What ukulele should I get?

maemae

Reaction score
I currently have a Soprano Makala Waterman. I learn from YouTube, but my love for ukuleles is very strong. I've saved up to buy a new ukulele this Christmas, but I'm having trouble with what to buy. I'm looking more towards a Kala Concert... Please help! :(

Kala or Ohana are good makes, concert scale is what I normally recommend for newbies. :)

From what I have read, you will notice a big improvement over the Waterman, more details about what you think you would like, & price range, will get you better answers.

What's your price range?

Also saying you don't know what to buy, do you want warmer, or brighter tone from a Uke, various woods give different tones...

There's a lot of various Kala to choose from, do you have one in mind?

My price range is from $100-$150. I like ukes with a nice loud sound.

I currently don't have one in mind. I don't have knowledge on the different types if woods. I'm going to the store tomorrow to hopefully come home with a new uke. I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts.

I did a NUD on this same one as recommended above just recently
It’s a very well built uke
It feels very solid and easy to play
It’s just too bright for my liking but overall it’s a beautifully crafted instrument at an amazing low price.
I bought it from our local store. Straight out of the box. No set up needed.

My second uke was an Islander - pretty good uke for the $100-150 range, and I really liked the wide fingerboard. If you can find a Flea in the $150 price range (probably need to be used), that would be another great option. My third uke was a Flea that I bought from Magic Fluke as a second - you have to call them directly to see what they have and what kind of deals are available - you might be able to get within shouting distance of the top end of your price range. http://www.magicfluke.com/Contact-s/1844.htm

I've given the solid spruce top/laminate hog Kalas mentioned above as a gift, lotsa bang for the buck.

If you want an even better deal, please PM me if you are interested in a like new solid wood LOUD Kala soprano long neck (soprano body/concert neck) in that range.
It's the quite light "African mahogany" model, KA-SML-SLNG. Modest, simple build with surprising volume. Not many around.
Solid wood all through, so this is one you must humidify in dry climates.
I bought it to try out a long neck (love it), and now I'm ready to throw money at one with more bling...

Here's the link of the exact one I bought (purchased deeply discounted through Riff - Mim sold them for $179 on Ebay.)
https://reverb.com/item/955242-kala-ka-sml-slng-mahogany-lite-soprano-long-neck

The stock pics are lousy on the link though, PM your cell phone and I can send better pics. Oh, and the headstock is NOT slotted on the soprano, just regular...

Last edited:
To the OP, I deleted your 12-20-2017 post because you there is an active thread asking the same question. Multiple posts asking the same question will not result having more answers.

The Ohana CK-22 Spruce top Mahogany is ~$165. Nice and loud, easy playing and can be had in Spruce/Zebra wood as CK-22Z. I'd sell you mine for $140 with a gig bag and strap pins + shipping.

I've got too may ukes and it's almost new, except for some dust.

Last edited:
Top Bottom