PDA

View Full Version : Adding a tone knob to Pono Baritone BE-MG

Tenorsee guy
01-24-2018, 04:15 PM
I recently bought a Pono baritone solid body electric uke, BE-MG, that has a five-O pickup in it. I am highly considering adding a tone knob to it, which is a pretty straight forward mod per L R baggs tech guys. Do you think it will add to the sound or not really needed on the uke? Would you like to see a tone knob as a regular feature on their electric ukes?
Thank you in advance for your responses.

Jim Hanks
01-24-2018, 05:09 PM
Hmm, good question. Onboard control is handy but you might also consider an external preamp box - less invasive and more options. I have a chambered body Imua with just a volume knob and I can't say I've ever missed having a tone knob but I've never played live with it. I also have a true solid body electric steel string uke with volume and tone knob and I have to say it has proved useful in that application.

anthonyg
01-25-2018, 12:52 AM
The classic "tone" knob on an electric guitar is a passive treble roll off which just leaves you with the bass frequencies. Its typically used by Jazz players for that classic dark jazz sound or a distorted electric lead guitar with the treble rolled off is another classic use of the "tone" knob.

Its not really something you use for a "clean" sound. It depends on what you want it for.

Tenorsee guy
01-25-2018, 10:55 AM
The classic "tone" knob on an electric guitar is a passive treble roll off which just leaves you with the bass frequencies. Its typically used by Jazz players for that classic dark jazz sound or a distorted electric lead guitar with the treble rolled off is another classic use of the "tone" knob.

Its not really something you use for a "clean" sound. It depends on what you want it for.

I guess what led me to asking is simply listening to all the sounds that my youngest can produce out of his Les Paul. I didn't know if it was an option that other players wished they had on the solid body ukes.

Titchtheclown
01-25-2018, 06:17 PM
Cigar box nation has a fair bit in their knowledge base on piezo wiring for acoustic.
This video by Pete Howlett shows you one of the examples of how to get the amount to turn a uke into a ... well you'll see.

https://youtu.be/QvhQXdF2yow

Patrick Madsen
01-25-2018, 06:53 PM
For myself, a volume control wheel than a tone wheel. is much more effective. Great explanation from Pete Titch; thanks. P