Jake to appear as sideman at Jazz Fest

southcoastukes

Reaction score
The 2018 Jazz Fest schedule was just released and Jake will be playing on Saturday, April 29th, closing out one of the main stages. He won't be the featured artist, he'll be a sideman in the "Acoustic Airmen", a back-up band for Jimmy Buffet.

All the names of the Airmen were not released, but in addition to Jake, the band will have Sonny Landreth and longtime Buffet collaborator Mac MacAnally.

Now for those of you who don't know Sonny, he's from further out west in Cajun country. Like a lot of great guitarists around here he passed through the band of the Cajun Troubadour, Zachary Richard. I don't think you would get much argument in calling him the finest slide guitarist on the planet today.

But "acoustic" is not the first thing that jumps to mind with Sonny. He can rip the guts out of an electric guitar. Here he is on his breakout album with maybe his best known song. Congo Square is just in back of the Quarter (now in Louis Armstrong Park). It's where slaves were permitted to gather on Sundays to socialize, dance and sing; it's been called the birthplace of Jazz. Sonny's got a nice back-up band himself here: Mark Knopfler and Allen Toussaint. Just listen to them trading riffs at the end:

But don't think he's any sort of slouch on acoustic. "Blues Attack" is another of his classics, the sort of song that will stick in your head for days. Here he does it solo w/o an amp:

I'm sure each of these two virtuosos will be featured for a song or two. I'm most interested to hear how they play together.

Oh, Boy! 'Bout to get a Blues Attack!

See you down in Dixie!

Last edited:
Wow, Jake on the side!
That just blows my mind.

A good sideman will complement the leader without overshadowing them. A good leader will still give the sideman time to shine as well. Kinda like this:

No one has yet posted any good videos of the Acoustic Airmen, but as it turns out, Jake got a solo gig as well. Here he is on the Fais-Do-Do stage opening with a tasty "Time of the Season".

Last edited:
A good sideman will complement the leader without overshadowing them. A good leader will still give the sideman time to shine as well. Kinda like this:

I love that video with Alison Brown! That's in her Compass Records studio in Nashville. Originally, it was the Glaser Brothers studio and was known as 'Hillbilly Central' because of all the great artists who recorded there back in country music's outlaw days. It's also where John Hartford recorded his 'Aero-Plain' album. The studio is upstairs in a house on 19th Ave. S in Nashville, a couple of blocks from Music Row.

Top Bottom