The metal 3rd String: How Should "C" Be?

Joko

Reaction score
I was listening to an old video of mine, and I realized something about how my ukulele sounds that I hadn't been able to figure out before.

Why doesn't it sound like an ukulele? It sounds like a smaller version of that instrument that starts with a "g". I can't say it's name. Wanguruwe (my old uke) is listening and he gets very upset whenever someone even slightly compares the uke and the g....g...g... outta respect, I shall refrain.

How many of you have that 3rd metal string? The video I was watching is over in the Videos & Links part of this forum.

What do you think? If I re-string my uke with all nylon strings, will it sound better?:confused:

Wound strings do tend to give the uke a more classical g..g-g-g-ggjgjkfjfk-like sound. Certain string brands also sound, well, less like the traditional plinky Hawaiian ukulele. ;) Try out an all-nylon (or nylgut) set and I think you'll hear the difference.

It's usually practical to make the low G string a wound one, but I don't really see the point with the C.

Speaking specifically about my tenors, I buy them to sound deep warm and rich so naturally I want the strings that best match that. I find the Ko'olau low g wound 3rd and 4th string set to be the perfect match. Those low wound 3rd n 4ths really add substantially to its deep richness and the clear 1st/2nd strings sound perfect too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Koolau-Gold-TEN...16224QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Last edited:
Hmmm. I have no problem saying "gee-tar" in front of my ukulele. In fact, I often stand in front of my guitars with a uke in hand and scold the uke, saying, "If you don't stop eating that junk food, you'll wind up just like your cousins here!"

I just put Aquila Nylguts on my Oscar Schmidt tenor... I love the sound of the new strings in comparison to the original GHS strings. There's much more volume and brightness, however I think I do miss the wound C. I didn't know if this topic was threadworthy or not, considering there are already a lot of threads on string selection.. Does anyone else prefer the wound C on a tenor?

ps. I'm also having a much harder time with the 5 fret harmonics on the aquilas

Top Bottom