PDA

View Full Version : What was the most favorite ukulele you ever owned?

Rakelele
12-17-2017, 07:50 AM
With the year coming to an end, I thought it was a good time to look back, and I came up wondering: out of all the ukes you've owned and played over the years, which one was your absolute favorite, and why? Do you still have it, or regret having it sold somewhere along the line? If you have to Name just one, which one would it be?

Mine is my modified "Ziggy" baritone from Jay Lichty. It has such a deep, rich tone, it blows any other instrument out of the water, including all the big guitars I have come across. It's also the most easy one to play. It has low action, a slightly wider fretboard, and a 9" radius that makes it really comfortable.

DownUpDave
12-17-2017, 08:10 AM
Rainer, what a great idea for a thread. You "Ziggy" sounds (pun intended) like something really special.

My all time favorite is my LfdM baritone, bearclaw spruce and bocote. I was lucky to work with Luis in designing the headstock and picking out the woods and details. It plays effortlessly and has a tone I never get tried of and I love to jjst look at it. I don't play it as much as my tenors but when I do I am always in awe of the sound it produces.

Croaky Keith
12-17-2017, 08:21 AM
All time favourite of my two years of uke playing would have to be my Kala KA-SLNG - I spent most of my time learning on that uke. :)

Got lots of better ukes now, but still have an affection towards the little fella, it was my fourth purchase, others of that period have been given away, but this one will stay with me. :cool:

janeray1940
12-17-2017, 09:27 AM
Going on 7 years with my Kamaka HP-1 soprano pineapple. Nothing fancy, but I'm never letting that one go.

Patrick Madsen
12-17-2017, 09:44 AM
My Webber baritone seems to be the one at present.

Lapyang
12-17-2017, 10:13 AM
The most favorite is definitely the Hoffmann ML Concert. The LoPrinzi Nova Concert and the KoAloha long neck Soprano are close second/ third.

Sven-Uke
12-17-2017, 11:38 AM
Mine used to be my very versatile aNuenue Papa CE.
Then I fell in love with my o so sweet Ohana Sk-28 Nunes style Soprano.
But after finding a Ken Timms 17 fret Style 0 this summer I simply cannot imagine ever finding a better sounding ukulele.

maki66
12-17-2017, 12:16 PM
Magic Fluke m11 concert is still my favorite so far.
We did get a very sweet sounding Favilla soprano not long ago, but I can't get it way from the Mrs.

Ukulele Eddie
12-17-2017, 12:24 PM
Asking to pick one is akin to, “Which of your children do you love the most?” I cannot pick just one. Sorry to be a party pooper!

Nickie
12-17-2017, 12:45 PM
I have to have three picks. Is that cheating?
My Kala concert with a long neck is the easiest one to play, cause I set it up Lo G, filed down the neck, and put a homemade armrest on it.
My Cocobolo concert is the most fun to play and show off. Everybody wants it. I even slept with it when it was new, so they wouldn't sneak in and take it.
My wife's Tiny Tenor has the nicest tone, and I love to noodle around on it, and show it off because of it's unique shape. Kinda like a boat paddle I guess.
Sorry I can't pick a #1 fave for everything.....

SoloRule
12-17-2017, 02:12 PM
My LFdM name Mercedes. That’s my number one!
https://youtu.be/rzQYDTlDkvk

sopher
12-17-2017, 02:45 PM
Pono Bari - Spruce over Rosewood - "Baby"

Debussychopin
12-17-2017, 03:17 PM
My ohana sopranissimo is my favorite uke.

wildfire070
12-17-2017, 03:22 PM
Ooh...tough to choose just one. I don't think I can do it. The best sounding has got to be the Kinnard. Lightest and best feeling is Mya-Moe. Best looking is Pohaku. Best playability is Asturias.

kohanmike
12-17-2017, 06:05 PM
Favorite for playing is the Kala tenor cutaway solid cedar top acacia koa body paduck binding, favorite looking is my custom Bruce Wei solid spalted mango top and headplate, solid curly mango body, spalted mango binding.

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Kala cedar mine.jpg
http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Spalted done montage.jpg

Ukulelerick9255
12-17-2017, 08:06 PM
Selmer Macaferri Tenor by Beau Hannam. I love the sound of this Tenor scale uke with a Baritone body. The warm rich sound of the Ziricote and figured redwood is amazing and matched by the gorgeous build by Beau and parrot inlay by Jimmi Wingert. Follow my threads to find some pics.

spookelele
12-18-2017, 06:02 AM
rebel alchemist. No way I'd sell it.

actadh
12-18-2017, 07:29 AM
KoAloha Opio soprano in sapele. Living Waters strings make it great to both strum and pick. I love the shape of the neck and placement of the tuners gives me a bit more room to fret near the nut.

