PDA

View Full Version : OCD about Scratches?

thekidwho
05-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Yeah so, I just got my ukulele and it's BEAUTIFUL. However its not glossed and so if i even make a little slip, I'd leave a mark. If I were to install a pickguard, which should I use? and where could i get it? and how could i put it on? lol. oh and also, what could i do in the meantime? thanks so much!

Myala509
05-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Id go to the doctor to check on your OCD! Naw man it's gonna get scratched if you play I don't think there is way out of that. I'm a newb though

russ_buss
05-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Id go to the doctor to check on your OCD! Naw man it's gonna get scratched if you play I don't think there is way out of that. I'm a newb though

i agree with this guy. the less you worry about scratches, the more fun you'll have playing your uke.

hoosierhiver
05-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Have fun, it'll eventually get a little scratchy if you play it alot. You'll want to buy a second uke in six months and you can worry about scratching up that one when you get it.

Guting
05-06-2009, 01:49 PM
what kind of uke?

Ukulele JJ
05-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Scratches add character. Just get used to the fact that your uke will get a scratch. More than one.

Heck, one day your uke will be a pile of kindling. Maybe not today, maybe not for a thousand years, but one day. Nothing lasts forever. We are just temporary caretakers of things in their current form for as long as they are in that form.

So to paraphrase the monk Achaan Cha, play your uke like it is already scratched, and enjoy it all the more for that!

- Jeff

Waterguy
05-06-2009, 02:30 PM
The only uke that doesn't get scratched is the one that doesn't get played. I pity that uke as it will never become what it was made to be. You will scratch your uke. Expect it, accept it.

If the scratching thing really bugs you, step into a Kanile'a with the UV finish. That finish is REALLY hard to mark from playing. I thrash mine and I have yet to make a mark. That did not stop me from putting it down to hard on a table and chipping the finish though. I was heartbroken for almost 2 whole seconds.

Good luck with your new uke:)

haole
05-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Your uke will likely pick up scratches and dings no matter what. But give this stuff a shot so you don't mangle the top from strumming: http://www.kling-on.com/ss-2p-c.htm

I was a little OCD about scratches until I realized that it's pretty hard to play something without the inevitable dings. Now my Kamaka has some dents, scratches, scuffs, and even a few spots where the finish is worn off. Just shows it's been well-loved. :D

Brad Bordessa
05-06-2009, 02:36 PM
What I see in use most on 'ukuleles like Herb Ohta Jr.'s is a clear piece of mylar. I think this is it: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Pickguards/Pickguard_materials/1/Clear_Pickguard_Materials/Details.html#details

And here is how you install it: http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Guitar/Pickguards/ClearGuard/clearguard1.html

I am not a pickguard expert - I don't even have one, so take this with a grain of salt.

What can you do in the meantime? Just play. Try strumming over the fretboard at around the 12th fret (depending on your uke), that way your fingernails won't even come close to the top.

thekidwho
05-06-2009, 03:26 PM
ahaha thanks guys. idk maybe cuhs its my first uke, but i was just totally freaking and wanted it to be super perfect, but you guys are 100% correct. i mean if i give it the love it deserves, it will eventually get scratches. but i will consider getting the pickguard just in case. i played with it for an hour or so and i'm started to get used to it. when i first got it, i was holding it like one would hold a baby (ever so gently), but then i realized that you can't really play like that. and so i hope i'm getting rid of this OCD-ness. aahah. thanks again guys :D

Kanaka916
05-06-2009, 04:24 PM
If you wanna use a pickguard, use the Mylar sheets previously mentioned. There are several members who use them. Yea, dings are inevitable but at least you can prevent scratching even if it does give it character. It's your instrument, you paid for it and you maintain it as you see fit. My dos centavos.

C-roy
05-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Look at it this way. atleast you do not have real ocd, and different mental health problems like me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i get a mark in my ukes, out comes the magic marker :)

which does not help that much haha.

Myala509
05-06-2009, 06:38 PM
I know how to fix your problem. Get a really cheap one that you can really jam on. That way you dont mess up this one.

OR!!!!!! My favorite option. Buy a more expensive even prettier ukulele so you are not concerned about messing the first one up anymore!

titoboy5
05-06-2009, 07:06 PM
nah! i used to be like this . scratch it yourself. dats how i got over it.

Ukuleleblues
05-09-2009, 02:12 AM
I used to bring my junk ukes to the beach, on the boat,camping, etc and leave the "pristine" ones for "Special Ocassions". Then one day a few years ago I realized I spent 90% of my time on the cheapos. Why did I buy the good ones if I wasn't gonna play them? Now some of my good ukes have scratches and dings and wear marks, but I play them all the time now. When I die you will be able to tell the good ones by the amount of play wear. You only live once, who are you saving them for?

lazybees
05-09-2009, 03:50 AM
Once a while ago Rob Eagle of the Guitar Emporium passed on this piece of wisdom. Whe you buy a new instrument, the first thing you should do is put a ding in it. That way you won't have to hate your best friend if they ding it and you won't have to worry any more about dinging it yourself. Good advice.