PDA

View Full Version : Aquila Low G unwound reds update

mimmo
01-17-2018, 06:10 AM
Hi guys,
I have discovered a very interesting thing concerning our single low G reds: if I charge with metal powder the recent plastic I have dicovered and that came from the sugar -cane instead the traditional Nylgut I employ on these Low G reds, I have seen that they perform damn louder and brighter than the traditional ones.

The string is also stronger, despite the fact that actually the last version of the reds is much more better than those made in the begginning (1st and 2nd generation)
The colour is less brik-like but reddish, closer to the upper reds.

HERE is:
https://www.facebook.com/mperuffo/videos/10216070211849438/

So.... may I ask to some of you, guys, expecially the HATERS of the Aquila unwound low g reds to give a try and then tell me what they thinks? Maybe even those that had breckages....:o

Yeah, I will pick up some for the NAMM show for all the guys of the hall E full of ukulele players, friends, dudes & makers.

Please send me the request, the complete adress plus a phone to
aquila@aquilacorde.com

thanks
Mimmo Italy

DownUpDave
01-17-2018, 06:26 AM
I am a died in the wool "WOUND" string low G user. I find non-wound always dull and thuddy sounding. But I am up for experimenting as I finally gave the high G Reds a good test on a few ukes and was very pleased, I like the new smooth texture so much better.

Thank you for continuing to improve your products and always pushing the envelope.

Pirate Jim
01-17-2018, 06:57 AM
Yes, I'm on a re entrant binge at the moment but as one of those people with historical issues with the reds I just wanted to post and say I really enjoy the new batches and thanks to Mimmo for always looking to improve and give us more options.

mimmo
01-17-2018, 07:10 AM
Guys guys!
remember: which kind of uke is; phone number, no piobox. No 6 & 8 tenor strings, no baritone, no banjo ukes (I have no strings for these ones) and.. I want expecially those that are haters and like unwound low G fluorocarbon strings, ja
thanks
Mimmo

EDW
01-17-2018, 07:35 AM
I have not used the Reds, but have some other Aquilas on my instrument and am awaiting a set of Sugar strings to come in the mail (ordered from the site). I have to say that I am impressed with Mimmo's desire to keep experimenting, keep improving and keep listening to player's feedback. That is great customer service.

Alytw
01-17-2018, 09:26 AM
Mimmo,

How about red trebles for the e tuning cordoba mini? Any chance Aquila could make these?

rappsy
01-17-2018, 10:25 AM
Thanks Mimmo for this very generous offer. I am SLOWLY developing a taste for Low G and prefer Unwound, so this will be interesting to hear.

igorthebarbarian
01-17-2018, 01:06 PM
I've never found a good unwound low G for my Concert Fluke. This might be a good option.

mimmo
01-17-2018, 09:13 PM
Hi Guys. I have received a lot of requests!

I think that we can stop there. A big thanks.

Today I will do the job sending you the samples. Then ready to the NAMM shows. I will have good time seeing a lot of good friends such as Mike Upton and collegues of Kala ukuleles, Cordoba, Risa, Kanilea and so on. I will have woth me a lot of Sugar uke sets plus these newest Low G reds.They are all waiting these things. Go ahead now
Ciao
Mimmo

mimmo
01-19-2018, 11:36 PM
well. I have done the job: all the samples are flying to the testers.
Thanks guys!
Mimmo

DownUpDave
01-20-2018, 12:48 AM
Thank you Mimmo. I just want to let you know that my Mya Moe baritone has a set of your Carbon black strings on it and has never sounded so good, seriously. I have had trouble finding the right treble strings for this instrument and the Blacks are the best I have tried.

