Flamenco Rumba for solo Ukukle

MikeHollandGuitar

Reaction score
Flamenco Rumba for solo Ukulele

A little Flamenco Rumba I wrote for solo Ukulele. I do have tabs for this if anybody is interested but tha Rasgueados (strums) are not noted as played.They are improvised and inserted as you feel when you play.
Hope you all enjoy,
Mike

Last edited:
Nice composition.

This is a "safe" space isn't it?:eek:

Look, I'm a cranky old dude and you seem like a skilled player so I'm going to tell you what I think.

You need to find the groove. Your not alone. LOTS of players of many musical instruments need to find the groove. I guess that I've listened to too many promising new players that have decent skill but NO groove.

What I want to say to them all is, please slow down for a moment and NAIL the groove. The groove is EVERYTHING.

Haha.... not cranky at all. I had tabbed it out and was reading from the tab as I was recording. I should have commited it to memory before recording as I can tell it was a bit rushed in places. I much prefer to play these things with a percussion player. I am also getting very lazy!!!!!

Haha.... not cranky at all. I had tabbed it out and was reading from the tab as I was recording. I should have commited it to memory before recording as I can tell it was a bit rushed in places. I much prefer to play these things with a percussion player. I am also getting very lazy!!!!!

Yes, well I never play ANYTHING in public that I haven't committed to memory and practiced. Its not just you. I've listened to numerous talented young performers at festivals and such that had good technical ability other than a serious lack of groove.

Most experienced players play with their mood, take for example Jake, he plays slight differences in every preformance. I would think it's too boring and less feel playing and following a confined structured tab..
Playing freestyle gives the player a sense of fun and creativity around the song. Who knows he could even improve and improvise a better melody in time or at the moment.

Last edited:
Mike
This is an awesome performance
You got the skill and the move !
It looks and sounds perfect to me.
Thank you for always sharing your arrangements so generously!
UU needs more members like you! This is what this forum is all about! We are all happy to have you with us!
I second what MM Stan said. A thumb up and A five stars vote from me

Yes, well I never play ANYTHING in public that I haven't committed to memory and practiced. Its not just you. I've listened to numerous talented young performers at festivals and such that had good technical ability other than a serious lack of groove.

Seeing as this is a "safe place" I find your....."I never play ANYTHING in public that I haven't committed to memory and practiced" very self righteous, indignant and condescending.

Mike I listened the whole way through, something I don't always do and I really enjoyed it. Please keep posting your wonderful pieces.

Last edited:
Oh, and I forgot: since you offered, can I have the tabs, please?:eek:

Very nice! Please keep posting your songs to inspire the rest of us (take those cranks with a huge grain of salt).

Could I take you up on your offer of the tabs please? And THANK YOU, it's very nice and generous of you to offer them to us.

Seeing as this is a "safe place" I find your....."I never play ANYTHING in public that I haven't committed to memory and practiced" very self righteous, indignant and condescending.

Mike I listened the whole way through, something I don't always do and I really enjoyed it. Please keep posting your wonderful pieces.

Everyone just chill ... Nice video!

Personally I thought that mike took my criticism appropriately.

You all know the "Blues" story of a new player going down to the cross roads and selling their "Soul" to the Devil in order to become a phenomenal player?
Well its not a literal story, its an allegory. The Crossroads is where you choose to commit whole heartedly to music or not and to be a great player you NEED to commit whole heartedly.

For many years I was a member of a Camera Club and we held competitions. Those competitions were divided into A grade and B grade. The judges were told to take it easy on the B graders but let the A graders have it. The A graders would get upset if the judge was taking it too easy on them.

I classed mike as an A grader. The Aloha spirit is great and all but collectively we aren't doing ukulele music any favours if we can't be critical of the "A graders".

Someone here posted that Jake commented that when people always told him how good he was his attitude was that you didn't need to be that good to be complimented as people didn't EXPECT that much from ukulele players. Jake is GREAT because he is self critical. I'm not going to be rough on all the new players but someone like mike can handle a little criticism.

Personally I thought that mike took my criticism appropriately.

You all know the "Blues" story of a new player going down to the cross roads and selling their "Soul" to the Devil in order to become a phenomenal player?
Well its not a literal story, its an allegory. The Crossroads is where you choose to commit whole heartedly to music or not and to be a great player you NEED to commit whole heartedly.

For many years I was a member of a Camera Club and we held competitions. Those competitions were divided into A grade and B grade. The judges were told to take it easy on the B graders but let the A graders have it. The A graders would get upset if the judge was taking it too easy on them.

I classed mike as an A grader. The Aloha spirit is great and all but collectively we aren't doing ukulele music any favours if we can't be critical of the "A graders".

Someone here posted that Jake commented that when people always told him how good he was his attitude was that you didn't need to be that good to be complimented as people didn't EXPECT that much from ukulele players. Jake is GREAT because he is self critical. I'm not going to be rough on all the new players but someone like mike can handle a little criticism.

I think offering constructive criticism is good, and your tone was fair.

Mike is an accomplished musician and I appreciate his videos. He is a BY FAR player than I.

It is this kind of criticism that turn a lot of people off from posting video. It is just plain rude.

For your information. Mike Holland is NOT a beginner player.

Mike is an accomplished musician - a whole lot more accomplished than many of us in the forum. He took your criticism earlier because he is a gentleman.

Furthermore, we are here to encourage each other not being a critic especially when no one is asking for your opinion.

Last edited:
Anthony, it takes great courage to offer constructive criticism in a diplomatic way like you did. You helped Mike, I feel.

Mike, your composition and playing are beautiful! If you're not 100% happy with this attempt, would you mind posting it again with your "groove" in it?

Thank you for playing it and posting it for us!

I say well done to Mike, and well done to Anthony for offering some advice, which seems to me Mike took appropriately.

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but nobody commented on this post prior to Anthony's comment, nobody. It seems to me Anthony brought some attention to the post while everyone else was not really paying attention.

Anthony, it takes great courage to offer constructive criticism in a diplomatic way like you did. You helped Mike, I feel.

Mike, your composition and playing are beautiful! If you're not 100% happy with this attempt, would you mind posting it again with your "groove" in it?

Thank you for playing it and posting it for us!

Thanks for the support.

Yes I was trying to offer constructive criticism and yes its usually controversial to do so.
I was of the view that Mikes playing was worthy of taking the time to offer constructive criticism.

Maybe people could declare if they are willing and able to be criticised or not. no one is more critical of myself than I so I would be happy for people to criticise my work. I don't claim to be the best player here although I am currently a professional busker so that automatically puts me in "A" grade and fair game.

I think the real question here is: Would you have offered the same criticism in real life and not on the internet? For some reason people think they can just say whatever they want with absolutely no repercussions just because it's under the veil of online anonymity. In this day and age you are your online persona. So when you come out of the woodwork to offer criticism that wasn't asked for you're really just posturing. Call yourself a "professional busker" all you want. Whatever the heck that is. Here in Nashville the "professional buskers" are the ones who aren't good enough to play in the real clubs.

Also, when you mention that no one commented on this post until your criticism... I'm not surprised. People love drama. Otherwise why would I even waste my time responding to you. lol

Top Bottom