Humidity issues with laminate uke?

hendulele

Check your fleas
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a KoAlana concert, laminate mahogany that has developed a buzz when I strum or pluck the C string. The buzz is more intense when I play on the neck rather than plucking the string closer to the bridge below the sound hole.

We've had an incredibly cold winter and have used the furnace a lot (plus the uke stays on the wall about 6 feet above a heat register). Is it possible the guy has dried out enough that it's buzzing?

I'm putting it in a case with a humidifier to see if that helps. I've repaired a couple of all-solid ukes that developed cracks and now stay in cases during the winter. I didn't realize a laminate might need that much TLC, too. Maybe under extreme conditions like these ... (Besides, I hate not being able to look at my ukes!!)

While the body is laminate, the fretboard is not. I have seen it suggested that you take the ukulele with you to the room where you shower—and as you take a long hot shower, have the ukulele in the same room. See what happens when you play it (after you dry off). If the buzzing disappears, you have your answer.

While the body is laminate, the fretboard is not. I have seen it suggested that you take the ukulele with you to the room where you shower—and as you take a long hot shower, have the ukulele in the same room. See what happens when you play it (after you dry off). If the buzzing disappears, you have your answer.

Thank you. That's certainly worth a try.

Humidity changes can certainly affect laminate instruments. Anything that brings about expansion/contraction can, and laminated wood still loses and absorbs moisture to an extent. They're much less likely to actually suffer lasting damage than solid wood instruments though. They're more resistant to cracks and splits and, as expansion/contraction are less than with solids, glue joints don't get as stressed.

Rehumidifying may well sort it.

Yes, body or top probably won't crack on a dry laminated uke, but you'll get fret sprout on the edges of the fingerboard, and possibly other neck/action issues, like you may be experiencing. I hate fret sprout, and find it not as easy to get rid of by simply humidifying. Filing back the fret edges will often be necessary, which is a PIA.

The bracing inside laminate ukes is also solid wood usually, which is affected.

The bracing inside laminate ukes is also solid wood usually, which is affected.

When the center seam on my solid mahogany separated slightly at the sound hole it was a bracing issue. A luthier glued a tiny new brace there and fixed the problem. And the uke never leaves its case when we run the heat.

My guess is, that's what I'll have to do with the KoAlana. Leaving it with me in the shower reduced, but didn't completely end the buzzing.

Has your uke always done this or did it just start? Have you tried to determine which string is buzzing? You could have a high fret and that could have come about with humidity changes too. checking for and fixing a high fret is an easy thing to do. If you need instructions let me know.

This preceded a string change, so it's been around for awhile. I've seen how to check fret levels, so I won't rule out a high fret as a possibility. Thanks!

Top Bottom