Case for Duke 10 Banjo Ukulele

besley

Reaction score
My recently acquired Duke 10 Banjo Uke will shortly be on its way to a new UU owner, since I didn't need two banjo ukes. But before I pack it up I wanted to share a tip with anyone looking for a good case for their Duke 10. It does come with a gig bag, but it would provide no protection for the head, and it wouldn't really be safe to transport that way without popping out the bridge. I've looked, but I haven't found any hard cases that accept a 10" hoop.

On a whim I tried putting the Duke 10 in the Reunion Blues RBX Tenor Gig Bag that my Farallon came in.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFBAXEA/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1XSVEONE5YVTR&colid=1OLYXO7VMBU55&psc=0

61ziOemgSiL._SL1200_.jpg

It's a pretty good fit, especially since the sides are held quite snugly, so that the hoop can't slide around, and there is a good inch or two between the top of the bridge and the case lid. Not perfect, but much better than the stock gig bag.

Attachments

• Duke Case.jpg
    Duke Case.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Duke 10 in case.jpg
    Duke 10 in case.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 35
My recently acquired Duke 10 Banjo Uke will shortly be on its way to a new UU owner, since I didn't need two banjo ukes. But before I pack it up I wanted to share a tip with anyone looking for a good case for their Duke 10. It does come with a gig bag, but it would provide no protection for the head, and it wouldn't really be safe to transport that way without popping out the bridge. I've looked, but I haven't found any hard cases that accept a 10" hoop.

On a whim I tried putting the Duke 10 in the Reunion Blues RBX Tenor Gig Bag that my Farallon came in.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFBAXEA/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1XSVEONE5YVTR&colid=1OLYXO7VMBU55&psc=0

61ziOemgSiL._SL1200_.jpg

It's a pretty good fit, especially since the sides are held quite snugly, so that the hoop can't slide around, and there is a good inch or two between the top of the bridge and the case lid. Not perfect, but much better than the stock gig bag.

Is this still a soft case? I'd really prefer one as hard as I can get. I drive moped, so it will be strapped into a milk crate on the back. Better safe...

Anyone else some up with anything? Looks like a couple of people found this one, but I didn't see a hard one listed. Yes, I will try Gold Tone or Deering

Nope, this is a soft case. If you want a hard case I think there was another discussion about mandolin cases being a workable option.

Nope, this is a soft case. If you want a hard case I think there was another discussion about mandolin cases being a workable option.

Thanks. I'll do another search. Mandolin neck seems like it would be closer to concert size. Maybe I'll take it into a shop and check too

I like hard cases for everything, and when I had my Duke 10, I was looking at mandolin cases. Unless you actually try the fit, you don't know until you receive it. Then you could have the expense of returning it. My other thought was to make a wooden case.

I like hard cases for everything, and when I had my Duke 10, I was looking at mandolin cases. Unless you actually try the fit, you don't know until you receive it. Then you could have the expense of returning it. My other thought was to make a wooden case.

I'll definitely have to take it to fit. Researched mandolin cases and found most to be 27". The Duke is 29". Just got one and noticed the strings really need stretch time. I've tightened them a couple of time and they go out of tune fast. Oh well. I guess new strings need a couple of weeks to break in from what I've been reading.

I'll definitely have to take it to fit. Researched mandolin cases and found most to be 27". The Duke is 29". Just got one and noticed the strings really need stretch time. I've tightened them a couple of time and they go out of tune fast. Oh well. I guess new strings need a couple of weeks to break in from what I've been reading.

Yes, if does take a while for the strings to stretch. Be patient and keep tightening them.

My Duke 8 fits perfectly in a concert size Freemont hard case. Maybe a tenor case for the 10?

Top Bottom