PDA

View Full Version : Building in progress "Kimo super concert"

DownUpDave
01-10-2018, 03:39 PM
About one month ago I purchased a used Kimo tenor uke made by custom builder Hank Johnson. It has a curly koa top with flamed maple back and sides, radius fretboard, side sound port, UPT tuners, all the stuff I love. I did a NUD post on it saying how pleased I was with not only the looks and workmanship but the sound and playability as well.

My admiration for this uke has only grown over time so I decided to commission a super concert. Hank offers a radius which is very rare on this size of uke but important to me. A side sound port comes standard as well as UPT tuners.

I wanted a redwood top but was undecided about the back, either myrtle or walnut. Hank not only has an excellent stash of wood but has access to a lot of really primo stuff. He showed me many pictures of many different sets. It came down to one myrtle and one walnut. Hank said the walnut tap toned better, rang out more with greater sustain and brightness, sold, I love walnut.

We did the same exercise for the top and chose a great sounding and looking piece of sinker redwood. The first picture shows the walnut back, one half with a light application of lacquer to show what the walnut will really look like when finished

DownUpDave
01-10-2018, 03:44 PM
Lets have some fun with some of the different tops Hank showed me. You can choice the one you like best. I have already made my choice but this is always illuminating.

keod
01-10-2018, 05:13 PM
Congrats - it looks like another amazing acquisition! Redwood and walnut sounds like a great mix.
All of the tops look good - hard to pick, but I kind of like the the one on the right of the second picture.
Looking forward to the NUD.

D28
01-10-2018, 06:14 PM
I have a walnut guitar, it has a very cool voice. I think this Uke will too, very nice choice.

Peace Train
01-10-2018, 07:23 PM
Congratulations on this build, the walnut is stunningólove the pops of red! I donít think you could go wrong with any of the choices of redwood, particularly in the second photo. It depends on what overall look youíre going for, but Iíd probably opt for the lighter set on the left so as not to compete with the back and sides. But the set on the right is pretty too. Tough choice!

M3Ukulele
01-10-2018, 07:30 PM
Congrats Dave. I really liked your Tenorfrom same builder. . The walnut grain is stunning. Can’t wait to hear and see finished product. I’d like hear and read your review on long neck concert. I ‘ve been interested in them for a bit but have never played one. I’m a tenor guy but long neck concert seem cool. Look forward to you comments on the new build and the whole long neck concert thing. Pro and cons and feel.

Jeffelele
01-10-2018, 09:08 PM
What a nice thing to have in your future!

dkcrown
01-11-2018, 02:25 AM
It's looking great so far Dave. I would pick the set on the left in the second pic. It looks like the sap wood stripe in the center might tie in with the walnut back and sides. Tough to tell color wise though, without any finish on it.

Nickie
01-11-2018, 06:09 AM
Wow, that's some really pretty wood! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Croaky Keith
01-11-2018, 08:50 AM
After having tried all the sizes, myself, (except sopranino), my main players are now long neck concerts & small bodied tenors - so I know exactly where you're coming from - looks like it is going to be a really nice uke. :)

Osprey
01-11-2018, 09:12 AM
Lets have some fun with some of the different tops Hank showed me. You can choice the one you like best. I have already made my choice but this is always illuminating.

In Picture #2, I like the sample on the left with the grayish stripe. Interested in your choice.

Osprey
01-11-2018, 09:13 AM
Overall, It’s going to be another stunning ukulele. Congrats, Dave.

good_uke_boy
01-11-2018, 10:36 AM
Looks like it will be a beautiful instrument. I kinda like "B" in the fourth pic.

DownUpDave
01-11-2018, 04:01 PM
Sorry to go AWOL

@Keod, I also like redwood walnut combo, my I'iwi has those woods and it sounds real good.

@D 28, What make of guitar is your walnut. I figured you were a guitar player by your user name. My BIL has a 70's Martin D 28, GREAT SOUND

@Peace Train, Thank you, I like this piece of walnut as well. Some of the myrtle Hank had was really nice as well

DownUpDave
01-11-2018, 04:07 PM
@M3Ukulele, Hey Monty I actually own a Kamaka super concert and although I am a tenor guy the SC size is real nice. I will keep the Kamaka reentrant and string the Kimo low G with South Coast HML-WB

@Jeffele, Thank you it will be nice to have something in my future......besides 3 months of shoveling snow

@DKcrown, Dana I couldn't agree more about the difference the color of redwood will have on the over all visual impact.

DownUpDave
01-11-2018, 04:12 PM
@Nickie "Cool wood" is accurate. It is so much fun to look at all the different type, then try to choose just one

@Keith, Super Concerts are a fun size. I am mainly a tenor guy but I like the same length fretboard in the super concerts and the smaller body size is comfortable.

