Software to change key of recordings?

besley

Reaction score
I would like to find some software that changes the key of recordings, mostly to use to bring the key of a song into line with what our jam groups would like to play. I found something called Song Surgeon that does this, and it looks amazing. But I thought I would poll the group to get any advice before shelling out the $100 or so. Any suggestions? Any shareware that does this?

Thanks!

@besley--I use a program called "Audio Pitch & Shift" for this. It is available for free from many sources online. You can use Google to find a host to download it from.

I use Amazing Slow Downer. Fantastic app. I slow down recordings of songs I’m working on. I also routinely change key as most of my tenors are tuned Bb and the recordings of songs are often in C. Best thing about it is it can be done on the fly.

Last edited:
There is a free program for PC that I have used for
a long time,called 'Best Practice'. I just add an mp3
of whatever I want to change,alter the pitch and/or
the speed,and re-save it in the 'new' mix.Works fine
and is totally free!

Audacity, hands down. Lets you change pitch independently of speed and tempo. Does a great job, and, as Choirguy pointed out, the price is right.

If I'm not mistaken, Reaper does this. It's a DAW for recording but also has this feature, as well as many others. It is a free indefinite trial with no restrictions. However, it us very well worth the purchase price when ready to do - in a year or two...

Anytune is free for iOS/Android. The desktop version is $30, but has a SUPER cool isolate feature where you can exclude all but a certain part of the mix. Works fabulously well for soloing out parts.

I use Transcribe! It's a programme optimised for transcribing music from sound files, but it costs around $30 after the trial ends so if literally the only thing you want to do is change pitch, audacity is free so probably the way to go.

Top Bottom