Banjo uke dampening the sound.

DPO

Reaction score
Bsfloyd made mention in another thread about the use of a product called Moongel damper pads used on drums to alter or tone down the sound. I thought that this might work well on banjonuke heads to replace the rolled up sock under under the rim rod. So I invested 20 dollars and it arrived today. I am impressed, only had time for a quick play around, but definitely works. Stuck one under the head at 12 o'clock and the sound was muted, then another at 3.00 and one at nine. Really does quieten the sound. Lots more experimenting needed. But at 20 bucks for a pack of six pieces it's a cheap fix.

Very good to hear this has worked for you, Dennis! I thought this would work similar to acoustic drums. Funny thing about the rolled up sock - before I started using gels, I used to use a folded up wash cloth and place it half on and half off the drum head (snare drum). I used this for a long time and it worked wonders before I started using gels. Sometimes for a quick and dirty fix I still use a folded up wash cloth, when I don't have any gels handy. Heck, Ringo Star use to use tea towels layed over his drum heads for some of the Beatles most famous recordings ;)

The only negative thing about the Moongels is that the blue colored ones can leave stain residue behind. They now offer them in clear as well as blue if that is a concern to some players.

Very good to hear this has worked for you, Dennis! I thought this would work similar to acoustic drums. Funny thing about the rolled up sock - before I started using gels, I used to use a folded up wash cloth and place it half on and half off the drum head (snare drum). I used this for a long time and it worked wonders before I started using gels. Sometimes for a quick and dirty fix I still use a folded up wash cloth, when I don't have any gels handy. Heck, Ringo Star use to use tea towels layed over his drum heads for some of the Beatles most famous recordings ;)

The only negative thing about the Moongels is that the blue colored ones can leave stain residue behind. They now offer them in clear as well as blue if that is a concern to some players.

I never thought about stain, I just went with the clear as it would be less obvious. Actually you would not even know they where on unless you happened to look at the underside. Thanks for the tip, I suspect it is going to be a winner.

Top Bottom