Strap button suggestions for Tiny tenor

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
I recently purchased a TT. Great ukulele. I want to put a strap button on the bottom of Ukulele. Guitar strap button all look to have too long screws. The end block on the TT seems pretty small. Suggestions?

I've seen a TT with a button. But, don't know how or where it was done. I use a 3M Command hook on my TT.

20180206_000804.jpg

That would work for sure. Low impact. Can’t help but think there is a smaller button that would just screw in. Thanks for suggestion. My TT is solid top. You have all solid mahogany. I like that. Love mine but may look at second TT in either a Koa or Mahogany. I really like the shape and size of these TT. What is your nut size and depth of body. Also, can you see you end block. Is it pretty small like on the solid tops?

I got mine installed by the ukulele site where i bought it. Maybe give them a call and see if they sell the piece there?

I like the Gibson style strap buttons, they are alot smaller than many others. I've installed them on a few ukes, including sopranos, and they work and look great. I like the black ones, although they come in shiny chrome too. My pic below shows one on my Ohana tenor, the orange disc on there is a rubber Grolsch beer bottle washer (also from eBay), which acts as a strap lock, the strap never falls off. Just put on your strap, put the washer over the button too. Felt washers between the button and uke body recommended too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Gibson-Style-Guitar-Strap-Buttons-2-BLACK/361582733129?hash=item543002a749:g:9jUAAOSwLnBXUwm4

Gibson style strap buttons.JPG

Strap peg.jpg

Last edited:
I installed d'Addario elliptical end pins on mine. They work great and installation was no problem. The screw doesn't stick out of the block, but I can't think what the problem would be if it did. It couldn't scratching anything or anyone and I don't imagine it could have any impact on the sound.

Here is an borescope pic of the end Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 1.12.14 PM.jpgblock. I can't tell the thickness. Pepe Romero always answers his emails. Ask him!

And the nut width: 20180206_125552.jpg

And the body depth: 20180206_125824.jpg

If you're concerned about the tip of the screw going all the way through the end block, you could also just cut some length off of the tip of the screw. The screw will have a blunt end, but if you have a pilot hole drilled into the body first, then having a pointed tip on the end of the screw isn't really necessary.

I recently purchased a TT. Great ukulele. I want to put a strap button on the bottom of Ukulele. Guitar strap button all look to have too long screws. The end block on the TT seems pretty small. Suggestions?

Buy a packet of shorter screws of the correct gauge from your local hardware store, easy fix.:)

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I have email into Joel on the subject. HMS set up on this ukulele was great. I got a walnut fretboard and bridge upon request. My nut is same 1 3/8” but lower bout is 31/8” tapering to 2 5/8”. Seems to me I read is Baz’s review the solid tops were a bit dealer.

I like the smaller Gibson buttons. I will see what a Joel’s says but lots of options. Do most of you tie strap at headstock or install second strap button a heal of neck? TT are terrific. NUD and pics when I get a minute

Buy a packet of shorter screws of the correct gauge from your local hardware store, easy fix.:)

I was going to suggest this, but it just seemed WAY too obvious.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I have email into Joel on the subject. HMS set up on this ukulele was great. I got a walnut fretboard and bridge upon request. My nut is same 1 3/8” but lower bout is 31/8” tapering to 2 5/8”. Seems to me I read is Baz’s review the solid tops were a bit dealer.

I like the smaller Gibson buttons. I will see what a Joel’s says but lots of options. Do most of you tie strap at headstock or install second strap button a heal of neck? TT are terrific. NUD and pics when I get a minute

There's really not room to tie a strap on the head stock.

Joel at HMS confirmed all the comments above. End block is big enough. It won’t hurt to drill right thru it. Ok to put second end pin in neck if you like. Just don’t use too big a screw. And some like to tie to the headstock. Thanks all for comments. Great resource this UU community. And thanks to HMS for the great service and set up.

As my opinion, if u just want to hang the uke on the chest, it is not necessary to drill the body of ur uke.
My suggestion is, if what you have is a eight figure uke. you can use a belt, maybe a double 'D' belt is better. just thread the belt between the strings and the sound hole, and lock the belt. so it will be a perfect strap. only thing you must caution about is don't let the double 'D' lock hurt your uke's body.
this picture is when I'm trying on with a soft ruler to measure how long it will take to hang my uke, and it is about 1.2 meter.
QQ??20180208205029.jpg

Top Bottom