James Hill & Anne Janelle - It Came Upon the Midnight Clear

Booli

Reaction score
Aloha fellow UU brethren...

I'm subscribed to email notifications from both James Hill and Anne Janelle, and received this holiday message and video via email, and thought it wonderful and wanted to share it here.

Enjoy!

Anne Janelle said:
Hello Dear Ones near and far,

The turkey has been cooked, the presents have been opened, the carols have been sung, the dancing is done. Now, it's my husband, James', favourite day of the year: Boxing Day. It's the one day a year when we give ourselves permission to do absolutely nothing. Not in a slothful way, but our rare chance to relish in stillness. Sit by the fire, no place to go.

And so, in this spirit, I would like to share a new video of our arrangement of It Came Upon the Midnight Clear with you. I hope you will find a corner of space somehow, maybe your baby is asleep, maybe your partner has taken the dog for a walk, maybe you're home alone right now.

Take a moment, and enjoy the stillness of this song.

The lyrics for It Came Upon the Midnight Clear were written by Unitarian pastor Edmund Sears in 1849, immediately following the Mexican-American War. His poetry speaks of a dark world in a dreary time. Some of us may feel like that right now. I want to dedicate this song to all who are in need, whatever that may be: of physical comfort, of a quiet space to sleep, of a little more love, of a warm meal on the table. You are in my thoughts.

Let this song uplift you and let the message that music provides hope ring out!

Top Bottom