PDA

View Full Version : What did you do to your Uke today?

UkerDanno
02-19-2018, 09:44 AM
I cleaned and restrung my Kanile'a with Living Water high G strings. When I re-string, I always remove all the strings and give the whole instrument a wipe down with lemon oil, especially the fretboard. Wiping the excess off immediately from satin type finishes because it's probably not real good to let it soak in too much.

Croaky Keith
02-19-2018, 09:45 AM
I just played a couple of tunes on mine. ;)

PTOEguy
02-19-2018, 09:49 AM
I called Gold Tone and they walked me through and adjustment that got rid of the buzz in my resouke - and now it is brighter and louder as well.

UkerDanno
02-19-2018, 09:50 AM
Cleaned and restrung my Kala Exotic Mahogany UBass with new Road Toad Pahoehoes! These things are a pain to change out and stretch a LOT! I'll let them stretch for a few days, then loosen and take out a lot of the extra string length. Also gave it a good wipe down with lemon oil.

See my thread in the bass section covering restring with Pahoehoes
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?126078-re-stringing-with-Road-Toad-Pahoehoes

RafterGirl
02-19-2018, 09:55 AM
Snowing all day today & I'm not at work....so.....lots of time to sit and play. I haven't played my Islander AS-4 soprano a lot recently. Too busy playing my Loprinzi and my Gary Gill that I got at Christmas time. I got "Turtle" out and played him all morning. I had forgotten how nice this soprano sounds. Turtle got lots of love & attention today.

bratsche
02-19-2018, 10:07 AM
I wonder if anyone else is as lazy about changing strings as I am. I wait until they break or shred. Hate to waste time that I could spend playing. Been about a year for me. LOL

bratsche

OhioBelle
02-19-2018, 02:43 PM
It was almost 70 degrees here today! What??? Should be snowing this time of year, but I'll take it! In honor of this brief February summer, I played my Ukulele Like Object (ULO), because it has a fish painted on it.

Fish = summer.

Noticed the fretboard was dry dry dry. So I lemon-oiled it.

That's what I did. :)

actadh
02-19-2018, 03:01 PM
72 degrees here, after flooding on Friday and snow on Saturday. Sat outside and played my OXK.

kohanmike
02-19-2018, 08:29 PM
This isn't exactly what I did to my uke, but I used it today to test a small cart that has a chair attached, which I'll be using on Sundays for a Meetup of acoustic players in park. I was putting on my back a dual compartment gig bag with uke in one, a tablet and stand stand in the other, and carrying a small folding chair, but I have a heart condition and I found it a little difficult to lug that weight on me, so I got the cart. The seat is small but more comfortable than I thought it would be.

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Chair cart front 600.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://.www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos)

Jarmo_S
02-19-2018, 09:27 PM
I wonder if anyone else is as lazy about changing strings as I am. I wait until they break or shred. Hate to waste time that I could spend playing. Been about a year for me. LOL

bratsche

I'm with you in that. While I don't have such a long experience with ukulele, with nylon strings in guitar I have never changed until one breaks or a serious shread on a wound string.
After I bought my ukulele, did change after about a month, cause did not like the idea of someone elses fingers been on my strings and anyways after a store bought instrument.

I did file the nut slots somewhat lower without taking the strings off/change them, but don't seem to have done any noticeable damage to my Aquilaa nylguts.

I'd estimate without something crazy like bending guitar like, using (metal) picks, unwound strings surely will last a year easy.

EDIT:
I did practice chord sequences in many keys today just before posting this.

Joe King
02-20-2018, 02:05 AM
...to test a small cart that has a chair attached..

That looks really helpful. Can you share a link to the source? Thank you.

kitsunegarcia
02-20-2018, 02:05 AM

bratsche

I don't wait until they break, but until the instrument starts getting weird about sound or tuning which seems to be almost until they break or have a visible deformity. If i have to tune too frequently or the sound keeps being off, that sucker is getting new strings. I actually dislike putting new on because then i will def have to be bothered to tune and re-tune; and stretch strings for a week or more depending on which uke it is.

