PDA

View Full Version : Jake Shimabukuro Ukulele Strap

experimentjon
02-18-2018, 08:16 PM
Not sure if this has been around for a while, but I was excited to see that Jake had officially released an official version of the famous custom strap that he's used on his instruments for years. At $60, it seems a bit expensive for a nylon strap, but still very cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIvvV_nzLYQ

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2352/8193/products/JS_-_UKE_STRAP_1024x1024@2x.png

https://jakeshimabukuro.colortestmerch.com/collections/accessories/products/custom-ukulele-strap-japan-import

Joe King
02-18-2018, 11:49 PM
That looks really nice.

One thing that concerns me is that there seems to be no padding on the inside of the hook nor on the metal plate, and I would worry that it would scratch the finish.

For that price, the lack of such seems like a glaring oversight to me.

I wonder how you could affix something to compensate...

Croaky Keith
02-19-2018, 12:45 AM
Much as I admire Jake's talent, there's no way I'd use a strap like that. ;)

Joe King
02-19-2018, 02:22 AM
Much as I admire Jake's talent, there's no way I'd use a strap like that. ;)

Please share - why not?

Ukulelerick9255
02-19-2018, 01:18 PM
I won’t use a strap like that either....I only use a guitar style strap so I can let go of the uke and know it’s not going anywhere.

Bill1
02-19-2018, 02:08 PM
I think that if you perform for an audience you should ask yourself why Jake uses this type of strap. There are plenty of other straps that he could have chosen to use, straps without the dreaded metal tag in the sound hole.
A few posts down it says he spoke about using a strap because he had a sore shoulder, but that does not explain why he chose this particular strap. A lot of people sensibly use a strap if they have a sore shoulder or a problem with their hands.
Apart from the benefits of freeing his arms, I think it sets him apart from the guitar players, when he does his rock moves around the stage the ukulele looks like it is floating and Jakes arms are not tied up in the fat strap thing, unlike the guitars which are connected to the players by fat visible straps that look like the cargo slings you see in docks. Does this type of strap help move away from your ukulele looking like a little guitar on stage? Does it matter if when you perform the audience sees a little guitar player or a ukulele player?

Milehighuke
02-19-2018, 02:19 PM
For $60, they could've made it leather or given it a cool design or something. And who want Jakes initials embossed on your uke strap? "JS" means nothing to the average person, just looks like you stole it or bought someone else's used strap.

Look for these to be on clearance soon.

Jerryc41
02-21-2018, 08:07 AM
I think that if you perform for an audience you should ask yourself why Jake uses this type of strap.

He spoke about the strap at a concert in MA. He said he was getting pain in his left shoulder, and that simple strap seemed like a good solution. No more pain.

I don't like straps that hook into the sound hole, and as others have pointed out, there's no padding inside that piece that rests on the top of the uke.

buddhuu
02-21-2018, 11:08 AM
Wouldn't work for me. I tried a hook style strap years ago and it noticeably deadened the resonance of the top of my uke. Don't like the look of this one either.

On the other hand, if it made me play like Jake I'd be happy to try one. Sadly it'd take more than a magic strap to achieve that...