What kind of strings did Ohta-san use?

Xochi

Reaction score
What kind of strings does Ohta-san use?

In my ukulele journey so far, Ohta-san stands out tonally. I do like the sweet, beautiful, chiming, ringing sustain of so many modern uke stars. But Ohta-san is very, very different. His plain, humble, plonky notes are just the best thing I've ever heard. I've gone to sleep every night for the past month listening to one of the three albums of his available on Spotify. He appears to have been playing a low-G Martin soprano in the YT videos I've seen. What kind of strings did he use? How did he get that unusual sound? Is it that monstrous thumbnail? I've never heard anyone else sound like that.

Last edited:
IDK.
But I used Ohta-san to justify putting a wound low-G on my Style 3.
Confession: I cannot play like Ohta-san even with the low-G.

I’m gonna go with ukulele strings…

Scooter

I feel like ohta sans tone has a lot to do with how he seems to use mostly thumbnail for everything, up down picks, strums, etc, all with that wizard nail

i saw a vid once where he dragged the index wizard across the fret board and he was smiling, it was like the rattling of bones.

I love ohta San!

In a recent Ukulele Underground podcast, someone asked Aldrine what he thinks is the reason for Ohta-San's unique sound. Aldrine says "lots of practice". There you go.
His son said when his dad was asked asked about a great performance he gave in Tokyo , Ohta-san credited lots of sake .

Maybe he played ghs-h10 strings .

In a recent Ukulele Underground podcast, someone asked Aldrine what he thinks is the reason for Ohta-San's unique sound. Aldrine says "lots of practice". There you go.
Yes, no doubt. Most people could pick up the same instrument and not get the same sound or result. At the same time, he could probably pick up other instruments and still sound like himself.

That was me 😂 I agree with him but there is a reason why people learn techniques. If one watches his videos he used a mix of fleshy part of his thumb and his nail and the same for his index finger. I also think he spent a lot of time getting his pickup, string, and action to what he likes. Years of practice without some definitive skills to chase will be unproductive.

His son said when his dad was asked asked about a great performance he gave in Tokyo , Ohta-san credited lots of sake .

Maybe he played ghs-h10 strings .
I think that sake-induced performance was a one-time thing and Herb Jr says there is a recording (as in a vinyl record) that was released in Japan, but is impossible to find in the USA.

I think that sake-induced performance was a one-time thing and Herb Jr says there is a recording (as in a vinyl record) that was released in Japan, but is impossible to find in the USA.
Does anyone know which vinyl? I have a collection of Ohta San vinyls and I wonder if I have them.

I totally agree with the argument that the player/Master (like here Herb Ohta-San) sounds like himself on whatever instrument (as long as it is playable).
A Master of course spent lots of life time to practise/play and gain the skills.
At the same time the question in the beginning of the threat was how one can get a little closer to the "typical" instrument sound of Ohta-San. Which strings he used?
We do not know. On the most pictures/in the most Videos it looks like Black nylon indeed.
Fremont black line strings may be a good modern try.
A good player uke of course is an important thing.
He played a Kamaka (slightly longer scale) Concert Ukulele for a while which is expensive to buy.
On the Martin Style 3 or other sopranos he definately sounds great too and a bit more snappy and bity.
I stumbled over the youtube channel of "Millar" ukuleles and there is a Player demoing some of the soprano/longneck sopranos who really has the Ohta-San style down. Very inspiring.
Plus those Millars here sound pretty close (next to the Player playing them) to what one can hear on some of Ohta-San's Albums.

Of course it is cool trying to copy one (it may be nessessary at some point for learning) but finding the own voice is the the main goal at some point I think.
However.
Kind regards

Last edited:
Top Bottom