Attack of the Dremel!

OhioBelle

Reaction score
I was nervous, but I drilled a hole in my new Larrivee

20180211_110952.jpg

A beautiful ivoroid strap button with white leather washer from Iluak.com

20180211_111154.jpg

And a lovely new Chee Maisel strap from HMS. Now my fretting hand is free to do what a fretting hand must do, versus supporting the neck. A side benefit is the extra resonance gained from not having to grip the uke body for dear life! Me = ;)

20180211_112612.jpg

Very pretty, that white button looks great as does the black and siver strap. Did you install a button on the heel of the neck or do you tie off to the headstock?

Thanks, Dave! I hoped the pattern on the strap would compliment the etched pattern on the tuner buttons, and it does. Headstock tie-off is my method. I did purchase a second button, but I think I'll install it on the Kala tenor. Headstock ties don't bother me, and the Chee Maisel comes with a grippy black suede tie that looks nice.

What a disappointment! When I read "Dremel" I expect to see photos of some fancy shaped sound port, not just a strap button! :D

That looks great, OhioBelle! This is the first I've heard of Iluak.com. I normally get my bone pins, strap buttons, saddles, nuts, and picks from Bob Colosi. I will need to visit Iluak.

Nice job. I’m in the throws of putting a strap button on my Tiny Tenor. I’m going to visit this site looks good. Can you post picture of head stock tie for your strap. I’m thinking for TT I will att to headstock. Strap I picked is 1” wide so pretty small. TT is pretty small bi was disappointed that the leather strap end on my new strap broke away. Now I’m experimenting with a quick release and Velcro at head stock. Curious to see your ties. My Levi’s strap came with a black shoe lace which did nothing for me. Nice job. And nice ukulele

bsfloyd, thank you! I've ordered from Bob Colosi for guitar bridge pins before. Very nice vintage bone. I decided I liked the more formal look of the Iluak ivoroid for this uke.

M3Ukulele, thanks for the compliment! I understand being "in the throws." It took some thinking for me to actually do it. Now I have no regrets! Good luck finding what works for your TT!

The tie on this Chee Maisel strap is not much more than a shoelace itself. Just not as long, and made of very soft suede leather. Here's a pic, and also of the soft leather pad that feels very comfortable on the shoulder. The hardware is plastic with rounded edges, so I'm not concerned it will scratch my uke like metal hardware might.

20180211_193506.jpg

Good for you! Looks great too.

What diameter hole did you have to drill? It looks wider than the typical 1/8" hole required for most strap buttons or end-pins.

When I do mine, I use a 2mm drill in a pin vise.

I first drilled 1/32" to make a pilot hole for the tip of the 1/8" bit. The Iluak pin has an embedded screw without an exposed head,so the instructions advised a 1/8" hole, followed by the included tapping tool to pre-thread that hole. Worked like a charm!

What a disappointment! When I read "Dremel" I expect to see photos of some fancy shaped sound port, not just a strap button! :D

:biglaugh: that's what I was thinking! Also, thinking...really you're cutting a side port in a Larrivee?!?!?! :D

I first drilled 1/32" to make a pilot hole for the tip of the 1/8" bit. The Iluak pin has an embedded screw without an exposed head,so the instructions advised a 1/8" hole, followed by the included tapping tool to pre-thread that hole. Worked like a charm!

That must be a big screw! No wonder you were nervous! I use a 3/32" bit...but, yes, it's always good to follow instructions!

I got snakewoood buttons from Stew-Mac, they're nice. And, koa bridge pins from Kanile'a...:shaka:
button.jpg

Last edited:
Good job. Did Fiero watch?

Oh yes, Nickie, Fiero not only watched, but helped the whole way. You know how they are! :)

Danno, I have a couple of those Stew Mac snakewood buttons, too. Very pretty! One is installed on the Martin S1, the other is probably going on the Mainland Baritone. The snakewood was the first button I ever installed. I used a pin vise and it's slightly off center. The bit "walked" a little because I had to use too much pressure to start the hole. Barely noticeable but it bothers me. I guess there's not enough torque in my hand, LOL!

Using my big drill on the Larrivee really terrified me, so I bought the Dremel. It has infinitely variable speeds, so I could go really slow at first. And it came with a light attachment! So I had a good view of the precise spot to drill (which I measured and checked about 20 times!).

Now I'm walking around the house, wondering what else I can drill into! Probably NOT side sound ports, ha ha! :)

^^^ I know what you mean, I'm picky and very careful to center punch the exact spot and drill carefully. I know a couple people who install buttons at meetings, makes me very nervous, I don't even want to watch! :biglaugh::shaka:

Top Bottom