8 String Ukulele

horsemasterx

Reaction score
What type of strings would I need to tune an eight-string ukulele
G4,G3, C5,C4, E4,E3 A4,A3
That way there's an octave on every string.

Usually the 1st and 2nd strings (A and E) are tuned unison, the others are octaves. I'm sure there's lots of ways to do it, but you'll need a specialty set to get that high-C unless you are getting single strings somewhere.

I'm not sure how good that would sound because the E3 would be well below the resonate frequency of the tenor body--that's only one step up from the lowest string on a baritone, and that's below the resonant frequency of most baritones. You'd also need to adjust the width of the notch in your nut to accommodate the much fatter E3 & A3 strings, and maybe adjust the saddle, too.

As for what gauge strings to use, you could probably figure that out with an online string tension calculator.

- FiL

Living Water will do you a custom set. There's a link on their website where you can contact Ken Middleton. I did that for a replacement set for my 6 string and he replied very promptly. He also included a double length high C string without being asked as he said they are prone to break.

I went the other way than the OP with my 8 String and just have the G in octaves, the other three courses are all unison. Makes it easy for replacement strings as you just get standard high G and low G sets and fit them both.

Tootler's post reminded me that you can get an A3 string from a 6-string uke set.

- FiL

Living Water will do you a custom set. There's a link on their website where you can contact Ken Middleton. I did that for a replacement set for my 6 string and he replied very promptly. He also included a double length high C string without being asked as he said they are prone to break.

I went the other way than the OP with my 8 String and just have the G in octaves, the other three courses are all unison. Makes it easy for replacement strings as you just get standard high G and low G sets and fit them both.

That’s a good idea, Tootler. I have an extra Aquila set now, but I’ll remember (yeah, right!) your idea in the future. :eek:ld:

Top Bottom