Kimo Ukuleles....what do younknow about them

I own a Kimo tenor with a curly koa top and flamed maple back and sides, bought it used. I have a NUD thread on this if you want to check it out. The short version is I like it so much I am having the builder, Hank Johnson, build me a super concert. I can't give a better recommendation then that. I have a Build in Progress thread on that uke as well. It is coming along nicely, I am waiting on more pictures but Hank was at NAMM so is trying to get caught up.

Feel free to ask me any questions either here or via PM

IMG_20180106_134731988.jpg2016-12-08-003-1024x577.jpg

Last edited:
Hello fellow ukulele enthusiasts, long time guitar player and finally was able to control my GAS; only to come down with UAS ! After spending countless hours of looking and searching on the web, I stumbled on Hanks website, www.kimoukulele.com - wow ! Called Hank, and what a gentleman! He was very gracious and patient, answered all my questions and explained his philosophy on the building of his ukuleles. 2 more long conversations later, thank you Hank for being such a professional, Hank is building a Koa body with side port, Tamarind neck, 1.5 in.Macassar ebony fingerboard and bridge tenor ukulele for me! He selected this beautiful set of Koa. 3BE73A86-B704-4FF2-A658-FDDCABE3D6D6.jpg
Yes, I must confess, I am absolutely a novice, more like less than a novice! I do not know and have not played a single note on any ukulele! However, I have been playing guitar for years, currently owns 30 + guitars, Martins including my vintage OO21 BRW, Gibson’s, Santa Cruz’s, Larrivees, Takamana Yamato, Madura Sakura, Foggy Mountain, Chris Barnett BRW, Morris and Webber, to name a few acoustics, than there are the arch tops and electrics ! My wife declared that I should be locked up in a GAS institution! Definitely a severe case of GAS! I think I can say I kinda should know what a fine instrument should be. Armed with his skills as a luthier, learning from his protege, master luthier John Greven, together with his great philosophy, I am esthetic to have found Hank Johnson, Kimo Ukulele, and have him built me my first ukulele ! I totally agree with DownUpDave, check out KimoUkulele and warning.....expect your UAS to act up !! :drool:

Hey Crazyguitar, nice list of high end guitars you have there. One thing in common with guitar players moving into the ukulele they understand the difference a high quality well built instrument makes in sound and playability, not to mention looks and feel. Congratulations on a beautiful piece of Koa, love it. My list of ukes reads similar to your guitars and my Kimo tenor plays and sounds as good as the stuff costing twice as much.

I know another person who is picking out woods right now, he will remain nameless unless he choices otherwise.

Aloha DownUpDave, loved your Kimo tenor. FYI, it did come up on my discussions with Hank. Your build in progress super tenor looks amazing! BTW, your recommendation for a guitar player for learning how to play ukulele. YouTube, tabs ?
Mahalo,

Aloha DownUpDave, loved your Kimo tenor. FYI, it did come up on my discussions with Hank. Your build in progress super tenor looks amazing! BTW, your recommendation for a guitar player for learning how to play ukulele. YouTube, tabs ?
Mahalo,

I sent you a Private Message (PM) so as not to derail this thread.

so three nice looking uke beauties come into the bar.....a kimo, a Kamaka and a Rick Turner
which one do you take home...???

Which has the best resale value?

Last edited:
Top Bottom