PDA

View Full Version : Baritone songs

Darylmesa
02-22-2018, 07:36 AM
Looking for baritone uke songs...well I have a tenor tuned to dGBE...
I can play any normal uke songs using same shapes but with a deeper tone or many guitar songs leaving out low e and a strings. But Iím looking for songs that sound good on baritone ukulele..
Not sure if too clear.

Osprey
02-22-2018, 08:20 AM
Looking for baritone uke songs...well I have a tenor tuned to dGBE...
I can play any normal uke songs using same shapes but with a deeper tone or many guitar songs leaving out low e and a strings. But I’m looking for songs that sound good on baritone ukulele..
Not sure if too clear.
http://humblebaritonics.blogspot.com/

Tootler
02-22-2018, 08:21 AM
Tenor tuned dGBE doesn't sound quite the same as a baritone. I have both and they have a different sound which is accentuated by the difference between the reentrant and linear tunings. I use the tenor for strummed accompaniments and the baritone mostly for finger picked accompaniments.

Any song can be played on either, it's a matter of trying them out and seeing which you like. I often try songs on different ukes with different tunings then decide which I like best.

bsfloyd
02-22-2018, 10:09 AM
Echoing what Geoff noted. Though there are different ways to tune the baritone (reentrant, linear, fifths - such as tenor guitar and octave mandolin), I believe the "standard" is linear DGBE. Recently mine has been tuned to standard and I flatpick Celtic and Irish tunes on it.

Darylmesa
02-22-2018, 11:04 AM
I have my tenor strung with Living Waters dGBE and the sound is very nice and natural with great tension.

Croaky Keith
02-22-2018, 10:24 PM
I think you will find HumbleBaritonics tunes are all for standard DGBE, not re entrant dGBE, which is best for strumming, I think. :)

kissing
02-25-2018, 03:37 AM
The answer is "All songs" can sound good on baritone ukulele... or any ukulele for that matter.

It's just an ukulele tuned in a different key, giving it a deeper voice.
One could argue "more" music sounds right on a baritone ukulele than a conventional ukulele, because for the rest of the world, more songs were written with guitar in mind, and the baritone is pretty much a guitar with 4 strings.