Rambling thoughts on choices

olphart

Reaction score
I have this car thing; my ideal auto would go like stink, be dead silent inside at 100mph, be very dependable, and also be very fuel efficient. Oh yes it should be stunning to look at. It should also be affordable.
I was looking for a snazzy sport coupe, when this all black 4 door sedan rolled on to the lot with heavily tinted windows, looking like a mob staff car.
I was hooked, been driving it for the past 4 years and while it only meets three of my requirements, I like it just fine.

What the hell has this to do with ukuleles?
I think the same holds true. We will hunt for the uke that meets our requirements with one main characteristic in mind, but when a certain one shows up that grabs you, even if it isn't what you were looking for, everything else goes out the window and it's yours.
You only hope the honeymoon lasts. I guess that's where UAS kicks in and why I have 4 ukes though I've only been playing for less than a year.

Two thoughts. First, I agree. Second, tee-hee, he has 4 ukes and thinks he has UAS. :p :biglaugh:

Actually I'm looking for my next.
A Lichty, Barron River, or maybe a Beau Hannam would be nice....if I won a lottery!
Realistically....something with amazing looks, like cocobolo, spalted mango, ziricote or some such, but it has to have great tone..maybe cedar top, be an easy player that feels right when I'm playing it.
There's the rub. I've learned the hard way to play a uke before buying....hard to do where I live, but it's a must if I'm going to buy a higher end, (for me), uke.

Well you would think, when someone can play something locally, that tone would sweep them away over looks, if the tone is amazing.

And there are certainly some addictions running around here! LOL

Let's see Timms & Barron River, unless you're in the UK, or Australia, we're having to order online, but it seems to be pretty unanimous around here, that these are not bad choices to take.

Truth is, there are so many wonderful Ukes from around the world, you'll never be able to play them all locally.

Actually I'm looking for my next.
A Lichty, Barron River, or maybe a Beau Hannam would be nice....if I won a lottery!
Realistically....something with amazing looks, like cocobolo, spalted mango, ziricote or some such, but it has to have great tone..maybe cedar top, be an easy player that feels right when I'm playing it.
There's the rub. I've learned the hard way to play a uke before buying....hard to do where I live, but it's a must if I'm going to buy a higher end, (for me), uke.

I remember your post regarding a beautiful Pono tenor that you owned but did not bond with. Yet you loved playing your Kala which as you admitted was not as "much" a high end instrument. You state you want an easy player that feels right when I'm playing it.

You appear to have found a ukulele that fits you well. This is way more important to some people than others, its important to me. Take note of the neck dimensions, width, depth from top of fretboard to bottom of neck and shape, D, C or U. Coming from a solid headstock to a slotted can change balance, head weight and thickness of neck at transistion. I have learned all of this the hard way, buying trying and selling.

Figure all of this out before making your next purchase. You will have a much better chance at purchasing something you bond with.

Playing before buying is not an option for me or most people, if you are looking for a high end uke. Again, figure out what might work for you, buy USED here on UU. If it does work out you don't lose much reselling a used uke. You take the biggest hit buying new then selling

Last edited:
I have this car thing; my ideal auto would go like stink, be dead silent inside at 100mph, be very dependable, and also be very fuel efficient. Oh yes it should be stunning to look at. It should also be affordable.
I was looking for a snazzy sport coupe, when this all black 4 door sedan rolled on to the lot with heavily tinted windows, looking like a mob staff car.
I was hooked, been driving it for the past 4 years and while it only meets three of my requirements, I like it just fine.

What the hell has this to do with ukuleles?
I think the same holds true. We will hunt for the uke that meets our requirements with one main characteristic in mind, but when a certain one shows up that grabs you, even if it isn't what you were looking for, everything else goes out the window and it's yours.
You only hope the honeymoon lasts. I guess that's where UAS kicks in and why I have 4 ukes though I've only been playing for less than a year.

Four ukes? You do not have UAS.

Hehe I think we need a formula, a test for UAS. I've only been playing the ukulele for around 6 months, but I have purchased three expensive (for me) instruments in the last three months. I don't want to go and assign to myself any inaccurate labels, but I'm thinking UAS might be appropriate at this point.

Or maybe we need a new name for a more specific, but seemingly common condition: new player trying many ukes syndrome. I've definitely got NPTMUS. If I'm not careful might it become full blown UAS?

Yeah, it's a mild case....... until you get to double figures....... then you are getting hooked...... & if you go above twenty...... you've got a problem,........it's no longer UAS. :biglaugh:

Yeah, it's a mild case....... until you get to double figures....... then you are getting hooked...... & if you go above twenty...... you've got a problem,........it's no longer UAS. :biglaugh:

Oh yes it is. :iwant:

Thankfully Four Ukes are exponentially cheaper than Four Cars! Note to derail this, but you could start assigning Car Brands to Uke Brands - such as the Kala is the Honda or ukes - Ohana is the Toyota of ukes... etc.

I have 14 instruments at present, but only two of them are ukes. All the instruments I own must fit in their designated storage space, which is a three-shelved unit within the one room that is off-limits to our cats, besides being used for other storage, as well as having a work table, a loft bed (under which are my instruments), and my practicing space. And the most instruments I can fit on the storage shelves seems to be 14, so I've definitely reached the point where the "one in, one out" rule must apply.

bratsche

Thankfully Four Ukes are exponentially cheaper than Four Cars! Note to derail this, but you could start assigning Car Brands to Uke Brands - such as the Kala is the Honda or ukes - Ohana is the Toyota of ukes... etc.
I would say that ohana is more like.. yeah you're right. Toyota.

It's better than Toyota though I mean I am more satisfied w ohana in all its aspects more than I like Toyota these days which has gone downhill some.

However I can't find a better analogous car make.

... And the most instruments I can fit on the storage shelves seems to be 14, so I've definitely reached the point where the "one in, one out" rule must apply.

bratsche

More shelves needed.......:smileybounce:

(....& probably more hours in the day......) ;)

EDIT: Actually, you are most likely right, 14~16 seems about right. :rofl::cheers:

I got no problem, I got no problem, I got no problem. Ohhh look at that ONE:drool:

Last edited:
Hmmm maybe I only have a mild case of IAS, since I also have two banjos that I made, two guitars fifteen or so harmonicas, and a couple of bamboo flutes lying around somewhere. Oh yes, there's my Strumstick and the Cigar box dulcimer I made, plus the Bodran.
I'd make a Cajon, but where's the challenge in that?

Last edited:
Top Bottom