PDA

View Full Version : Low-G tuning?

Weshwee
05-06-2009, 06:50 AM
im tryin to learn how to play "Breakdown" by Jack Johnson but the ukulele is tuned to low g and ive tried tuning it to that but my string is too light or im not using the right kind. like its just really loose and doesnt sound good. is it because my strings arent right or because i have crappy soprano uke????

MattHaaaaa
05-06-2009, 07:33 AM
i think what you need is a new g string
you can buy strings set in C or set in low G
go out and buy a low G:shaka:
there not too much.
hope this has helped

Lori
05-06-2009, 07:43 AM
You can order just the low G string by itself, if you like, without buying a full set. Aquila and Worths can be purchased this way, and I found it was a good way to try out both tunings. It might be harder for a soprano to successfully tune to low G, but if you have the right gauge string, it should work.

http://www.ukuleleworld.com/aquila-soprano-ukulele-strings-low-g-4th-string-only-package-of-3.html

I love to be able to try out different tunings!

Have fun.
–Lori

Kanaka916
05-06-2009, 07:46 AM
A low G is tuned an octave lower than a high G string, so the string has to be replaced for re-entrant tuning (GCEA). Or like others will say, one uke for low G tuning and another one for standard tuning.

kissing
05-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Or like others will say, one uke for low G tuning and another one for standard tuning.

oh dear, i never knew that.. *must get another uke.. any excuse would do*