Interesting idea on instructables for drum sander

I've just built a similar, simpler one for my lathe. It's not pretty but it works well. One thing I learned is that the drum needs an accurate repeatable method of mounting. The problem with jaw mounting is that every time you replace the drum it's not exactly in the same spot and runs lumpy( not good for sanding).Using a small threaded faceplate on the headstock end has fixed that.Thickness planing down to 2 mm is risky at best and once you hear the planer start to chatter the piece is toast. DAMHIK. I start with the planer and change early to the sander for the final thickness.Here's a link to a very simple sander.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QNXb7VErtQ

I used a hole cutter and cut a binch of 3/4" discs out of 3/4" particle boar, the finer kind, I just can't remember the name of it now. I then drilled it out for the 1/2" rod that went into the pillow blocks. The piece under the drum is two 3/4" laminates and it hinges on the feed side. When all the drums were on the rod, epoxy on the rod, they all were a little out of round. I put a sheet of sandpaper on the bottom plate and raised it up untill the drums were sanded all the same diameter. I have a little over one thousand's of an inch difference from the one side to the other when I dimension backs for guitars.

j7qKQf0.jpg

AT one time I used a Shopsmith with a similarly constructed drum. Let the dust fly where it would. Shopsmith is gone. I found it to be a tool that did a lot of things, none very well or gracefully.

I have a cover for it and a 1 hp dust collector. I used to have a home vacuum and a small cyclone when I first started with the drum sander. Not very sophisticated but I can't imagine working without it and I doubt I will be replacing it for a while. I plan on making a small one to dimension binding to purfling.

Top Bottom