Looking to start ukulele club in SO. ILL

bornagainjeeper

Reaction score
SO i was looking at starting a ukulele club in southern illinois- carbondale to be exact...and i was wondering what things i need to take into consideration...i plan to put up flyers and maybe just play randomly on the streets to either find uke players or create new ones--which is the best part of course...but any suggestions on activities or gaining support would be good

our school mascot is the Saluki (lame, but its a long haired greyhound used by the egyptions {southen illinois and the surrounding region is called Little egypt because of a famine in chicago that was fed by so ill...as well as the flooding of the mississippi river...hence the cities memphis, cairo, thebes and alexandria...} lets see where was this going, AH YES! so anyway the egyptians used the saluki to hunt rabbits...anyway...The club will be open to the public but i like a club name of

My Saluki Has Fleas- but i fear it might be confusing to newcomers...maybe it would be a better name for an event like My Saluki Has Fleas, a Ukulele Event with the xxxxxx

so other ideas
Southern Illinois Ukulele Ochestra
Southern Illinois Ukulele Society
Ukuleles Anonymous
or So Ill Ukes

anyways comments and suggestions for any aspects of this whole endeavor
Thanks, Alex

Sorry, but I have no experience in the matter. I appreciate the "Little Egypt" factoid, though.

I think Ukulele Society of Southern Illinois is a cool name. If you want to include the mascot, however, perhaps SOILUKI (So. IL Uki)?;)

How about a play on words..like S.IL.L.Y Uke Society.

You just have to figure out what the other L.Y is. :p

if i lived closer to Carbondale... i would totally be down. but alas im just too far north, and broke as hell. i would figure at the 'dale you could drum up enough intrest. try playing some open mics and trying to pump stuff up.

I really like the name Southern Illinois Ukulele Society.

Hopefully, if all works out, I will be moving down to Carbondale a year from now to start a PhD program. So, I hope you can have success in getting this ball rolling. I would love it if there was a uke club in town to jam with.

I always wondered why there were all the Egytpian references in that area. I'd suggest trying to team up with a local music store at first. If they have space available, advertise free ukulele lessons and you will probably get some enthusiasts showing up and the shop might sell some ukes.

I'm kinda partial to So Ill Ukes. Back when I was a youngster ill was slang for good (thanks to the Beastie Boys). Of course only 80's generation would get that right away. If you have a good music dept. @ Carbondale you may look there for interest. BTW I went to your sister school. Go Cougars! ;)

There's a feature on FMM website which lists uke players (who have signed up) by city and state. There's a way top access e-mail addresses for them. Start with those near to you, and send out a group e-mail inviting folks to join the new club. Have them invite friends who might be interested, too. Host a picnic or cook-out to start, and guage interest from there. Let the folks who actually want to join help you pick a name.

Let me know how you make out....I still need to do the same thing here. :eek:

I'm kinda partial to So Ill Ukes. Back when I was a youngster ill was slang for good (thanks to the Beastie Boys). Of course only 80's generation would get that right away. If you have a good music dept. @ Carbondale you may look there for interest. BTW I went to your sister school. Go Cougars! ;)

actually the the SO ILL reference is alive and well down here, there is a rock climbing holds company called So Ill Holds that being the pun....and after all...So. Ill. is...so ill

Represent SIU! who woulda thought

I always wondered why there were all the Egytpian references in that area. I'd suggest trying to team up with a local music store at first. If they have space available, advertise free ukulele lessons and you will probably get some enthusiasts showing up and the shop might sell some ukes.

not positive but i think the term BFE came from this region (unless its a Moses reference)...that'd be "Out in BFE" being lost.... The B is from bum or butt...and the E is for Egypt...soo you can fill in the F...

From the wikipedia, Little Egypt is a term for the extreme southern region of the American state of Illinois. Long known as "Egypt," the region has sometimes been called "Little Egypt," although the fact that Little Egypt was a popular early 20th century belly dancer made the term unpopular with many Southern Illinoisans. Most residents of Southern Illinois prefer the historic term "Egypt" for their region. The southern part of Illinois is geographically, culturally, and economically different from the rest of the state. Settled by migrants from the Upper South, historically it was more affiliated with the southern agricultural economy and rural culture that existed on both sides of the Ohio River.

my high school was proudly apart of the NEC (North Egyptian Conference) for all of our sports... but then it folded. Wabash County Rep.

Top Bottom