PDA

View Full Version : New Martin M610 Strings - CAUTION WITH FIRST RUN

Ragtop232
02-23-2018, 04:42 AM
I received my new Martin M610 Concert strings a couple days ago. I can report these are very nice strings and best described by 50% fluorocarbon 50% NylGut sound. They have the very nice playability of fluorocarbon and some of the punch, but also balanced out with the mellowness of NylGut Strings. I think these are going to be a hit. Also the gray string color looks nice.

However, I assume it's the first run, but there's a labeling mistake with the inner string envelopes. They have reversed the labels, so be cautious if you order some of the first run. I haven't tried the M605 or M615 strings to know if they are mislabeled, but the M610's are as seen below.

sbanacho
02-23-2018, 02:44 PM
Haha, and thanks for the heads up. Maybe you should send it to Martin just in case they don't know.

Ragtop232
02-23-2018, 03:20 PM
I have contacted the retailer I purchased them from and they contacted Martin.

DownUpDave
02-23-2018, 11:52 PM
I received my new Martin M610 Concert strings a couple days ago. I can report these are very nice strings and best described by 50% fluorocarbon 50% NylGut sound. They have the very nice playability of fluorocarbon and some of the punch, but also balanced out with the mellowness of NylGut Strings. I think these are going to be a hit. Also the gray string color looks nice.

However, I assume it's the first run, but there's a labeling mistake with the inner string envelopes. They have reversed the labels, so be cautious if you order some of the first run. I haven't tried the M605 or M615 strings to know if they are mislabeled, but the M610's are as seen below.

I looked and looked and looked at the packaging and I am not sure what you are saying is "reversed". The only thing I can think of is you are referring to the sound hole picture with string position indicated. If that was a music sheet you are correct it would be reversed but it is a picture of the front of a ukulele. Because of this the packaging picture is correct. #I is at the bottom, #4 is at the top.

If I have got this wrong please fill me in as I am trying to understand. Thanks.

Rakelele
02-24-2018, 01:04 AM
Dave, what he meant is that on the white envelopes, the G is labelled as "1st", the C as "2nd", the E as "3rd", and the A as "4th", whereas the green package has the reversed order, which is conventionally correct (A=1, E=2, C=3, G=4). According to the white envelopes, you'd have to use the thickest string for the E instead of the C, and the thinnest for the G instead of the A.

To be honest, I think this says a lot about their "expertise"; maybe this sort of confusion is the reason for why their saddles are compensated so counterintuitively (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?131235-Don-t-understand-modern-Martin-S1-Uke-saddle-compensation)... :confused: :uhoh:

DownUpDave
02-24-2018, 01:22 AM
Dave, what he meant is that on the white envelopes, the G is labelled as "1st", the C as "2nd", the E as "3rd", and the A as "4th", whereas the green package has the reversed order, which is conventionally correct (A=1, E=2, C=3, G=4).

To be honest, I think this says a lot about their "expertise"; maybe this sort of confusion is the reason for why their saddles are compensated so counterintuitively (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?131235-Don-t-understand-modern-Martin-S1-Uke-saddle-compensation)... :confused: :uhoh:

Thanks Rainer, I knew I must have been missing something. Not enough coffee this morning :o

Ragtop232
02-24-2018, 01:44 AM
Rakelele, exactly. If you look at the white envelope, the string is labeled incorrectly, however, they did get the string gauge correct for the corresponding string number. So, the envelope labeled G-1 .0228 should be labeled A-1 .0228, the envelope labeled 2-C .0287 should be labeled 2-E .0287, the envelope labeled 3-E .0318 should be labeled 3-C .0318 and envelope labeled 4-A .0236 should be labeled 4-G .0236.

These strings really do sound great though. You just have to be cautious when putting them on until they get the labeling figured out. This is a collaboration between Martin and Aquila Strings and you would think they would get this right, but sometimes things slip through the cracks I guess.

joekulele
03-20-2018, 05:25 PM
Rakelele, exactly. If you look at the white envelope, the string is labeled incorrectly, however, they did get the string gauge correct for the corresponding string number. So, the envelope labeled G-1 .0228 should be labeled A-1 .0228, the envelope labeled 2-C .0287 should be labeled 2-E .0287, the envelope labeled 3-E .0318 should be labeled 3-C .0318 and envelope labeled 4-A .0236 should be labeled 4-G .0236.

These strings really do sound great though. You just have to be cautious when putting them on until they get the labeling figured out. This is a collaboration between Martin and Aquila Strings and you would think they would get this right, but sometimes things slip through the cracks I guess.

I found the same labeling error on a new pack of M620 tenor fluorocarbons, so apparently this is not an isolated print error. Great strings, but install with caution.

stevepetergal
03-21-2018, 02:27 AM
I would find this problematic. Although I might catch something like this before cutting, I probably wouldn't. I always go by the string number. Thanks for the heads-up.