Ukulele with flush fingerboard

StevieD009

Reaction score
Hi all,
I own an Ohana SK-28, and I love the fact that its fingerboard is flush with the body (neck is joined at the body without raising up). This seems to be a bygone technique that was used on ukes in the 50s/60s. But I love the way strumming feels on it, I don't run into the neck with my finger. So, my question is: Do you know of any other modern ukulele models with flush fingerboards? Or if you know of any vintage that are worth looking at please feel free to list those, but I prefer to buy new if possible (vintage=problems lol). Thanks!

Hi all,
I own an Ohana SK-28, and I love the fact that its fingerboard is flush with the body (neck is joined at the body without raising up). This seems to be a bygone technique that was used on ukes in the 50s/60s. But I love the way strumming feels on it, I don't run into the neck with my finger. So, my question is: Do you know of any other modern ukulele models with flush fingerboards? Or if you know of any vintage that are worth looking at please feel free to list those, but I prefer to buy new if possible (vintage=problems lol). Thanks!

Please show photos. Thanks

P1020942.jpgI have a japanese built old Luna soprano and a CK 28, you're right it's anjoy to play.

As a player of the vintage ukulele and builder of experimental instruments, I have considered the problem of fret board extension and thought that a composite or laminate of wood and carbon fiber with a support post through a sound board hole to the tip of the extension would work and free up an extra vibration area.

A totally flush fret board would not work but could with the thin fret board like on a Martin. Perhaps the next project will incorporate this concept.

The Brüko slimline used to be built this way, but I don't think they are any more. I have one myself, and a more up-to-date slimline arch back. Personally I prefer the raised fretboard on the newer model but it is more expensive.

For photos and a review see fellow UU member Barry Maz's GotAUkulele site here:

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2010/08/bruko-black-slimbody-soprano-review.html

Reference the comments on strings, I think the Pyramid strings are best tuned ADF#B.

Yes, you either like that or you don't. It feels a bit weird the first time on a flush board uke. I believe that Bruko sopranos have flush fingerboards. Also, early Favilla from 1910s-20's. Yes, your fingers don't hit the fingerboard extenstion, but can then be hitting the top instead.

Good point, I think the reason I like it is because I learned on it - and again, the heavy strumming seems much more pleasing on it to me. I can't seem to find any of the Burkos from the era when they made them like that, but would be very interested in one. I've seen a couple Favillas, but always cautious about buying any instrument that old. They're cool, in theory, until you have to start fixing them so they are playable :)

The Brüko slimline used to be built this way, but I don't think they are any more. I have one myself, and a more up-to-date slimline arch back. Personally I prefer the raised fretboard on the newer model but it is more expensive.

For photos and a review see fellow UU member Barry Maz's GotAUkulele site here:

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2010/08/bruko-black-slimbody-soprano-review.html

Reference the comments on strings, I think the Pyramid strings are best tuned ADF#B.

Awesome, thanks. I actually came across that page in my search, looks like a cool uke, although I'm not crazy about the slim body. They seem to have discontinued that line and now have the raised fingerboard on all their current ukes. Can't seem to find a used one like that either, but I'll keep looking. I've been thinking of trying Pyramid strings, that's a weird tuning - I'll give it a try.

I love it on my SK-28, I consider it faux-low action, making it a sweet sounding instrument.

So you lost a couple of frets
Don’t think I have ever seen this design
Very interesting
Do you prefer this over the traditional neck?

I suppose a maker could make one like a lute with the higher frets in the actual soundboard :)

As a player of the vintage ukulele and builder of experimental instruments, I have considered the problem of fret board extension and thought that a composite or laminate of wood and carbon fiber with a support post through a sound board hole to the tip of the extension would work and free up an extra vibration area.

A totally flush fret board would not work but could with the thin fret board like on a Martin. Perhaps the next project will incorporate this concept.

Compass Rose ukuleles have a floating fretboard that doesn't touch the soundboard.

John

Originally I think all Ukuleles were built like this. At least I've never seen an early Hawaiian model with an extended fretboard. Even when Martin came in, the tiny low extension they added didn't add frets.

Cuatros are still almost always built this way. In addition they have a tap plate above the soundhole.

It is an excellent set-up for strumming, but not restricted to that. Ukuleles were originally tuned in an open D like modern Brazilian Cavaquinhos. This is one note off from a linear tuning and is used for lead melody playing. On these small, short scale instruments where things can get plinky up high and with the strings of that day, no one felt the need for more than 12 frets, even for melody.

Last edited:
So you lost a couple of frets
Don’t think I have ever seen this design
Very interesting
Do you prefer this over the traditional neck?

Why would you ever need more than 12 frets? :D
Yes, I prefer this, and it IS the traditional neck, the way they made ukes back in the day - read the thread Brenda lol
Another interesting thing about having the fingerboard flush with the soundboard is that you can continue on past the frets and play on the soundboard if you want to go that high.

Compass Rose ukuleles have a floating fretboard that doesn't touch the soundboard.

John

Interesting ukes, I could see the floating fretboard making for a different tone. However, for me that's the opposite of what I'm looking for lol. I don't like the feel of the fingerboard jumping up off the body, just makes it awkward for my finger strumming personally.

Originally I think all Ukuleles were built like this. At least I've never seen an early Hawaiian model with an extended fretboard. Even when Martin came in, the tiny low extension they added didn't add frets.

Cuatros are still almost always built this way. In addition they have a tap plate above the soundhole.

It is an excellent set-up for strumming, but not restricted to that. Ukuleles were originally tuned in an open D like modern Brazilian Cavaquinhos. This is one note off from a linear tuning and is used for lead melody playing. On these small, short scale instruments where things can get plinky up high and with the strings of that day, no one felt the need for more than 12 frets, even for melody.

Thanks Dirk,
Interesting about the cuatros and the open D tuning. Yeah, I have found a few antique ukes that use this build - only reason Ohana made the SK-28 that way is because they were mimicking those early ukes. I was hoping to find one a step in quality from the Ohana (not that it's bad, it's a great uke, just looking for a next level one with this kind of build). Maybe going with a vintage is my only option, I just get nervous buying vintage because there is always work to do on them. Maybe Southcoast will make a modern model with a flush fingerboard? There seems to be a demand for it ;)

Top Bottom