Ukulele..."an" or "a"

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I've seen many posts containing "an ukulele".

Even though "an ukulele" is the proper grammar, I've never heard anyone actually say that while speaking, like someone asking you "Do you have an ukulele?". Wazzup with that?

Ok, enough of that, I gotta go grab an uke now, and study my Circle of 4ths ;)

I'm going to throw this out there from college linguistics, which was a long time ago. I believe it is not based on whether the first letter is a vowel or not, but how it is pronounced. In the case of unicorn, it is a unicorn, not an unicorn. So if you pronounce it you-ka-lele, it would be a you-ka-lele. If you pronounce it oo-ka-lele, it would be an oo-ka-lele. Don't hold me to this, I'm going way back in my knowledge of this sort of trivia.

Last edited:
It's "ook" versus "yook" all over again. I imagine Rllink is correct: those who are from the "ook" school will be prone to use use "an," while those from the "yook" school will prefer using "a."

I'm going to throw this out there from college linguistics, which was a long time ago. I believe it is not based on whether the first letter is a vowel or not, but how it is pronounced. In the case of unicorn, it is a unicorn, not an unicorn. So if you pronounce it you-ka-lele, it would be a you-ka-lele. If you pronounce it oo-ka-lele, it would be an oo-ka-lele. Don't hold me to this, I'm going way back in my knowledge of this sort of trivia.

I'll hold you to this. 100% correct!

I think this is right as well. So let's go with 'an ukulele'!

Yep, it should be ukes...... ;)

However, if you pronounce it yookalaylee, it's a.........but if you pronounce it ookooleylee it's an........but it doesn't stop there....because when you write it, you either write it ukulele or 'ukulele, the first uses an a, but the second form should correctly use an an........ :D

Really you should pronounce it with a wovel, so it is then an.
But I know maybe hard for english people, so use a, if you really must lol.

Myself I'm lucky being a finn that hawaiian sounds almost the same as my finnish. Also all words are easy to pronounce, both languages being such open ones. Share also many same words, all meaning different things though.

Of course this question has only meaning to me if I speak english.

I pronounce mine "little guitars".... Ok, just joking here (ducking from the flying debris, lol).

It's not "a" or "an" ukulele, it's "da" ukulele. Or, "da kine ukulele".

Top Bottom