Lapyang
02-20-2018, 04:41 PM
Yesterday, I changed the awful sounding Factory strings on my Pono PC Concert to Oasis bright low G. It sounded great. It gave new life to this misunderstood Concert of mine. Today I haven't even picked up any Uke yet. I'd better stop typing and go play now.

valde002
02-21-2018, 02:36 AM
I picked up my daily player at bedside, and worked on ear-training from a Disney song playing on Alexa, lol.

Croaky Keith
02-21-2018, 03:40 AM
Today, I hadn't done anything, so whilst reading this thread, decided to grab one at random & play a couple of tunes. :)

(I had been practicing my chromatic harmonicas though. ;) )

BigJackBrass
02-21-2018, 09:44 AM
Not much playing today, but took the plunge and removed the guitar-style tuners from my Mele concert, replacing them with Gotoh UPTs. A wonderful improvement, although annoyingly there's now a buzz on the C string. Ah well, fixing that will have to wait for another night.

106884 106885

Also removed the awful headstock logo. Looks much better.

Darylmesa
02-21-2018, 10:22 AM
Restrung 3 ukuleles. Tenor uke with Living Waters custom dGBE strings, concert uke with Living Waters and a soprano with Martin fluorocarbon strings
Then played the hell out of them...loving the baritone sound coming out of tenor 😃

Croaky Keith
02-21-2018, 11:23 PM
...loving the baritone sound coming out of tenor

Likewise - gives it a whole new life. :)

Tootler
02-21-2018, 11:47 PM

bratsche

When I get a new uke, I often change the strings fairly quickly because I prefer fluorocarbon strings to the Nylgut or similar that normally come as standard.

After that, I will leave them until they really need changing. I've only once had a string break and that was on a soprano I kept tuning between C and D tuning. I retuned it up once to often. Otherwise I periodically feel along under the strings to see if they're getting rough. When it becomes bad, that's time to change them.

UkerDanno
02-22-2018, 06:31 AM
Put Aquila GCEA strings on this old baritone I got a few weeks ago for $20. Also, a Daddario classic wound low G string as recommended by Southern Ukulele store. Sounds big and boomy! I also ordered some Grover geared tuners, but the headstock is 1/2" thick, so they wouldn't work. I had a takeoff set from a Dolphin that had a longer shaft, so I used them, they're not the best, but they work, not sure whether to put much money into this thing since it's not really my thing, I don't even like tenor size! I would sell it, I have about $50 into it.

Spicysteve
02-22-2018, 09:24 AM
Put a D'Addario CinchFit Acoustic Jack Lock on my Oscar Schmidt late last evening, gave it a tune and practiced some chords.
Must say I am quite happy with the CinchFit.

TobyDog
02-23-2018, 11:57 AM
Got a new concert Flea on Wednesday, today I put a low g Aguila string on it. I was worried about how it would fit, but no problem at all. I've downloaded several tab pieces for low g from several sites. The low g sounds really nice. (not that I'd ever want to give up my high g)

UkerDanno
02-23-2018, 12:58 PM
Got a new concert Flea on Wednesday, today I put a low g Aguila string on it. I was worried about how it would fit, but no problem at all. I've downloaded several tab pieces for low g from several sites. The low g sounds really nice. (not that I'd ever want to give up my high g)

I know, it works on some songs, but I guess I prefer to play songs that sound good in high G, like islandy songs and old time tin pan alley type stuff. :shaka:

UkerDanno
02-23-2018, 12:59 PM
Put a D'Addario CinchFit Acoustic Jack Lock

What the heck is that?!?!?!

Spicysteve
02-23-2018, 06:05 PM
It is a device to enable strap fitment on an acoustic endpin jack such as a MISI, LR Baggs or K&K pickup.
Has small pads on it that let it swivel quite easily on the endpin jack without marring the finish on your uke.
Attached to your strap in a similar fashion as a cord that attaches a strap on the headstock.

