Building in progress "Kimo super concert"

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
About one month ago I purchased a used Kimo tenor uke made by custom builder Hank Johnson. It has a curly koa top with flamed maple back and sides, radius fretboard, side sound port, UPT tuners, all the stuff I love. I did a NUD post on it saying how pleased I was with not only the looks and workmanship but the sound and playability as well.

My admiration for this uke has only grown over time so I decided to commission a super concert. Hank offers a radius which is very rare on this size of uke but important to me. A side sound port comes standard as well as UPT tuners.

I wanted a redwood top but was undecided about the back, either myrtle or walnut. Hank not only has an excellent stash of wood but has access to a lot of really primo stuff. He showed me many pictures of many different sets. It came down to one myrtle and one walnut. Hank said the walnut tap toned better, rang out more with greater sustain and brightness, sold, I love walnut.

We did the same exercise for the top and chose a great sounding and looking piece of sinker redwood. The first picture shows the walnut back, one half with a light application of lacquer to show what the walnut will really look like when finished

IMG_20171218_112415074.jpgIMG_20171214_092453672.jpgIMG_20171219_140424151.jpgIMG_20171223_152038871.jpgIMG_20180106_134731988.jpg

Last edited:
Lets have some fun with some of the different tops Hank showed me. You can choice the one you like best. I have already made my choice but this is always illuminating.

IMG_5499.JPGIMG_20171227_070535592.jpgIMG_20171227_074900768.jpgIMG_20171227_095228016.jpgIMG_20180109_113046153.jpg

Congrats - it looks like another amazing acquisition! Redwood and walnut sounds like a great mix.
All of the tops look good - hard to pick, but I kind of like the the one on the right of the second picture.
Looking forward to the NUD.

I have a walnut guitar, it has a very cool voice. I think this Uke will too, very nice choice.

Congratulations on this build, the walnut is stunning—love the pops of red! I don’t think you could go wrong with any of the choices of redwood, particularly in the second photo. It depends on what overall look you’re going for, but I’d probably opt for the lighter set on the left so as not to compete with the back and sides. But the set on the right is pretty too. Tough choice!

Congrats Dave. I really liked your Tenorfrom same builder. . The walnut grain is stunning. Can’t wait to hear and see finished product. I’d like hear and read your review on long neck concert. I ‘ve been interested in them for a bit but have never played one. I’m a tenor guy but long neck concert seem cool. Look forward to you comments on the new build and the whole long neck concert thing. Pro and cons and feel.

It's looking great so far Dave. I would pick the set on the left in the second pic. It looks like the sap wood stripe in the center might tie in with the walnut back and sides. Tough to tell color wise though, without any finish on it.

Wow, that's some really pretty wood! Can't wait to see the finished product.

After having tried all the sizes, myself, (except sopranino), my main players are now long neck concerts & small bodied tenors - so I know exactly where you're coming from - looks like it is going to be a really nice uke. :)

Looks like it will be a beautiful instrument. I kinda like "B" in the fourth pic.

Sorry to go AWOL

@Keod, I also like redwood walnut combo, my I'iwi has those woods and it sounds real good.

@D 28, What make of guitar is your walnut. I figured you were a guitar player by your user name. My BIL has a 70's Martin D 28, GREAT SOUND

@Peace Train, Thank you, I like this piece of walnut as well. Some of the myrtle Hank had was really nice as well

Last edited:
@M3Ukulele, Hey Monty I actually own a Kamaka super concert and although I am a tenor guy the SC size is real nice. I will keep the Kamaka reentrant and string the Kimo low G with South Coast HML-WB

@Jeffele, Thank you it will be nice to have something in my future......besides 3 months of shoveling snow

@DKcrown, Dana I couldn't agree more about the difference the color of redwood will have on the over all visual impact.

Last edited:
@Nickie "Cool wood" is accurate. It is so much fun to look at all the different type, then try to choose just one

@Keith, Super Concerts are a fun size. I am mainly a tenor guy but I like the same length fretboard in the super concerts and the smaller body size is comfortable.

@Osprey, Thank you Cliif the woods are going to make this a good looking uke for sure.

@good uke boy, Your choice of top is the same as mine, winner, winner

Last edited:
Love it, Dave. Looking forward to following it's progress and hearing it when you have it.

It's looking great so far Dave. I would pick the set on the left in the second pic. It looks like the sap wood stripe in the center might tie in with the walnut back and sides..
That would have been my choice too. I'm a sucker for contrasting woods. Pshh, what does Dave know? :p

Aloha Dave. Nice choice of woods. It's going to be an awesome looking and sounding ukulele. Looking forward to hearing you play it soon.

@Ukulele Eddie, Thanks Eddie if it has the same quality of tone as my Kimo tenor I will be very happy.

@Jim Hanks, The choice you and Dana made was my second choice. You ask "What does Dave know".........not much, but that's enough:biglaugh:

@luv2uke, Thank you, it is always exciting picking out all the different woods and details. I read that you have an I'iwi, what size and wood combo. My I'iwi tenor is redwood and walnut, one of the best sounding ukes I have ever played, I love it.

Top Bottom