Martin IZ owners chime in.....need string recommendations

uketanzon

Reaction score
Looking for comments from actual owners of the Martin IZ commemortive tenor and if they did any string experimentation.

IMG_1081.jpgIMG_1079.jpg

I just got back from NAMM. Perhaps the new line of Martin ukulele strings in the picture are used in the Iz model? Just a guess. I don't know.

New Martin strings? Do you have any more information on them? M600 and M620 are my go-to strings...will they still be available? You might not know, but maybe someone does...

**Note: I am looking forward to buying some Aquila sugar strings when they become available, and it is possible that those strings might become my go-to; but as for now, the Martins remain my general string of choice. I just wish they offered a low G set for tenor and concert.

Looking for comments from actual owners of the Martin IZ commemortive tenor and if they did any string experimentation.

I've had Martin, Living Water and Woth Browns on my Martin Iz. All of those strings provide pleasing sounds on it. If I had to pick one, it would probably be the Living Waters. I have Worth Browns on it now, they sound great, very warm.

New Martin strings? Do you have any more information on them? M600 and M620 are my go-to strings...will they still be available? You might not know, but maybe someone does...

**Note: I am looking forward to buying some Aquila sugar strings when they become available, and it is possible that those strings might become my go-to; but as for now, the Martins remain my general string of choice. I just wish they offered a low G set for tenor and concert.

It looks like the new Martin strings are actually made by Aquila. I’m not sure what it means exactly, but they’re described as “Graphite Gray Polygut” and will be shipping all new Martin’s made in Nazareth with them from now on.

https://www.martinguitar.com/strings/ukulele-premium/

Scooter

Thanks for the link. Funny how the strings are listed with guitar string names. Martin is such a contradiction...they do so much with ukulele, but they can’t completely package everything for the ukulele (e.g. change the string names on a string table, include ukulele on their tuning app, etc).

Polygut? Probably won’t try them. The good news...the string size of the M600 and M620 appear to be the same.

The Polyguts are both larger and smaller than the fluorocarbons, depending on the string.

If they are shipping the other strings with new ukuleles, that’s an interesting decision.

It is also interesting to read that Aquila is involved. I thought Martin made their own strings...just had a sales person at a local music store tell me they did (although I take that with a grain of salt). And I have nothing against Aquila...love the company.

I've had Martin, Living Water and Woth Browns on my Martin Iz. All of those strings provide pleasing sounds on it. If I had to pick one, it would probably be the Living Waters. I have Worth Browns on it now, they sound great, very warm.

I have a new set of Fremont Black lines on the Iz now...the BLACK color LOOks awsome on her....and HUGE Volume and sustain and projection..,,super clarity but would not call them warm....

I was strongly thinking the worth Browns are worth a go.....i like the darker colored strings on the IZ and many say they are warmer

Attachments

• IMG_2640.jpg
    IMG_2640.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Try the Worth Browns, you may like them. I like the look of darker colored strings as well. I'll keep the Fremont Black lines in mind for the next string change. I do have them on another Mahogony Uke.

The Living Waters are clear not colored, but worth a listen.

I was strongly thinking the worth Browns are worth a go.....i like the darker colored strings on the IZ and many say they are warmer

I like Browns on some instruments, they have a nice warm sound. I'd love to have an Iz, but don't care all that much for tenor size. I used Martin Fluoros on my C1K after trying several different strings, went back to Martins, Also like Martins on my old Style 0.

If the "polygut" strings are re-packaged Aquila Black Lava strings they are much thicker that M600/M620. The setup and intonaton will be affected.

Top Bottom