SpongeBob Uke and Fix

JT_Ukes

Reaction score
I got me one of them First act Sponge Bob Ukuleles from Toys R us...

SB_UKE.jpg

But the bridge was in the way wrong place for good intonation down the frets.

See where the bridge is on the pic from the box?

SB_BOX.jpg

All the ukes at Toys r us had there bridges way near the end. I got the one i thought was closet to where it was supposed to be.

so....

I whipped out my trusty fret calculator, figured out where the saddle should lie, which was 12.5" away from the zero fret. ( or right where the picture on the box had it.)

Grabbed a wooden clothes pin, and an exact o knife, pulled out the saddle and slid in the clothes pin at the right spot.. and adjusted till the intonation was as good as it was gonna get.

see?

SB_Bridge.jpg

So... It'll never be a great sounding uke.. but at least, it is in tune!

JT

Last edited:
That is too cool. Just gotta slap on some geared tuners and you're good to go. How does it sound?

Actually JT, there is supose to be a plastic saddle that comes with it. BUT...they seem to have fallen out in shipment. I bought one of those, and there is another guy on YTube that got one, and both ours didn't have the saddle.

He used a tooth pick and I used a match stick to replace the plastic piece. Seems to work.

Actually JT, there is supose to be a plastic saddle that comes with it. BUT...they seem to have fallen out in shipment. I bought one of those, and there is another guy on YTube that got one, and both ours didn't have the saddle.

He used a tooth pick and I used a match stick to replace the plastic piece. Seems to work.

Mine has the saddle.. but the bridge was an inch to far down the body for the intonation down the frets to be right.. yours looks to be about the same.

measuring the distance from the zero to the 12th fret dives a distance of 6.25" which means from the zero to the saddle is supposed to be 12.5"

check yours.

then Use your digital tuner and check the intonation down the fretboard. With a plastic fret board, the intonation should be right on if the string length is right. You'll see what I mean.

JT

I just sent an e-mail to First act letting them know what I found, and giving them the link to my youtube review.

Wonder if anything will come of it.

Top Bottom