UkerDanno
02-24-2018, 03:32 AM
Clever...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-planet-waves-cinchfit-acoustic-jack-lock/j49951000000000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItZCVgeK-2QIVSZR-Ch2PkQACEAQYBCABEgIx6fD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid^221957295803-device^c-plaid^323968368423-sku^J49951000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

But, I just cut the hole in the end of the strap a little bigger...:shaka:

stevepetergal
02-24-2018, 05:14 AM

I taught it a lesson.

kohanmike
02-24-2018, 05:34 AM
I taught it a lesson.

That's why spanking is not affective, does more damage than good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://.www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos)

Ukecaster
02-24-2018, 05:46 AM

I taught it a lesson.

You crack me up! Was it an El Kabong? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=010aaw1Ajo0

etudes
02-24-2018, 08:34 AM
I bought a Sarah Maisel strap which I'm breaking in, it's a cool strap and adds a little pizazz to my setup.

Croaky Keith
02-24-2018, 09:01 AM

I taught it a lesson.

I think the sound hole goes on the other side.......

Rllink
02-24-2018, 10:02 AM
I went to a friend's house for a BBQ. Her brother plays the guitar, and we had a battle, guitar vs ukulele. We played a bunch of songs and each gave it our all. It was great fun.

UkerDanno
02-24-2018, 01:05 PM
After 5 days of stretching, I unwound and rewound the new strings on my UBass and cut off the extra...
probably cut off more in a couple weeks, especially the D and G strings...

OhioBelle
02-24-2018, 02:24 PM
After 5 days of stretching, I unwound and rewound the new strings on my UBass and cut off the extra...
probably cut off more in a couple weeks, especially the D and G strings...

They look like they're made of licorice ;)

UkerDanno
03-22-2018, 08:43 AM
Unwound and rewound the strings again and should be the last time, at least for a while, they are no longer winding back on themselves! Also, filed the sharp fret ends...:shaka:

UkerDanno
04-08-2018, 05:42 PM
Changed strings on the new 8-string today. Not looking forward to that again! For one thing, there's twice the number of strings as on a regular ukulele. For another thing, it has a slotted headstock, maybe it's just something different that I'm not used to, but it's a pain. Luckily, it has a string-through bridge, which is probably easier than a tie bridge. There was a little bead on the end of the strings with a knot, not too hard, but, of course I dropped one of the beads...nowhere to be found, I swept the whole dining, kitchen, hall, entry area, not a trace of that rascally little bead. So, I tied the 2, 4th strings to one bead, I'll probably find it somewhere, someday. Then 3 of the strings slipped on the tuner post. I've changed dozens of sets of strings and always just pulled the string tight, then back 2 frets and wound them on, no problem, until today! But, I got them to work finally. While the strings were off, I cleaned the fretboard on a brand new ukulele with some lemon oil, I used 2 paper towels and they were black! I couldn't believe how dirty it was!!! I guess expert setup doesn't include cleaning off the fretboard.

Anyway, the uke came with Worth browns paired, except for there was a wound low G on it. I wanted all paired like the traditional Taropatch, so I put 2 sets of Living Water High G on it, so far, it sounds amazing! :shaka:

Ukulammy
04-09-2018, 03:17 PM
I played my greatest hits from a Mike Lynch book. I’m pleased to hear progress in both tabs and playing all over the fret board.

Jerryc41
04-10-2018, 05:52 AM
I called Gold Tone and they walked me through and adjustment that got rid of the buzz in my resouke - and now it is brighter and louder as well.

