Kamaka HF-1 Standard - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Baz......I love how you seem so vindicated the Kamaka calls the soprano "Standard" hence this size IS the ukulele.

I own two Kamakas, a baritone and a super concert, both very non-standard. But they are two of my favorite instruments on sound alone, build quality and playability are excellent as well.

At last! Been keenly awaiting this review since you first teased it. There's no way my ability or spare cash can justify getting a Kamaka, but it's my longer-term goal.

Baz......I love how you seem so vindicated the Kamaka calls the soprano "Standard" hence this size IS the ukulele.

I own two Kamakas, a baritone and a super concert, both very non-standard. But they are two of my favorite instruments on sound alone, build quality and playability are excellent as well.

Ha ha! True though isn't it?!

At last! Been keenly awaiting this review since you first teased it. There's no way my ability or spare cash can justify getting a Kamaka, but it's my longer-term goal.

you would NOT be disappointed. It's taken me 10 years to get to this point myself!

I joked on the FB community that I had thought the Timms had cured your UAS forever, and you did reply. That said, an interesting comparison would be your Timms to the Kamaka. I know the Timms is a Martin based custom and the Kamaka is a factory made instrument...but these two instruments seem to be the two most favorable instruments you have ever reviewed. Amazingly, even with eBay bidding, the Timms as a luthier-built instrument is still less expensive than the Kamaka.

Since you have both, would you consider making a video comparing them?

And congrats on obtaining a 100th anniversary model. If I ever see a concert 100th go on sale down the road, I might have to buy it.

Not sure all of that is correct - highest Timms I saw go on auction went for about 750 without a hard case - so if anything - the core uke was more expensive - but granted - his BIN prices were less.

The difference is kind of mentioned in the written part of the review - this isn't as loud or bright as the Timms - I kind of think with these high end sopranos that you have things like Kanile'a which are earthy and warm, Koaloha's, Martins (and Timms for that matter) - which have bark and are very bright. What I like about the Kamaka is it's inbetween them all - and perfectly balanced.

This is actually one of the three most favourable for me - it got the same score as the aNueNue Moon Bird - but it's all very marginal at this level of course. As for UAS - well, yeah, this is one more, but I dont collect them anything like I used to!

I have two Kamaka's a long neck tenor and a custom sprucetop koa 6 string made by Casey Kamaka in the late 80's.

Nice review, thanks! I saw a video once of Jake S. explaining that he plays a Kamaka because their 'ukuleles are "more responsive" than other brands, and that responsiveness enables him to play the way he does. I think it's true, but that responsiveness is a double-edged sword for me, because I have a Kamaka Tenor that also responds to my mistakes as well! :cool:

I find it to be true, as well, that the Kamaka has a unique, balanced tone. True, it doesn't "sting like a bee" like a Martin, but it certainly "floats like a butterfly." You can wring a range of expression out of them, as Steedy notes.

Oh, congratulations, Barry! I think you will continue to love this ukulele more and more as time goes on.

My ability doesn't match the Kamaka, either, but I'd rather have it and practice on it than not have it at all. I ordered mine - the anniversary edition - today.

Top Bottom