Koa Pili Koko on the way!

ukebrudder

UU+
Reaction score
That's right, just ordered one last night and it's being shipped from Honolulu. I'm expecting it to be here in a week.

Well anyways, I've heard a few stories of these ukes cracking but is that from the wood getting weak and hitting the uke on something to hard or dropping it by mistake or does it dry out and crack?

Should I be worried about this at all? Thanks guys!

This has to do with lack of humidity in the air so the wood dries out too much and cracks. How is the humidity in your area? Here in Hawaii with the ocean always near with moist air cracking of solid wood 'ukulele are rare. If you haven't already, you may want to get a humidifier for your 'ukulele.

PS. I LOVE my soprano Koa Pili Koko, best sounding 'ukulele for the money. Congratulations, I'm sure you'll love your's as much. :shaka:

This has to do with lack of humidity in the air so the wood dries out too much and cracks. How is the humidity in your area? Here in Hawaii with the ocean always near with moist air cracking of solid wood 'ukulele are rare. If you haven't already, you may want to get a humidifier for your 'ukulele.

I'm from Buffalo, New York and it's always very humid here in the summer. Do you think keeping it in the basement in wise because it's damp?

Excess humidity is not likely to damage an instrument compared to excess dryness. It may swell up and sound funny and the action may change, but permanent damage is not likely.

Brad

In many places with harsh winters the air is drier in the winter and this is the time of year when cracking can occur. Get a humidifier and you should be okay.

As far as cracking goes...

I had a KPK that just cracked. I didn't drop it, I had a humidifier (and was a bit obsessive about keeping the humidity in my case in the proper range.)

And that seems to be the problem with *some* KPK's- they just crack.

But, horror stories stick out. People talk when they have something bad to say more often than when there is something good. So, seems like KPK's have gotten labled as instruments that crack. But really, I only know of one (maybe two, but can't remember for sure) other people who have had KPK's that have cracked.

Many more KPK's have been sold that that, and all in all they seem to stand up well.

So congrats! Don't worry about the cracking (but don't go around dropping it or playing in the snow or pool, either... Buy a humidifier, and a hygrometer and go from there.)

And worse case scenario: if it does crack (like mine did, as in you didn't let it dry out or drop it), they come with a 1 year warrenty and you send it back for a replacement.

Yeah what Valerie said.

I have a KPK soprano, about 10 months of so. No crack as of now. I keep it in a case when it is not in use and have a herco humidifier in there and it seems to do the trick.

Also congrats on the purchase I am sure you will love your KPK.

As far as cracking goes...

I had a KPK that just cracked. I didn't drop it, I had a humidifier (and was a bit obsessive about keeping the humidity in my case in the proper range.)

And that seems to be the problem with *some* KPK's- they just crack.

But, horror stories stick out. People talk when they have something bad to say more often than when there is something good. So, seems like KPK's have gotten labled as instruments that crack. But really, I only know of one (maybe two, but can't remember for sure) other people who have had KPK's that have cracked.

Many more KPK's have been sold that that, and all in all they seem to stand up well.

So congrats! Don't worry about the cracking (but don't go around dropping it or playing in the snow or pool, either... Buy a humidifier, and a hygrometer and go from there.)

And worse case scenario: if it does crack (like mine did, as in you didn't let it dry out or drop it), they come with a 1 year warrenty and you send it back for a replacement.

I'm definitely getting a humidifier soon, but I've never heard of a hygrometer.... I googled it and found out what it is, but where do you normally want the relative humidity to be around?

Thanks for all the wonderful posts with all this information. I feel 110% more relaxed knowing how to properly care for it now.

great that you researched about it and now know how to care about the uke. Its better knowing whats best for your uke than nothing.
Hope some videos come up soon when you get the uke :shaka:

For wood instruments the "safe" range is said to be about 45-65 percent (with some leeway to about 40-70%)

But, after googling it a bit myself (though a few months back, so someone correct if I'm mistaken) it is also important to not only stay within that range, but not fluctuate within it- meaning 45% is fine as long as it's not 45% one day and 70% the next.

Add on to that, that most hygrometers are going to be off by anywhere from 1 to 10%, and your best bet is to try and keep your uke in the same 10 degree range (based on the reading from your meter)- for me that's between 55 and 65%. Maybe, if you live somewhere a bit drier, it will be less.

Here's the hygrometer I use (and it's great cause you can callibrate it, and I do, every other week, at the same time that I refil my humidifier.)
Link to Amazon.com listing

i have a KPK concert for about 4 months now and really dig it. if you are half as happy with yours as i am with mine, you'll consider it money well spent.

Here's the hygrometer I use (and it's great cause you can callibrate it, and I do, every other week, at the same time that I refil my humidifier.)
Link to Amazon.com listing

I'm sure that one works really well but how do you think one of these would perform?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HUAEI6

I know it's probably old fashion but if I'm able to save 10-15 bucks, I could use it towards a clip on tuner rather than having to youtube "uke tuning" a few times a day, haha. But if you really think it's necessary, let me know. Thanks!

great that you researched about it and now know how to care about the uke. Its better knowing whats best for your uke than nothing.
Hope some videos come up soon when you get the uke :shaka:

I'll post a Tears in Heaven video up when I get it, Carl Ray style!

I'd say thumbs down on that one- if you scroll down and read the customer reviews, not one is positive.

Plus, hygrometers have to be calibrated fairly often (not a hard task, mine came with instructions of how to calibrate, and it takes only seconds of effort on my part).

Not that I'm an expert... but if you want to go cheaper, I'd say either go to your local cigar/tobacco shop (they'll sell them there, and that way you don't have to pay shipping...) or browse the web and make sure to read reviews. If you go digital or analog (like the link you had) just make sure the thing can be callibrated.

Top Bottom