I have one of them. What was involved in the process? I haven't noticed any buzzing, but it would be good to know.

unrealdark
04-10-2018, 09:23 AM
I put new strings on my Loprinzi Koa Tenor Model D (Living Water, first time for me) and what a wonderful sound now. So sweet/warm sound. Very well compensated strings!
My spruce concert is now singing too. I didnt play it cause it was so bright that it hurt my ears.
Thank you Ken for my replacement! Great customer service!

maki66
04-10-2018, 11:35 AM
I'm finally beginning to sound decent playing clawhammer ukulele.
I've been going at 'Cluck Old Hen' all day from Aaron Keim's Clawhammer Ukulele book.
Driving my poor wife nuts in the process!

Michael70
04-10-2018, 02:06 PM
Played some chords and trying to learn a seamless chord progression without sounding like a drunkard trying to play for the first time....LOL

UkerDanno
04-10-2018, 02:09 PM
Played some chords and trying to learn a seamless chord progression without sounding like a drunkard trying to play for the first time....LOL

C Am F G7...it's used in a lot of songs, like 26 Miles, available on scorpexuke dot com...:shaka:

Croaky Keith
04-10-2018, 11:22 PM
My ukes sit in foldable plastic crates in their gig bags - I re-arranged them, so that I can get at my solids easier, & moved my two cheap solid body electrics over the other side of the room, where my baris live. ;)

(Hoping this will entice me to play them more often, as I seem to have lost my mojo just lately. :( )

good_uke_boy
04-11-2018, 05:15 AM
Recorded and posted my first video on the Seasons. Yikes.

Croaky Keith
04-11-2018, 05:35 AM
Congrats! :)

UkerDanno
04-22-2018, 01:30 PM
Got that Living Water Low G set put on my Kala Cedar top, so far, so good. Sounds kind of boomy, but I guess that's low G...:shaka:

Bill Sheehan
04-23-2018, 05:12 AM
Switched out the tuning machines on my Kala soprano-size spruce top travel uke. I really like this little guy, with its thinline body and sweet (yet plenty loud) voice, but always felt it was a little top-heavy with the original enclosed geared tuners. I went with a set of cream-colored open-geared Grovers, and the uke feels lighter and more balanced now. I find that it sings best when tuned a half step up from "standard", and that the "feel" of the string tension is really nice at that level too.

spongeuke
04-23-2018, 05:50 AM
Seeing this post inspired me to ditch the Nyltechs and on my WWII Martin Concert to install Ko'olua Golds. Then I decided I need to refinish the sound board as there is serious strum wear. One thing leads to another.

Bill Sheehan
04-23-2018, 07:29 AM
Sounds like you freshened it up nicely, Sponge!

Nickie
04-23-2018, 07:44 AM

I taught it a lesson.

:wtf: happened?

Ukecaster
04-23-2018, 03:16 PM
Installed Gotoh UPT tuners on a cedar/rosewood Ohana TK-50G tenor uke, to replace the stock geared ones. Ferrules on the front dropped right in, but I needed to ream the back openings about 1 mm more. Look Ma...no ears!

Bill Sheehan
04-23-2018, 03:23 PM
Sweet !! Nice work !!

Ukecaster
04-23-2018, 03:30 PM
Sweet !! Nice work !!

With the angle, you can't see the 8 tiny screw holes from the old geared tuners. Thought of filling them, but who looks back there? :D

tomthebaptist
04-23-2018, 06:05 PM
I put a Low G string on my Koaloha KSM-00 Soprano and tuned it up to A-D-F#-B.

TC

Bill Sheehan
04-24-2018, 03:00 PM
I like that tuning for a soprano too, Tom. Gives things a nice chime!

Bill Sheehan
04-24-2018, 03:03 PM
With the angle, you can't see the 8 tiny screw holes from the old geared tuners. Thought of filling them, but who looks back there? :D

I agree, Ukecaster! With my level of craftsman skills (lame, that is), sometimes the "filled" holes are more noticeable than if I'd just let 'em be !!

