HPL now a sustainable wood?

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Had to laugh at this video. At 9:40, they have a commercial on the Martin bamboo ukes, where they show the various colored Martin HPL/with bamboo pattern ukes, and say they are made of bamboo, a sustainable wood. :rolleyes: Surprisingly uninformed, unless they were joking?

Even more painful, earlier in the video at 5:25, they have an ad inserted for Magic Fluke ukes. Big selling point is they are "cheap". Then later in the video at 9:05 , he lists the various types of ukes they stock, and starts the list by calling the MF products "the lowly Fleas and Flukes". Geez, I hope MF didn't pay this guy!

Last edited:
It's on the internet, it has to be true..... bonjour (I really am a French model).

The funny thing is that this shop is near me, and is currently one of three shops that carries high end ukuleles—but is the only shop that actually seems to care about ukuleles. It is a guitar shop in St. Paul, and in addition to Martin, they are the only local dealer of Kamaka and Magic Fluke. It isn’t a music store selling $50 ukuleles—it is a guitar store that carries ukuleles with care. And the owner is a collector of Macaferri ukuleles (all over the walls). I have only been there once...but I know that Ukester Brown goes there and has a Kamaka soprano from there, and he thinks highly of the shop and owner. Ukester Brown’s opinions are “bankable” in my opinion.

So...I’m tempted to cut him some slack from this video 4 years ago. We all misspeak on video, the choice of “wood” versus “material” isn’t the greatest sin that has ever happened.

And compared to the Martins and Kamakas they carry, a $200 flea or fluke is on the entry level for this store.

I guess you can choose to be offended—but my suggestion would be to not dwell on it and to never watch that video again and instead go play more ukulele.

No, I wasn't offended, just surprised they, being obviously knowledgeable on ukes, got it so wrong on the Martin bamboo series, which are High Pressure Laminate with a bamboo pattern only, and seemed to diss Magic Fluke, IMO.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or does he seem to be handling those vintage ukes a bit roughly in the video?

I cringed every time those old Martins knocked against each other.

A seller like this is one I would likely avoid if that is their standard handling procedure.

I guess you can choose to be offended—but my suggestion would be to not dwell on it and to never watch that video again and instead go play more ukulele.

:shaka: For sure, not offended, but he uses some different terminology...

Cuatro is not Portugese, it's brazilian, the Machete is the original Portugese instrument. Also, he uses style O instead of the correct style 0, tension tuners for peg tuners, it is funny the girl seems to think the Bamboo HPLs are really made of bamboo. I think he's handling the instruments ok, the noise is because the mic' is turned up or attached to the table. Love the Style 3!!! :shaka:

I agree, having a shop like that nearby, carrying such cool brands, and enthused about ukes, is wonderful. We need more of those!

When I was in Minnesota this fall, it seemed like the only music store that possibly had ukes was Groth, which is where my folks got us kids our band instruments (and had them repaired). It seemed unlikely to have anything I was interested in. Glad to know there's a place like this in St. Paul, I'll check it out this year.

Watch this for the first time. Glad he gave a plug to the Walsh and King Book. I consult it regularly. I'd like to see the value of the 2 and 3s go up to his level, it would put my retirement fund in the black. I will list a 50s 3M sometime this year. It need a new bridge. The current one works but needs a visible bead to hold the A string others need a special knot. It is like having a nice smile with a missing tooth. I'll be playing either of 2 Style 1Ms while attending the Palm Springs Festival. See 2 Very Vintage Martins in the UU Marketplace.

Top Bottom