Neglected Ukes

plunker

Reaction score
I have two ukuleles I consider neglected. One is the sidekick banjo lelee and the other is the Roosebeck lute a lelee. The lute more because the bowl conflicts with mu bowl and playing is uncomfortable. The baritone and the Oscar Schmidt 8 string get use from time to time. But the other two just sit there. Anyone do this?
I am endeavoring to loose weight so maybe only the sidekick will be the forgotten uke.

I either sell or give away any ukes I feel are neglected - would much rather know they were getting played elsewhere than gathering dust here. Our flat is pretty tiny though so that's a necessity as much as anything. I do keep a banjo uke that I never play because it makes a good wall hanger though!

I either sell or give away any ukes I feel are neglected - would much rather know they were getting played elsewhere than gathering dust here. Our flat is pretty tiny though so that's a necessity as much as anything. I do keep a banjo uke that I never play because it makes a good wall hanger though!

What kind of Banjo uke do you have?

Your Roosebeck lutele sounds like a very interesting instrument!

I personally believe musical instruments should be played, so what I don't play I sell or give away - but I'm minimalist about possessions to the point of weirdness I'm not the best to advise ;)

I have two very nice concert ukes that are at present going unplayed, since all I seem to want to play these days are sopranos. Once I decide if this is a permanent arrangement, they'll be re-homed, since unplayed ukes just bring me down.

My "good" ukulele is a Mainland tenor, but it has a terrible buzz now, which I think is the result of drastic humidity changes where I live. I don't have the money to get it looked at, and there probably won't be anything that can be done to fix it any way.

Now I just play my 17 inch $32 Tom ukulele or my 13 inch $5.99 ukulele.

My "good" ukulele is a Mainland tenor, but it has a terrible buzz now, which I think is the result of drastic humidity changes where I live. I don't have the money to get it looked at, and there probably won't be anything that can be done to fix it any way.

Well, you can start with a thorough humidification. Find someplace quiet, where it won't be disturbed, and lay the uke in a plastic trash bag, with multiple wet sponges in pastic baggies, and seal up the trash bag. Re-wet the sponges every few days and reseal the bag. A couple of weeks of this, and your uke should be well humidified, and that nasty buzz might be gone. Then, once humidified, keeping it in a hard case with a more conventional humidifier should maintain optimal levels. Personally, I find gig bags too leaky to maintain good humidity levels.

I have two ukuleles I consider neglected. One is the sidekick banjo lelee and the other is the Roosebeck lute a lelee. The lute more because the bowl conflicts with mu bowl and playing is uncomfortable. The baritone and the Oscar Schmidt 8 string get use from time to time. But the other two just sit there. Anyone do this?
I am endeavoring to loose weight so maybe only the sidekick will be the forgotten uke.
This is exactly why I don't go out and buy a bunch of ukuleles. Way to much rationalizing just to decide which one to play.

All of my ukes have been neglected until very recently. An unfortunate upheaval left me unable to play any of them for a few years, then I moved to a new county and they went temporarily into storage. They're all in the new house now and I'm looking forward to getting back up to speed.

One of them does tend to get overlooked now, though; I'm not entirely sure why. Several years ago a friend very generously gave me a mahogany Mele Concert. Lovely tone, but I don't know why I find it hard to warm to. Changing the tuners over to friction pegs might help, perhaps, although I'm cautious about doing it just on the off chance. Feels a bit narrow at the first fret, so that may have something to do with it. I don't know. For all its fine qualities it never quite seems to call out to me like my sopranos do.

Very sorry to learn of your Mainland's problem. I hope the way to get it fixed comes your way soon.

I have a lovely Ohana with a warped neck (not from the weather here) that just hangs around on the wall. I'm getting popular uke entertainers to autograph it. I'd like to get it fixed, but 1st my antique school clock needs work. I miss its tick-tock and bing-bong. It makes a good metronome!

Sorry, I have a sidekick tenor.

Aha! Rereading the thread after a night's sleep shows me that that was pretty obvious as well :rolleyes: I particularly like the headstock shape on those sidekicks, always nice when someone does something a bit different.

Top Bottom