Snargle
04-24-2018, 03:40 PM
I just installed a single strap pin in my new Ohana Super Soprano (SK-250M). Of course, there was the usual holding my breath as the drill bit started boring into the wood, but this is about the 4th or 5th time I've installed one, so I think I have the technique pretty well figured out. :cool:

Ukecaster
04-24-2018, 04:52 PM
I just installed a single strap pin in my new Ohana Super Soprano (SK-250M). Of course, there was the usual holding my breath as the drill bit started boring into the wood, but this is about the 4th or 5th time I've installed one, so I think I have the technique pretty well figured out. :cool:

The last couple of strap pins, I've done by hand, using a small jewelers screwdriver. I just poke a tiny hole, then keep pushing/turning it to the depth I want. It becomes, in effect a manual drill bit, and works just fine, removing the power-tool-near-the-nice-uke agita.

RafterGirl
04-24-2018, 04:53 PM
I bought my ukes a baby brother......the USPS stork should deliver him any day now.

captain-janeway
04-24-2018, 07:07 PM
Bought a cheap used soprano from someone on letgo. Just want to see if it might fit better. My first uke was a beautiful tenor that's just too big for my teeny hands. Maybe just something for practice. I got a concert and am getting a little better at chord transitioning and I noticed trying the tenor after ending time on the concert made me a little better on tenor. I'll go down one more size and see what happens. Don't know if this is a good way to learn but I figured what the heck

Croaky Keith
04-24-2018, 10:23 PM
I found out, having bought a tenor, then a soprano, & finally a concert, (in quick succession, I might add), that I spent my real learning time on concert scale, a lot of which was actually on a long neck soprano. :D

I now have a preference for long neck concerts, (tenor scale concert bodies). :)

tomthebaptist
04-25-2018, 02:55 AM
I found out, having bought a tenor, then a soprano, & finally a concert, (in quick succession, I might add), that I spent my real learning time on concert scale, a lot of which was actually on a long neck soprano. :D

I now have a preference for long neck concerts, (tenor scale concert bodies). :)

Same with me, Croaky Keith. I prefer a concert body with a tenor scale, too. My Tiny Tenor is my favorite, the one I go to first. I purchased a Kamoa concert with tenor scale several years ago from Ukerepublic for my son. I liked that one a lot, too.

Tom

Jerryc41
04-25-2018, 06:03 AM
Looks great!

UkerDanno
05-03-2018, 08:53 AM
New String day for my Islander! I always take all the strings off and clean the fretboard with some lemon oil, also wipe down the body with a light coat and wipe it off on my satin finishes. (only have 1 gloss)

As I was starting to re-string, I noticed the tuners were kind of loose and remembered I had a new set of Grovers I ordered for something else so, figured why not change them out. They were a direct bolt-on, the stock ones were probably an unmarked Grover anyway.

The old strings were a used set of Living Water off of my Kanile'a that I put on just to see how they sounded, then I put on a wound low G, just to see how that sounded. Today, I put on a new set of high G Living Water.

These Islander laminates, which sell for about $160, IMHO are a great choice in that price range. I also had a MC-4, which I sold to a friend.

Also, string changes are a dream with bridge pins!!! I've changed several sets for myself and for a couple friends lately with tie bridges and they are just a royal pain!

108785 108786 108787 108789

old tuners...

WaylonUkulele
05-04-2018, 03:02 AM
Brought it to work as usual. It's sitting in the corner of my office waiting for me to play it on my lunch hour, in the park. It keeps me going. This weekend, I plan to restring one ukulele. Then the next weekend, the other. I have to spread them out by weekends, because I have a gig and can't have both ukes with strings stretching and going out of tune. It's May. It's been over a year. (which is a long time for me). Then they'll be good for the summer. I try to do twice a year. Some might think overkill or underkill. But it works for me.

UkerDanno
11-23-2018, 04:42 PM
Unwound and rewound the strings on my Ubass for the 3rd and hopefully last time! It's been about 9 mos. and I think they might be settling in...:D

No more winds upon winds! Tunes and holds tune a lot better.