@Osprey, Thank you Cliif the woods are going to make this a good looking uke for sure.

@good uke boy, Your choice of top is the same as mine, winner, winner

Ukulele Eddie
01-11-2018, 05:17 PM
Love it, Dave. Looking forward to following it's progress and hearing it when you have it.

Jim Hanks
01-11-2018, 06:38 PM
It's looking great so far Dave. I would pick the set on the left in the second pic. It looks like the sap wood stripe in the center might tie in with the walnut back and sides..
That would have been my choice too. I'm a sucker for contrasting woods. Pshh, what does Dave know? :p

luv2uke
01-11-2018, 06:42 PM
Aloha Dave. Nice choice of woods. It's going to be an awesome looking and sounding ukulele. Looking forward to hearing you play it soon.

DownUpDave
01-12-2018, 01:22 AM
@Ukulele Eddie, Thanks Eddie if it has the same quality of tone as my Kimo tenor I will be very happy.

@Jim Hanks, The choice you and Dana made was my second choice. You ask "What does Dave know".........not much, but that's enough:biglaugh:

@luv2uke, Thank you, it is always exciting picking out all the different woods and details. I read that you have an I'iwi, what size and wood combo. My I'iwi tenor is redwood and walnut, one of the best sounding ukes I have ever played, I love it.

SoloRule
01-12-2018, 08:21 AM
Counting the day I can get my hands on it . I am sure it would look stunning . You always have good taste in wood grains!

Croaky Keith
01-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Counting the day I can get my hands on it......

Not even built & she's ready to test it out for you, what a great friend you have there.
:smileybounce:

SoloRule
01-12-2018, 10:36 AM
Not even built & she's ready to test it out for you, what a great friend you have there.
:smileybounce:

The best kind...
I bought two ukes recently so downupdave can try! That’s what we do! :o
I buy two.... he buys five! That’s fair!

DownUpDave
01-12-2018, 11:23 AM
The best kind...
I bought two ukes recently so downupdave can try! Thatís what we do! :o
I buy two.... he buys five! Thatís fair!

Your are such a good friend for letting me buy more than you.

I will really have fun baby sitting all your children when you are away. Maybe some of your excellent playing skills will rub off on me :rock:

luv2uke
01-12-2018, 08:26 PM
My I'iwi is a torrified spruce top with figured mahogany back and sides. I was influenced by you and your friends that played it and waxed poetically of it's sound.
My belated thanks to you all. I guess after you make your sound sample of your Kimo, I better not listen to it or you and your friends might influence me to buy another ukulele. Aloha.

DownUpDave
01-13-2018, 12:38 AM
My I'iwi is a torrified spruce top with figured mahogany back and sides. I was influenced by you and your friends that played it and waxed poetically of it's sound.
My belated thanks to you all. I guess after you make your sound sample of your Kimo, I better not listen to it or you and your friends might influence me to buy another ukulele. Aloha.

I remember the I'iwi with the torrified spruce top and figured mahogany back. That is one fabulous looking and sounding uke, congratulations. I had brought my I'iwi to Luis (builder of LfdM ukes) he was really impressed with it. He said "You can tell it was built with a lot of love". It is one of just a few ukes that I will never sell

Chopped Liver
01-13-2018, 05:24 AM
"A" in the fourth pic.

That is going to be gorgeous!

DownUpDave
01-13-2018, 05:52 AM
"A" in the fourth pic.

That is going to be gorgeous!

It was a toss up between "A" or B in that 4th picture. Hank took another picture (see below) and I picked B, the one on top

Chopped Liver
01-13-2018, 05:55 AM
Oooo, yeah! In that pic, the top pic is definitely better!

I love redwood.

DownUpDave
01-13-2018, 06:01 AM
Oooo, yeah! In that pic, the top pic is definitely better!

I love redwood.

Thanks Jan, Hank said that one tap toned a bit nicer and would better suit the walnut tone. I am a big believer in listening to the luthier.

DownUpDave
01-14-2018, 04:33 AM
For those that "voted" for their top preference I have chosen the one of the left in the picture below. Here are a few pictures of the neck in it's initial shaped stage. Also shown is the extra large carbon fiber piece that Hank places inside the neck to stiffen it. He gets them from a friend in the Aerospace industry and he likes the tap tone this adds.

Rakelele
01-14-2018, 04:39 AM
What a great choice of woods! Congratulations, my friend, can't wait to see how this turns out...

DownUpDave
01-15-2018, 01:51 AM
What a great choice of woods! Congratulations, my friend, can't wait to see how this turns out...

Thanks Rainer, I not only like the looks of the woods but redwood smells great.

DownUpDave
01-15-2018, 02:00 AM
I asked Hank to use macassar ebony for the fingerboard and bridge here is the piece he picked out. We decided an abalone rosette would be a good color choice with the redwood top.