Pueo
12-18-2017, 07:43 AM
Up until last month it was my Pono Koa tenor, but now it is no contest, my all-time favorite ukulele I own is my Compass Rose 5-string tenor.
Redwood top, cocobolo back and sides.
It feels like it was made just for me.

http://youtu.be/WhprqjzFoxg

TopDog
12-18-2017, 07:54 AM
My homemade 'lunchbox' resophonic uke is my
favourite. I got the cone and cover from a friend
who had changed them over in his reso, and had
the 'lunchbox' anyway.It was never actually made
as a lunch box, but it was about the same size, and
it fitted the concert scale of a neck I had knocking
about!
As loud as loud if I choose,or as gentle as a lamb if
that suits the mood or feel of the piece I am playing!

mikelz777
12-18-2017, 08:12 AM
I'm like the earlier poster who said that picking your favorite uke is a lot like trying to pick your favorite child. My Kala spalted flame maple spruce top has the prettiest wood and is my brightest sounding uke. My Ohana sinker wood has the best story and is a handsome looking uke. My starter Lanikai has apparently chiseled a spot in my heart because I've entertained the idea of selling it a few times but I can't seem to part with it. I can't really explain why but it kind of has the best feel of the three. I still love playing it.

DownUpDave
12-18-2017, 09:24 AM
I disagree about the child analogy, maybe if you only have two children. But I dont know anyone that has 7 children or 7 ukes and doesn't like one a wee bit better than the others. I actually don't know anyone with 7 children.......but lots of people here have 7 ukes or more.

So pick one, you won't hurt the other ukes feelings......they can't hear you:p

mikelz777
12-18-2017, 09:46 AM
I have more ukes (3 and done) than I do kids (2 and done) so the analogy still works for me. I love all 3 ukes but aside from the commonality between them, I love each of them for different reasons.

bratsche
12-18-2017, 09:49 AM
I only have (and have ever had) two ukes, but I have no preference. It all depends on if I'm wanting a more guitar-like or plucked-viola sound at the moment. Both the baritone and tenor are fine instruments.

And I've known families with 6 and 7 children, but have no idea about their family dynamics, so cannot comment there... I've got 7 cats at the moment, but no kids.

bratsche

Joe King
12-18-2017, 05:17 PM
I currently play a concert Flea and have no desire to waste time with UAS nor look for anything else.

I only need a single ukulele.

The Flea is absolutely perfect "for me".

If something were to happen to it (lost/stolen/damaged), I would replace it with an identical model from Magic Fluke Company.

Jim Yates
12-18-2017, 05:36 PM
105427 105428 105429

Mine would have to be the Joe Zier tenor uke that I traded from my friend George. I still own it.

Xtradust
12-19-2017, 05:54 AM
Right on Joe King! Lol. A person that knows what they like!

For me, I kind of see this as "If you had to give them all away and keep only one, which would it be?"

It’s my Kamaka gold label pineapple.

Perfect sound, playability and beauty from a family dedicated to ukulele for over 100 years.

jer
12-19-2017, 08:50 AM
I'm not 100% sure it was my absolute favorite, but this is the one I regret selling the most:

Koaloha Soprano.
This was back when you could buy one from Elderly Instruments for about $299, and it included a chipboard case with orange lining. It had the really thin saddle that I think was made of ebony, and I believe it had an ebony nut too.
It was a beautiful little work of art. I could hardly believe how light and responsive it was. It had such a great sound. Worth strings came out and I put some clear ones on it and loved it even more. I remember exchanging e-mails back and forth with Paul and thought it was really cool that one of the main guys in the company was so accessible. I wasn't used to that.
I had no idea back then that ukulele was going to get so popular and I wasn't thinking about how much Koaloha would grow and increase their prices (understandable). I think I was switching back to only guitar and that's why I let it go. Bad move on my part.
The current cost is more than I feel I could pay for another personally....but I am not saying they are overpriced.

Croaky Keith
12-19-2017, 10:04 AM
I recently purchased a KoAloha OPIO long neck concert acacia, (yes, they are expensive, but mine was a little cheaper than normal), It's a lovely uke, & I think it will become a favourite, but I'm still loving my Ohana CK35L & SK30L too. :cool:

D28
12-19-2017, 03:57 PM
As of right now I would say my 1k, not that I have a lot to choose from. It's-uh, very lively. Chosen because of sound, action, feel, playability, stays in tune forever, craftsmanship, weight and the smell:D
It's the one I think about when I'm at work. I must say nitro finish is a must for me.
http://i64.tinypic.com/2ms2d7a.jpg

rappsy
12-19-2017, 06:36 PM
So far, it is my Kanile'a Custom Super Tenor, with the Kanile's KPE Tenor running second.

The Tiny Tenor deserves an honorable mention as well.

good_uke_boy
12-20-2017, 02:41 PM
My absolute favorite is my Moore Bettah koa tenor, built in 2015 with the slightly larger body.
Its construction, playability, and tone are unmatched. And inspiring.

Edit: This is my post #500. Yippee!

FinnP
12-21-2017, 09:15 AM
My Kanilea K-1 C-SF from 2011 outcompetes all my other ukes, including my Kanilea tenor and my Imua concert.
I'll never part with that one.