Want to buy high quality, steel string baritone ukulele, like John Mann's

TheNoseeums

Reaction score
Im looking here because I havent found anything..

No, I dont want a pono.

Yes, ive looked at john manns, these are the perfect example of what im looking for, but he has none in stock, and its a loong waiting list.

Theres a company overseas called higuitarsUK, they dont have any in stock for me..

But im currently desperate for one, so if anyone comes across one, has one in stock please let me know.

Me too, but I cannot find one. Not sure that anyone (other than Jonathan Mann or another custom builder) makes one. Hadn't heard of HiGuitars before.

I've considered replacing the nut and bridge on an Epiphone Express (22" scale, 1.69" nut) and just putting four strings on it. The new nut and bridge would allow spacing the strings further apart. You could shorten the headstock--or not.

A similar idea would be to start with an LTD EC-JR electric guitar (20.5" scale, 1.653" nut) and do the same thing. They are not made anymore, but are available used from time to time. A wilder look (and decidedly non-ukulele in appearance) would be the LTD F-JR.

It wouldn't be ideal to keep the existing pickups, but pickups for baritone ukulele string spacing would also be difficult to find.

Me too, but I cannot find one. Not sure that anyone (other than Jonathan Mann or another custom builder) makes one. Hadn't heard of HiGuitars before.

I've considered replacing the nut and bridge on an Epiphone Express (22" scale, 1.69" nut) and just putting four strings on it. The new nut and bridge would allow spacing the strings further apart. You could shorten the headstock--or not.

A similar idea would be to start with an LTD EC-JR electric guitar (20.5" scale, 1.653" nut) and do the same thing. They are not made anymore, but are available used from time to time. A wilder look (and decidedly non-ukulele in appearance) would be the LTD F-JR.

It wouldn't be ideal to keep the existing pickups, but pickups for baritone ukulele string spacing would also be difficult to find.
I had an old Arthur Godfrey baritone that was toast, except for the neck, and had someone build me an electric solid body using it. It wasn't too expensive and is a blast to play. Just a single magnetic pu, they are pretty common and spacing doesn't matter. or make your own ?
https://ourpastimes.com/how-to-make-a-lipstick-guitar-pickup-construction-12590604.html

Last edited:
That's true, Stumsilly, a lipstick humbucker or a blade humbucker would negate string spacing concerns.

Top Bottom