Alytw
01-15-2018, 02:25 AM
Very nice. Good choice of top.

Chopped Liver
01-15-2018, 12:59 PM
Thanks Rainer, I not only like the looks of the woods but redwood smells great.

Yeah, I've had Native American flutes made from redwood and they do smell good!

SoloRule
01-16-2018, 04:17 AM
Very lovely timbers that's for sure, I'll be looking forward to a sound sample with great anticipation, that uke should sing like a bird! :D

I hope you donít mean a Kookaburra bird

Dave has good eyes on timber. :drool: I mean taste!

DownUpDave
01-16-2018, 05:38 AM
Very nice. Good choice of top.

Looking forward to getting together when it is done so you can play it

DownUpDave
01-16-2018, 05:42 AM
Very lovely timbers that's for sure, I'll be looking forward to a sound sample with great anticipation, that uke should sing like a bird! :D

Thanks Campbell, I don't know what Brenda is referring to (some kinda wierd Canadian/Australian humor:p) but I am sure it will have a sweet voice

Alytw
01-16-2018, 01:44 PM
Can’t wait. You know I’m a fan of walnut. Love the build thread.

DownUpDave
01-20-2018, 03:37 AM
The top is now glued to the back and sides. The center strip in the back is maple and black, I love how the maple is a creamy color instead of stark white. Bindings and purfling on the top and bottom with a tail graft will be next to do on the body.

keod
01-20-2018, 04:08 AM
The top is now glued to the back and sides. The center strip in the back is maple and black, I love how the maple is a creamy color instead of stark white. Bindings and purfling top and bottom with a tail graft will be next to do on the body.

Wow Dave, both woods look fantastic-you sure picked the right redwood! The difference from the the raw samples to the construction phase never ceases to amaze me. Love that center strip. Excitement must be intensifying.

SoloRule
01-20-2018, 04:17 AM
The top is now glued to the back and sides. The center strip in the back is maple and black, I love how the maple is a creamy color instead of stark white. Bindings and purfling top and bottom with a tail graft will be next to do on the body.

Made me SMILE

Lapyang
01-20-2018, 04:28 AM
Lovely wood combination. Keep us posted.

DownUpDave
01-21-2018, 07:45 AM
Lovely wood combination. Keep us posted.

Thank you very much. The builder, Hank Johnson, has been a pleasure to work with and gave me a lot of wood sets to choice from.

Spicysteve
02-06-2018, 06:30 AM
Coming in a little late on this..... OMG! What fabulous woods, cant wait to see it finished and to hear a sound sample.
Congratulations on whats going to be one exquisite Uke!

DownUpDave
02-08-2018, 01:35 AM
Coming in a little late on this..... OMG! What fabulous woods, cant wait to see it finished and to hear a sound sample.
Congratulations on whats going to be one exquisite Uke!

Better late than never as they say. Thanks for the nice comments, love your user name, are you a cook?

DownUpDave
02-08-2018, 01:38 AM
Got the lastest update picture. The body has one coat of sealer. Will need to be sanded down than mutliple coats of finish applied.

Doc_J
02-08-2018, 02:48 AM
Great build progress pictures. Beautiful work by Hank. Curious as to the body depth. While it’s hard to tell exactly from the pictures, it seems the body is maybe a bit deeper than most concerts. That should make for a little more bass, and a nice sounding super concert.

DownUpDave
02-08-2018, 07:08 AM
Great build progress pictures. Beautiful work by Hank. Curious as to the body depth. While it’s hard to tell exactly from the pictures, it seems the body is maybe a bit deeper than most concerts. That should make for a little more bass, and a nice sounding super concert.

Thanks so much Hodge. It is hard to tell by that picture but you have a good eye. The body shape is similar to a Kamaka and it is a bit deeper than most concerts. More bass and resonace is exactly what I was after. I will start it out strung low G.

keod
02-08-2018, 09:30 AM
Got the lastest update picture. The body has one coat of sealer. Will need to be sanded down than mutliple coats of finish applied.

Gorgeous Dave - you picked the woods so well! The body does look very deep. I swear that makes a huge difference....my Kinnard soprano is 3 inches deep where some of my other sopranos are as little as 2 1/4 inches. Yours is going to sound amazing - to match it's looks.

DownUpDave
02-12-2018, 11:34 AM
I am having a Misi pick up installed in this super concert with the tone and volume control wheels. Hank will mount them at the side sound port so he sent this picture of the freshly cut sound port. This is bigger than he usually does, it like it. I also really like the fact that the uke is still covered in saw dust, real woodworkers make saw dust.

Ukulele Eddie
02-13-2018, 05:18 AM
It's looking fabulous, Dave!