Campground Ukulele

bornagainjeeper

Reaction score
Ok so as many of you are aware in in the outdoor adventure and outdoor education business...

I work for a company called Land for Learning http://www.landforlearning.org

and we are currently hosting about 100 7th graders who are spending Wed Thurs and Friday OUT OF THE 4 WALL CLASSROOM in into our forests...which is absolutely magical to be a part of as you can imagine. We do team building, canoeing, owl prowl hikes at night, aquatic critter searches among other things...to make this long story short
of course we end our evenings around a fire in a beautiful little benched stadium seating amphitheater...so we tell stories...sing songs..and a few musical performances...My boss and coworker asked me "so you want to do i song, i know you sing great" and i saiddddddddd sureeeeeeee so i Started off with Abiyoyo by pete seegar...check it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHR9uJLS3XA

and i had the whole mess of them singing along and having a great time then for the final song i did a few verses of my version of Rainbow connection from the muppet movie...all quiet and layed back, and for the first time i wasn't nervous...it just came out....perfectly...I'm nothing but smiles right now...
The end of the tale....all the kids were amazed with the little guitar i played and wanted to know as much about it as possible...new UU members on the way? I hope so
Alex

Alex, that must have been a wonderful experience. It's a great story. Looks like you'll be giving some 'little guitar' lessons real soon!

Ok so as many of you are aware in in the outdoor adventure and outdoor education business...

I work for a company called Land for Learning http://www.landforlearning.org

and we are currently hosting about 100 7th graders who are spending Wed Thurs and Friday OUT OF THE 4 WALL CLASSROOM in into our forests...which is absolutely magical to be a part of as you can imagine. We do team building, canoeing, owl prowl hikes at night, aquatic critter searches among other things...to make this long story short
of course we end our evenings around a fire in a beautiful little benched stadium seating amphitheater...so we tell stories...sing songs..and a few musical performances...My boss and coworker asked me "so you want to do i song, i know you sing great" and i saiddddddddd sureeeeeeee so i Started off with Abiyoyo by pete seegar...check it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHR9uJLS3XA

and i had the whole mess of them singing along and having a great time then for the final song i did a few verses of my version of Rainbow connection from the muppet movie...all quiet and layed back, and for the first time i wasn't nervous...it just came out....perfectly...I'm nothing but smiles right now...
The end of the tale....all the kids were amazed with the little guitar i played and wanted to know as much about it as possible...new UU members on the way? I hope so
Alex

That sounds awesome...

I'm stuck in the 4 walls with my students (7th Grade) all the time, and I wish I had a better context to teach them about the world (sometimes I feel confined just doing english all the time... I wanted to do a physics lesson yesterday, but of course I couldn't.)

Keep it up!

Congrats! I need to add to my kid song collection. Most of them like Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen. But the Rainbow Connection...that's a must. Nothing beats singing in nature surrounded by happy campers!

Hey, I do Abiyoyo in my Kindergarten class -- will you help me with the chords?

I am a brand new baby uke player. :)

Pamelamama I have a pretty good song and finger-play book with chords I could get you. When I taught pre-k I used it mucho. I teach fifth grade now and don't use the book as much but I do use the uke mucho.

I love "Rainbow Connection". I really need to work on that with the ukulele…

Thanks for introducing me to "Abiyoyo". That was awesome.

Very glad you found that magical place while performing where things just come together in a relaxed manner and you can just play and enjoy the experience. That is indeed a special thing.

Pamelamama I have a pretty good song and finger-play book with chords I could get you. When I taught pre-k I used it mucho. I teach fifth grade now and don't use the book as much but I do use the uke mucho.

That would be so awesome! Are you sure you can part with it?

That would be so awesome! Are you sure you can part with it?

What is the name of the book you have. Is it something you can buy online? Thanks!

Top Bottom