DownUpDave
01-22-2018, 06:17 PM
I received the Red low G strings today, thank you Mimmo that was very fast. I put the Red low G on my Koolau CS Spruce and Myrtle tenor. I did this about an hour ago and it is still stretching of course but it seems very promising. I will play the instrument a lot over the next few days then do a review. Thank you again

igorthebarbarian
01-22-2018, 07:41 PM
Hi Mimmo. I received mine today for a concert Fluke. I also put one on my soprano (14" scale, slightly longer than the normal scale) Flea. I already have Aquila Red's on the Flea (high G) so I'm just changing the high G for the low G. And so far it sounds good! Better than I expected. Better than most of the fluorocarbon low G's I've ever tried (I love Worth strings, but hate their low G's).
Also I love the texture of Aquila Red's.
I would say this is a very good option for folks who like low G.
... Off to play some more... Thanks again!
-Tom

Tootler
01-23-2018, 02:15 PM
I've never found a good unwound low G for my Concert Fluke. This might be a good option.

Strings are very much a matter of presonal preference. I have a Worth clear (CT) low G on my tenor Fluke and am very happy with it.

When I had my Tenor Fluke tuned dGBE, I thought at first the G sounded thuddy but several people said how much they liked the sound so it seems that what we hear is not what others hear when we are playing our instruments.

Maybe it would be an idea to record your instrument if you think the low G string sounds thuddy so you something closer to what other people hear before you write a particular string off as "thuddy"

DownUpDave
01-24-2018, 01:18 AM
Strings are very much a matter of presonal preference. I have a Worth clear (CT) low G on my tenor Fluke and am very happy with it.

When I had my Tenor Fluke tuned dGBE, I thought at first the G sounded thuddy but several people said how much they liked the sound so it seems that what we hear is not what others hear when we are playing our instruments.

Maybe it would be an idea to record your instrument if you think the low G string sounds thuddy so you something closer to what other people hear before you write a particular string off as "thuddy"

I agree with what you are saying "we as players hear thing differently then others listening". Everytime someone plays one of my ukes and I am facing that player the instrument sounds different. But what is most important to me is how I hear it when playing it, if a floro low G sounds thuddy to me it sounds thuddy and I don't like it and won't use it. Just another perspective, but I do agree with igorthebarbarian

Initial testing has been very promising. This non wound low G is NOT thuddy.

Inksplosive AL
01-24-2018, 03:29 PM
Sitting yesterday I hear someone talking outside my door I lower the TV to hear a light tapping at the door. Cue my year and a half old pit bull to now want to see who is at the door. After a minute he realizes he is not getting his way and listens to the repeated command to lay down. I rush outside pissed off now having heard the truck beeping as it backed away, I'm fuming I'm not expecting anything...

I look down to see a large envelope sitting on the ground. I pick it up and see where its from and I'm instantly happy and smiling, what a turn around. Minutes later after tearing into the well sealed envelope I find not one but two wonderful new strings to try. Having had not one but two of the old low G's break on my Risa soprano I feel I need to pull that one out and give it a go. Ive been sitting here trying to decide which ukulele to string up low G.

Ive walked my new to me Timms to my backroom as the temptation was great. I recently put an older red low G on my Kala SEM which I love, perhaps I will swap it with that one for a comparison or I have a similar GAS model I could throw it on. The tonality to my ears the GAS is a bit brighter and fuller than the SEM, the SEM being a bit duller with more bass naturally.

Heh if all of life's decisions were so tough.

mimmo
01-25-2018, 04:27 AM
Hi guys greetings from Anaheim, CA.
I am up from the 2.30 am ....damn jet lag
I am very happy that you guys are receiving the strings . Yes I preferred that you have two strings instead just one

01-25-2018, 07:52 PM
Good luck at NAMM Mimmo! I'm really looking forward to hearing some more responses to your new Sugar strings, and for them to be available in Canada.

stevepetergal
01-26-2018, 02:36 AM
I'm more interested in finding these strings when they come up for sale than in alpha testing. Please, let us know when this happens.

Jim Hanks
01-26-2018, 04:18 PM
I put the Red low G on my Koolau CS Spruce and Myrtle tenor.
How would you describe the tension on tenor scale? I'm really more curious how this string might work on 19" scale. If it is medium to higher tension as a G3 on 17", then maybe it could serve as low to medium tension as an E3 on 19" scale which could be useful to me in a couple of ways.

