Video of my endgraft installation

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
It's not often that I work on the weekend, but wanted to get this done today so I can progress full steam ahead with the binding tomorrow. I took the opportunity to have my wife shoot a bit of video while I demo this.

Nice video Allen. Funny but I find myself looking around your shop and outside as much as I watch the operation. So that is what Queensland looks like in December. Nice organization of tools too.... This is definitely the way to go when cutting in an endgraft. I still do it by hand with a dovetail saw and it never fails to be an adventure and always raises my blood pressure. Maybe I need to get with the program... Also, making the wood fillet(?) that goes into the slot is half the battle and you didn't show that or the jigs that make that part.

The endgraft has a curve to the sides and needs to be made very accurately to work with the template. It's one of those subtle little details that make the end result more satisfing to look at in my opinion. Also a really tedious job if it's to be scribed and cut out by hand, sespecially if you are adding the purfling lines.

Both the templat for the jig and the inlay were designed in my CAD software and are cut using a laser that is in my office.

Endgraft1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Allen, how do you hold down the endgraft when you are are cutting it on the cnc?? I was thinking about double sided tape but worry about breaking the graft while trying to pull it off of the tape.

Allen, how do you hold down the endgraft when you are are cutting it on the cnc?? I was thinking about double sided tape but worry about breaking the graft while trying to pull it off of the tape.

I cut the end graft on my laser. It's just light that hits it, so no need for holding it down.

For small things on the CNC I do use a lower tack double sided tape. There is also the masking tape and CA method. Masking tape on your spoil board and part to be machined. CA in between.

The only end graft I do is a 1mm thin black line , but only if I'm not satisfied with the butt joint, approx: 1 in 20 get this rectification ..Martin ukes used to do the same. ;)...But! I really like the way that these posh end grafts are done..as Chuck Moore says " its like wearing a suit with a tie" or something like that :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom