Tweed case waterproofing?

EDW

Reaction score
Has anyone used any type of product to waterproof one of the tweed or cloth covered uke cases?

Depends on the fabric. Is it real cloth tweed, or the fake tweed looking tolex stuff, like on many newer guitar amps? With real tweed, I've done relicing with a 50/50 mix of Bulleye Amber shellac, then clear coated with Minwax Wipe On Poly, for a nice old weathered tweed look. It seals the tweed well against dirt & water. Actually, I also did that on a tweed Peavey guitar amp, with the faux tweed tolex covering. If no aging/darkening is needed, you could just seal it with the Wipe On Poly, or the rattlecan spray version, which comes in gloss or satin. I prefer satin, and get better control with the wipe on version, using a rag or small brush. If you use that, just be sure to let it dry well before putting uke in the case, so the poly smell doesn't get into your uke.

It is a Gator Journeyman. It is described in their literature as a pebble weave burlap. I would likely try to use something that I could wipe or brush on rather than deal with the spray getting all over.

It is not essential as I don't take it out all that often. I could just let it get weathered.

I was in music store and looked at these Gator cases. They look cool. I like idea of treating the burlap even it it darkens to protect it. Post if you find a way to do this. Otherwise, I see the burlap on these cases getting dirty over time

Yes, that's fabric, like tweed fabric is. Here's what my tweed amp looked like after the amber shellac and poly clear coat. Makes it look old, and protects, with the poly providing a hard clear coat. It was originally much lighter yellowish tweed color.

016.jpg

Vintage bicycle cotton cloth handle bar tape is often brushed with several coats of shellac to protect it. But it's not bent much. I' wondering if you did this to the case and then pressure was put on the top whether the shellac would crack.

Just wondering. What's the purpose?

To protect the case in the event of rain or snow. I would think that making the surface able to repel water would be a good thing.

If it were me, I think I would try the spray-on waterproofing used for suede shoes. It does a fairly good job.

I haven't used it on tweed, but nikwax makes spray on waterproofing. More.. water repelling which is what it sounds like you want. If you drop it in a lake.. it's not going to help you, but it beads water off pretty good, and keeps it from getting into the fabric. I've used it on tents alot, and it works well.

Top Bottom