DownUpDave
01-27-2018, 02:45 AM
How would you describe the tension on tenor scale? I'm really more curious how this string might work on 19" scale. If it is medium to higher tension as a G3 on 17", then maybe it could serve as low to medium tension as an E3 on 19" scale which could be useful to me in a couple of ways.

Hey Jim I would say it is lower tension than a wound low G string. I just played it back to back with 2 ukes strung with Fremont and SouthCoast low G. When bending a note at the 3rd, 5th and 7th fret the Aquila Red definitely has less tension. I think it would do very well as an E3 on a 19"scale.

Ziret
01-27-2018, 07:10 AM

I have it on my TT which is strung with Aquila Red soprano strings. The tension feels similar to the red soprano wound string it replaced. So probably medium to low.

Ziret
01-27-2018, 09:14 AM
I got my strings on Monday and the G has settled in now. It arrived just as the wound red soprano string I had was wearing out. It blends in fine with the rest of the red soprano set. It feels great. It didn't cause any intonation problems, even though it doesn't quite fit in the nut slot. And the sound, to me, is indistinguishable from the red wound I took off. I'm sold. Thank you, Mimmo, I hope the two strings you sent last until they are available for sale. Can't wait to try the sugar strings you included--I just hate to take these reds off before they're worn out.

mimmo
01-29-2018, 06:10 AM
Hi guys,
here is a video showing the new unwound sugar red:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agWT_9-Z02s

mimmo

merlin666
01-29-2018, 07:27 AM
I already love Aquila strings and this opportunity to try new ones is a great experience. Thank you Mimmo for the ultra fast shipping.

LimuHead
01-31-2018, 01:31 PM
Thank you for sending the new red low Gs so quickly. I've already played two gigs with the one I put on my Riptide tenor and really like how it sounds and feels on this uke. Two other uke players came to see me at my restaurant gig and they were impressed with the new string too.

I put the other low G on my Deering Goodtime banjo tuned GDAE and really like how it plays and sounds.

Another amazing thing about these new low Gs is how quickly they settle in. Both times it took less than a day!

I will be buying several of these strings when they become available.

Thank you so much! These are the strings I've been hoping for!

Aldon

mimmo
01-31-2018, 08:13 PM
Thanks Aldon,
actually I have already done a few thousands of these ones. So the problem is with the other one, i will put all them in the garbage. Unfortunately I have heard back from a few of those that had samples but all the comments are very positive. So I can go ahead.
Mille grazie
Mimmo

Ah, one more thing: the 3rd & 4th unwound Baritone reds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-QDutnmhfE

Jim Hanks
02-01-2018, 02:39 PM
Ah, one more thing: the 3rd & 4th unwound Baritone reds:
Ooh, VERY interesting! Let us know when those are available to order

bsfloyd
02-02-2018, 01:08 AM
Ooh, VERY interesting! Let us know when those are available to order

Same here!!

Pueo
02-10-2018, 10:21 AM
Mahalo Mimmo I got my set yesterday!
Unfortunately the string is too large to use on my Compass Rose - it is a string-through bridge and both the high and low G will not fit together in the hole.
I will try it on another Ukulele though!
I will post a video once they settle in!

Mille grazie!

DownUpDave
02-10-2018, 10:35 AM
I have had the Red Low G on my spruce and myrtle Koolau tenor for a couple weeks now. This is a stern test for this string #1 being the string set on there is optimized through trial and error and #2 this uke has a wound C string. I thought the sound difference between the non wound G and wound C strings would be very noticably but its not bad.

Pros: Good deep sound. Resonants and sustains VERY well. No thuddy thumpy dull dead sound like most non-wound strings I have tried. Sorry non-wound lovers but those are my personal feelings. Mimmo asked for "haters"....his words

Cons: Large diameter, .040" compared to most wounds at .030". The texture is rough like the old Reds. The tension is lower then wound strings, noticeable when pair with a wound C . It is not floppy or loose but bends easier.

