AM
I have been checking out his website for months but have been wanting to hear what his ukes sound like. The ones on youtube haven't had the best recording quality. Hopefully I could get down to Hale one of these days to check'em out in person. Congrats on an awesome uke!

Thanks for the kind words. No promises but I will try and put up a sound sample. But when my friend Adam, who is a very accomplished ukulele and guitar player says it sounds great and Simon, Brenda and Tim all agree, that is golden. They all played it at my house. We have a New Uke Party when one of us gets something new so we can all play it. I hope you do get a chance to visit Hales one day, looks like a very cool ukulele store.

SoloRule
12-20-2017, 03:45 AM

You need to take a break from the cold SF weather. ;)

Just a suggestion, you may want to sign up for Hale news email. They often host ukulele workshop on a Saturday. They close really early on Saturday too (like 4pm) . They are closed on Sunday and Monday. There were about 6x Kimo ukes in different sizes and wood combos on displays. I posted the photo in the earlier comment on this thread.

zztush
12-20-2017, 01:35 PM
Hi, Dave! Congrats on great tenor!

Friction tuner is my icon of ukulele. It is just like Fender Head stock of Electric guitar to me.

https://s13.postimg.org/5fgno4b93/image.png (https://postimages.org/)

Goto UPT is very nice planetary tuner. I have them only on my soprano. But it looks better on tenor or even Baritone. Because it shows "We are ukulele".