Lap slide Ukulele

MikeHollandGuitar

Reaction score
How about a bit of Lap Steel Ukulele!
I have upgraded my Reason software that I use to make backing tracks. Learning how use the software I made a backing track for O' Danny Boy and wanted to hear what it sounded like with the melody. I had my lap steel bar and Ukulele to hand and I thought......Why not!

That's cool. Definitely has that Hawaiian sound to it. You running it through an amp to get some effect?

Thanks for posting. This has inspired me to get out my lap steel ukulele and start practicing again. What bar are you using?

That's cool. Definitely has that Hawaiian sound to it. You running it through an amp to get some effect?

Not running it through an amp but running the miked audio through the "Reason" program. Once recorded it was compressed and equalised with reverb added. I recorded the melody previously on a keyboard with a choir like voice. The ukulele is mixed with this. I thought it sounded quite good. The "Reason" program is very good for creating backing tracks but does require a lot of work.

Thanks for posting. This has inspired me to get out my lap steel ukulele and start practicing again. What bar are you using?

The bar is made by Basil Henriques in the Uk under the name Ezzee-slide. It is very quiet to use with very little string noise!

Very cool. What in the world will ukers think of next?
The technical jargon is beyond me, but the arrangement and execution are just plain neato!

Love this Mike. My favourite song for many reasons......some sad, some glad. Thank you so very much for posting!!!

What uke, strings and tuning are you using?

Hi there. The Ukulele is an Ohana TK35G. The strings I think are aquila nylgut, they are the original strings. I have changed the G string to a low G Fremont Squeakles. The tuning is standard but with the G tuned up to A.

Thanks to keod, Nickie, pabrizzer, Camsuke and Lapyang for your kind comments.
Mike

Absolutely mesmerizing! Never thought lap steel could be played this smoothly. As a total novice, I'm wondering if my steel string UL-40 super baritone would be something that I could experiment with using a slide.

Absolutely mesmerizing! Never thought lap steel could be played this smoothly. As a total novice, I'm wondering if my steel string UL-40 super baritone would be something that I could experiment with using a slide.

It could but you would really want to raise the nut. I had a lot of trouble with the bar banging against the fretboard. If I were to do more of this I certainly would have to do that. But on the face of it.......it is very possible!
Mike

Top Bottom