None of the cons are a major issue and if you dislike wound low G strings this is the very best sounding non-wound low G string I have ever tried. I have removed it and just installed it on my Farallon, will report back on this match

Well Done Mimmo.

neo1022
02-10-2018, 01:13 PM
I have removed it and just installed it on my Farallon, will report back on this match

Please report on the results of the Farallon setup!

mimmo
02-11-2018, 12:05 AM
thanks Downupdave,
you are a real good 'hater' ah ha ...heck: helpfull report.
Gauge: unfortunately i cannot do thinner strings because the copper powder permit to reach just a twice density than nylgut. Instead, a standard wound string has a density that is 4 time more: hence the brighter sound and thinner gauge. Said that I can add a bit more copper powder but I think that the string became even a bit more fragile. I would like to avoid any complaints about breackages, guys
take care
Mimmo

DownUpDave
02-11-2018, 12:47 AM
thanks Downupdave,
you are a real good 'hater' ah ha ...heck.
Helpfull report. Gauge: unfortunately i cannot do thinner strings because the copper powder permit to reach just a twice density than nylgut. Instead, a standard wound string has a density that is 4 time more: ence the brighter sound and thinner gauge. Said that I can add a bit more copper powder but I think that the string became even a bit more fragile. I would like to avoid any complaints about breackages, guys
take care
Mimmo

Thanks for the explanation Mimmo. I figure you have to walk a fine line between thickness, sound and durability. No one wants breakage problems again. As I said above the thickness and texture are minor issues. The sound is the best of any non-wound string I have tried and that is the most important thing.

mimmo
02-11-2018, 01:15 AM
great.
maybe you are switching for a full 'hater' of the unwound stringsw to a medium level 'hater'... ah ah . thanks for your explanation. I will not intriduce chaanges
Mimmo

Jonas3000
02-11-2018, 09:44 PM
Hello ukulele friends,

I saw that the post here is about the Aquila strings also, so I decided to ask here.

I am having a KoAloha Opio Concert Spruce Top Acacia (KCO-10S) and I have only played it for seven months, this is my first music instrument, which means I am a total new beginner. But I really enjoy the feeling when I play the ukulele, it is like meditating for me.

I have a question, with regards to the "Aquila 86U Red Series Concert Low G Ukulele Set"

- and the "Aquila Red Series 71U Low G Concert Ukulele Single String"

I do not like the feeling at my fingers, when I touch the "4th Low G wound string" at the "Aquila 86U Red Series Concert Low G Ukulele Set"

I prefer the "71U unwound Low G single string" because I think it feels better for my fingers.

Is it possible to use the "71U unwound Low G single string" at string number 4

- and then only use the 86U set at the 3rd, 2nd and 1st string.

Will it be okay to do ?.

Any information you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

DownUpDave
02-12-2018, 03:59 AM
Hello ukulele friends,

I saw that the post here is about the Aquila strings also, so I decided to ask here.

I am having a KoAloha Opio Concert Spruce Top Acacia (KCO-10S) and I have only played it for seven months, this is my first music instrument, which means I am a total new beginner. But I really enjoy the feeling when I play the ukulele, it is like meditating for me.

I have a question, with regards to the "Aquila 86U Red Series Concert Low G Ukulele Set"

- and the "Aquila Red Series 71U Low G Concert Ukulele Single String"

I do not like the feeling at my fingers, when I touch the "4th Low G wound string" at the "Aquila 86U Red Series Concert Low G Ukulele Set"

I prefer the "71U unwound Low G single string" because I think it feels better for my fingers.

Is it possible to use the "71U unwound Low G single string" at string number 4

- and then only use the 86U set at the 3rd, 2nd and 1st string.

Will it be okay to do ?.

Any information you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Yes it is is ok to replace just the wound lowG concert string with the non-wound Red 71U concert low G string. Both are concert "gauge" so tension and intonation will be fine.

Jonas3000
02-12-2018, 03:40 PM
DownUpDave:

Thank you so much for your reply, I appreciate it.

I am very glad to hear that it is possible to replace just the wound Low G 86U concert string, with the non-wound Red 71U concert Low G string..
and just use the 86U set, at the 3rd, 2nd and 1st string.

- Will definitely try it.

Peace,
Jonas.