Advice on Higher tension strings

plunker

Reaction score
I have played using Southcoast Ukulele LML-NW strings on my tenor uke. I have changed to D'AddarioEJ*&T looking for a warmer sound. I know the Pono MTD is pretty warm sounding to begin with. The D'Addrio strings feel to be of higher tension. Any tips on making the adjustments, or just play until l get used to it.

Did you try any other Southcoast offerings?They have lots to choose from. Dirk is always helpful if you have questions.

Warmer than low G on a tenor. Hmm, you could try tuning down the LML down a half step or two. Of corse that would lower the tension. The thicker sets start getting into wound strings so might be brighter because of that.

Could also try Worth browns which are the standard "I want warmer" answer

Warmer than low G on a tenor. Hmm, you could try tuning down the LML down a half step or two. Of corse that would lower the tension. The thicker sets start getting into wound strings so might be brighter because of that.

Could also try Worth browns which are the standard "I want warmer" answer

^^^ This. Try tuning down to Bb (F-Bb-D-G). Dirk has an article on his Southcoast strings site that explains that C is too close to the natural resonance of many tenor-sized ukes. So he advises tuning down. I have all off my tenors tuned Bb except one (Blackbird, which I tune B).

^^^ This. Try tuning down to Bb (F-Bb-D-G). Dirk has an article on his Southcoast strings site that explains that C is too close to the natural resonance of many tenor-sized ukes. So he advises tuning down. I have all off my tenors tuned Bb except one (Blackbird, which I tune B).

If I do this, does that mean all music needs to be transposed, or do I just play the chords and fingering I learn if I play by myself?

You only need to transpose if you are playing with others. If you are alone it is fine, but all chords or notes are now a step lower. Many tenors sound great tuned to Bb.

If you're playing with others, put a capo on the second fret and Bingo! Instant GCEA. No retuning or transposimg necessary. I use the same method to get ADF#B tuning on my concert and tenor ukes.

I'm asuming Bb tuning. If it's just down a semitone to B the capo,goes on 1, of course.

Last edited:
Top Bottom